Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are definitely some players on our list that would be on some inflated contracts that we aren't getting value for money from.

Fiorini is the big one for me. Can't crack the ones but would be on a decent wedge.

Rory Thompson hasn't played in a long time and was signed up to a 4 year deal.

Brodie would be on a big wage comparative to his output as well.

Those 3 are the big wage problems we have. If you clear those 3 out. Replace them with 2 draft picks on small contracts and a good player getting paid a good wage, suddenly we would be looking better.

There are definitely some players on our list that would be on some inflated contracts that we aren't getting value for money from.

Fiorini is the big one for me. Can't crack the ones but would be on a decent wedge.

Rory Thompson hasn't played in a long time and was signed up to a 4 year deal.

Brodie would be on a big wage comparative to his output as well.

Those 3 are the big wage problems we have. If you clear those 3 out. Replace them with 2 draft picks on small contracts and a good player getting paid a good wage, suddenly we would be looking better.
Look, I’m sure our player payments are in a better place strategically than what they were some time ago. This is probably why we tried to offload Wright and Brodie last year because they are providing a dint into our salary cap.

It’s concerning if true, if we are still over paying then this team will not stick together as if (as an example) King becomes a 80 a year goal kicker we have no money to keep him

how does a team like Carlton pay big money for Saad, Williams, McGovan and Martin when you already have Cripps, Walsh etc and still have “wiggle room”
49 players on list compared to 42

Was there not talk last year that we had the room for a ‘bigger type fish’ should the opportunity arise but we were happy to back our kids and not overpay for a mercenary?

I have no doubt we are paying overs for a fair few players, but I also think that article is based on a fair bit of assumption work.

Swallow and Witts would be getting very very well paid.
Part of the deal when we signed them to extensions when everyone else was leaving.
Even though they are playing well, suspect they are still getting over-paid compared to similar players elsewhere.

But the biggest factor has to be the number of extensions we have already given out to good young players.
If you go through the list of our best 20 players, I think almost all are signed for next year already.
Maybe Weller is ooc? And some of the recent draftees.

But the list of contracted players for next year would be very long, so not surprised that our cap we would be full up.

I’ll believe our cap is full when we don’t go after a decent senior recruit at the end of the year. I remember someone from the club (Evans?) last year saying we would have the money to chase a big name at the end of 2021, but not 2020.

It’s concerning if true, if we are still over paying then this team will not stick together as if (as an example) King becomes a 80 a year goal kicker we have no money to keep him

how does a team like Carlton pay big money for Saad, Williams, McGovan and Martin when you already have Cripps, Walsh etc and still have “wiggle room”
Easy to have wriggle room when your sponsors (Nike) pay the players (Cripps) millions as a brand ambassador

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That wouldn't be good for me seeing as stated in another thread, I've booked accomodation and flights from Melbourne to the Gold Coast for this match.
Yeah that sucks, I have a lot of flight credit from not being able to take flights last year, hopefully you can recoup some of it back.

I'm speaking from a purely selfish POV seeing the Suns play in Melbourne 2 weeks in a row would be good.

I don’t know about your accommodation, but airlines have been fairly flexible through this pandemic so far should you need to change plans.
Yeah just don’t know how flexible they’d be though if it’s only because the football got cancelled if our border is still open?

Dew came from a club (Swans) that didn’t rely on stars. They had a core group of 30 who would / could all perform a role when called on. That’s why he also doesn’t care where you’re drafted in order.

What Dew had to say about Flanders contract and Fiorini's chance to make best 22 among other topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Punching on with everyone that doesn't agree with him. Man can write an article though
No denying his ability to write an article and do research. Honestly if he didn’t have his head up his arse he’d probably be alright

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Team!

Just to add to all the listening coming out at the moment!

Matt & Keegan are back for another week to talk all thing Suns. The big win we had over the Kangaroos, the unfortunate injuries that came out of it, Noah Anderson emerging from his best mates shadow and the 'Gold Coast Highway' that ran through Metricon this weekend.

We also touch on the Suns travelling to Adelaide, the potential road trip we may find ourselves on and the fact we have NEVER won at the Adelaide Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back