Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving watching touk rise this year and think its exactly what we need for Rowell/Anderson/Flanders and Hollands to become a force in the middle over the next decade. A more experienced player to take some attention away from these young guys while they develop. Feel like Rowell especially will benefit from maybe only being number 2 in there.
Wouldn't mind seeing touk be captain of our club even as soon as next year. Would help lock him away as I'm sure the big Vic clubs will be sniffing around next year when he becomes a free agent.

Loving watching touk rise this year and think its exactly what we need for Rowell/Anderson/Flanders and Hollands to become a force in the middle over the next decade. A more experienced player to take some attention away from these young guys while they develop. Feel like Rowell especially will benefit from maybe only being number 2 in there.
Wouldn't mind seeing touk be captain of our club even as soon as next year. Would help lock him away as I'm sure the big Vic clubs will be sniffing around next year when he becomes a free agent.
Naturally he will be captain one day. Could be next year as a co-captain

Hey Suns fans,

On our blog this week we discussed Wil Powell. I think he's an absolute star in the making and is one of my favourite players to watch.

Apologies for the long post but I have to post it all here. Full article is here - https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/06/16/ftp-13/

If you like this kind of analysis - Please subscribe to our blog!

I really like Wil Powell’s (#27) game. As a mid-sized defender, Powell is a strong intercept player in the air. For the year, Powell is averaging 6.7 intercepts a game and is 6th amongst defenders not key position sized. On the weekend, Powell had arguably his best game of the year with 26 disposals and 7 marks (including 10 intercepts), 8 rebound 50’s and 3 Inside 50’s.

He is a player that has shown moments or quarters in game throughout the years but is playing with a high level of consistency this year. His confidence to fly horizontally and back into contests is quite rare especially for a player of Powell’s size. It takes quite a bit of courage to jump back into this and mark the ball.

Mid-sized defenders who can play an intercepting role are super important. Players who can chop out a teammate with a spoil or mark the ball and begin offensive rebound through their ball use are worth their weight in gold in the modern AFL. The Suns have two defenders with such capabilities in Ballard and Powell along with the ultra competitive and strong one on one defender in Collins.

One thing that Powell has to be cautious of is that there is greater risk in a small flying for intercept marks. This is because they are usually matched up on a small forward that will never fly with them. This means that Powell has to be certain that he can impact the contest otherwise his match up becomes more dangerous unmarked at ground level.

This is an example on the weekend where Powell decides to fly and spoil to help a teammate. It’s excellent that he provides such support but Powell has to kill this ball out of bounds. He’s lucky that his opponent is a first gamer who doesn’t punish him for the decision.

Powell’s ball use can also be suspect at times.

This along with another first quarter turnover resulted in shots on goal for Fremantle. In order to fully maximise his offensive potential with his marking, he needs to tidy up this part of the game.

Powell’s a member of an important young nucleus at the Gold Coast Sun’s that have a big couple of months ahead of them. We’ve highlighted a number of times this year how Gold Coast have struggled to win any games in the second half of their seasons. They need to take a stand and win multiple games in the next 10 rounds, especially given that their first half of the year has not been as successful as many anticipated coming into the season.
Fantastic analysis mate, Powelly will be top 5 in our B&F for sure. Good to see his junior traits translating at the AFL Level. He's finally got a good run at it and finding some continuity

Mick Warner and Matthew Lloyd teeing off on the club again tonight. It’s getting rather tiring.
Lloyd now saying we were gifted both Rowell and Anderson. The guy is so ill informed and he just tees off because his mate Solomon got the flick. Rowell was pick 1 for finishing last you goose. Warner gets his BS mail from the same anti Dew camp as well. Give it a rest.

Being Captain didn’t work with Uncle Tom or Playboy May But there is no doubt Touk deserves to be captain at some point

Being Captain didn’t work with Uncle Tom or Playboy May But there is no doubt Touk deserves to be captain at some point
It's hard to imagine Touk leaving.
All the guys who have gone yes,Peaheart, O'Cockface, Uncle Tom, Unimpressedwithya,Grablett,but Touk would surprise me

It's hard to imagine Touk leaving.
All the guys who have gone yes,Peaheart, O'Cockface, Uncle Tom, Unimpressedwithya,Grablett,but Touk would surprise me

Touk is made of the right s**t. He bleeds for this club. Love him to death.

Mick Warner and Matthew Lloyd teeing off on the club again tonight. It’s getting rather tiring.
Lloyd now saying we were gifted both Rowell and Anderson. The guy is so ill informed and he just tees off because his mate Solomon got the flick. Rowell was pick 1 for finishing last you goose. Warner gets his BS mail from the same anti Dew camp as well. Give it a rest.

I used to get angry hearing these guys talk trash like that but now I think the club needs the continued criticism because the only way to shut their negativity chat up is to win games

Did anyone give it to Lloyd on socials? Where is it posted?

It's past time for Suns to get real
If Carlton is under full review, surely Gold Coast is, too.

Then again, this club has already had nearly half as many reviews as it has seasons of AFL life, so another one probably wouldn't improve fortunes anyway.

In their 11th year in the AFL, the Suns are again headed for a very low finish. That 50-point losses have become expected, as happened against Port Adelaide on Saturday, is damning, particularly when the 2021 season was touted by the club as the one that finally resulted in a meaningful surge up the ladder.

The club has never finished higher than 12th. Twice it has finished last, on three other occasions, second-last. After 13 matches of 2021, it is where it so often has been – third-last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope noone is getting angry at people digging the boots in. It's all deserved, we have been and still are a genuine laughing stock. Something needs to change or we may longer not have a football club to support
Barrett is repeating what he's been saying all year. It's finally our turn for the heat. Fair bump play on.

We aimed high and now falling low, very low

It's past time for Suns to get real
If Carlton is under full review, surely Gold Coast is, too.

Then again, this club has already had nearly half as many reviews as it has seasons of AFL life, so another one probably wouldn't improve fortunes anyway.

In their 11th year in the AFL, the Suns are again headed for a very low finish. That 50-point losses have become expected, as happened against Port Adelaide on Saturday, is damning, particularly when the 2021 season was touted by the club as the one that finally resulted in a meaningful surge up the ladder.

The club has never finished higher than 12th. Twice it has finished last, on three other occasions, second-last. After 13 matches of 2021, it is where it so often has been – third-last.

David king was crying about the crowd size on first crack but giants had the same size crowd against the blues and they’re regularly playing finals and a grand final a couple of years ago and when we played the blues we had 11k

I hope noone is getting angry at people digging the boots in. It's all deserved, we have been and still are a genuine laughing stock. Something needs to change or we may longer not have a football club to support

The thing I’m angry about is all the comments on social media saying shut the club down ect it’s hard to read as a fan and not worth replying to otherwise just getting yourself worked up over nothing you can control

David king was crying about the crowd size on first crack but giants had the same size crowd against the blues and they’re regularly playing finals and a grand final a couple of years ago and when we played the blues we had 11k

The thing I’m angry about is all the comments on social media saying shut the club down ect it’s hard to read as a fan and not worth replying to otherwise just getting yourself worked up over nothing you can control
And.... what if these people had their club being told to be shut down and relocated? They wouldn’t like it

Of course we deserve the spotlight. I’d just like these experts to dissect what’s gone wrong & why we haven’t progressed this season. Why we pushed Richmond, Geelong, Bulldogs last year and are now non competitive against top teams.
We lost no one and got another pre season into the kids.
Is it the new game plan?
Is it a change of game plan? First 8 games 122 marks a game. Last 5 averaged 87 marks.
Is it a lack of on field leaders?
Is it a confidence thing?
Port & Lions made us look like witches hats last year as well. Is it match ups?
I just would like opinions on why rather than just, it’s a Gold Coast thing, kids will leave, should relocate to Tasmania etc.
If he’s lost the group we’ll soon know.
If so, is it the taxing game style or on a personal level. I don’t know. Maybe it’s a mixture of all of the above.
It’s just a cheap shot pile on by these experts rather than offering their thoughts on why

I don't understand that if we have 20,000 members who pay good money to support the club - why the F... aren't they at the games! I suspect many are these cheap three game memberships or some similar s**t like that. If people do not attend - we will lose in a very big way and not just on the field.

You just wonder if we will ever get to know how the club would be going if we were able to have a modicum of success like the Giants have had, and whether that is just impetus the club needs to get on the right track.

The issue now is the talent is here and we are on the clock to convert talent into success before the talent gets up and leaves.

There needs to be a review of the club from the Football Manager down (I'm happy with Evans but maybe even he is not above scrutiny). Change needs to happen and fast.

Dew has the rest of the year to right the ship or GTFO.

You just wonder if we will ever get to know how the club would be going if we were able to have a modicum of success like the Giants have had, and whether that is just impetus the club needs to get on the right track.

The issue now is the talent is here and we are on the clock to convert talent into success before the talent gets up and leaves.

There needs to be a review of the club from the Football Manager down (I'm happy with Evans but maybe even he is not above scrutiny). Change needs to happen and fast.

Again I say the same thing. Supporters can’t make it happen. The players and this ‘talent’ are on the park and are the only ones that can perform on field.

Have a look at that Collingwood game in 2014. The joint was pulsating. Most of footy crazed Melbourne are also presently moving up there! The crowds will come if we find success.

Of course we deserve the spotlight. I’d just like these experts to dissect what’s gone wrong & why we haven’t progressed this season. Why we pushed Richmond, Geelong, Bulldogs last year and are now non competitive against top teams.
We lost no one and got another pre season into the kids.
Is it the new game plan?
Is it a change of game plan? First 8 games 122 marks a game. Last 5 averaged 87 marks.
Is it a lack of on field leaders?
Is it a confidence thing?
Port & Lions made us look like witches hats last year as well. Is it match ups?
I just would like opinions on why rather than just, it’s a Gold Coast thing, kids will leave, should relocate to Tasmania etc.
If he’s lost the group we’ll soon know.
If so, is it the taxing game style or on a personal level. I don’t know. Maybe it’s a mixture of all of the above.
It’s just a cheap shot pile on by these experts rather than offering their thoughts on why

Excellent call.

But that would require making an extra effort for the mostly Melbourne based media with a mostly Melbourne based audience, an audience who frankly don't give a damn unless they are playing us. The audience is not asking for a deep dive on the Suns, they are looking for info on whether they can recruit our young talent.

We should expect more genuine analysis from the local journos (including Fish), and at least an attempt at a deep dive from the Fox Footy analysts like King and Montagna. Need more nuance from that group since, you know, they are supposed to be a bit nuanced and not just opinion.

How many did the Roos get to their game on the weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back