Not open for further replies.
It's important to maintain our indigenous game's traditions
I don't even know or care what a jersey is
Guernseys are like stops
They are our curiosities and we are all the better for them
"Jersey" and "cleats" can GAGF
Don't get me started on the Kokoda "Trail"
*rant off*
I will contend Sandy that cleats are slightly different to footy boots, I had a pair of both during my handegg "career"

1634960651090.png 1634960758735.png

But 100%; Kakoda is a "Track"

I will contend Sandy that cleats are slightly different to footy boots, I had a pair of both during my handegg "career"

View attachment 1266316View attachment 1266318

But 100%; Kakoda is a "Track"

In Victoria studs are referred to as stops and I believe as cleats in other jurisdictions?
My dad used to hammer them into his boot soles and there was a guy in the sheds whose job was to do
just that

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Confirmed Harbrow has a full time role with the club.
Could be paid outside the cap as an indigenous coach I believe.
Good initiative from the AFL - small step to hopefully eventually promoting more indigenous coaching at grassroots levels too.
Keeping Harbs post-playing career is big for us. He has a huge influence on our indigenous program and I'm sure he's helped enormously with indigenous player retention. More generally, I really like the idea of hiring former players to take up important roles at the club. Clearly Harbs bled for our club and stuck around when the times were tough despite likely receiving offers to go to other clubs that were contending for a flag at the time. These are types of guys that have a genuine passion for the Gold Coast Footy Club and are going to drive the culture from a non-playing perspective. Harbs currently holds the games record at our club and although he will be overtaken one day, he will always be a club legend that deserves a huge amount of respect. The same can be said about guys like Swallow and Day who really should be offered roles at the club once their playing days are over. The influence of retaining a club legend can't be underestimated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keeping Harbs post-playing career is big for us. He has a huge influence on our indigenous program and I'm sure he's helped enormously with indigenous player retention. More generally, I really like the idea of hiring former players to take up important roles at the club. Clearly Harbs bled for our club and stuck around when the times were tough despite likely receiving offers to go to other clubs that were contending for a flag at the time. These are types of guys that have a genuine passion for the Gold Coast Footy Club and are going to drive the culture from a non-playing perspective. Harbs currently holds the games record at our club and although he will be overtaken one day, he will always be a club legend that deserves a huge amount of respect. The same can be said about guys like Swallow and Day who really should be offered roles at the club once their playing days are over. The influence of retaining a club legend can't be underestimated.
Sam day is a club legend?

certainly we should actively try and keep influential leaders and thinkers involved in the club post retirement - but that’s not necessarily every guy who played their career with us.

Sam day is a club legend?

certainly we should actively try and keep influential leaders and thinkers involved in the club post retirement - but that’s not necessarily every guy who played their career with us.
Bit harsh to suggest Sammy isn't a club legend. He's only seven games away from life membership, has played the fourth most games for us of any player, has been as loyal as anyone when other clubs have enquired about his services and is willing to play wherever he is needed (including VFL). I know he's had plenty of injuries over the 10+ years he's been with us but he may well yet play an important role for us in this next push towards the finals. I'm certain that Day would be loved internally and is deserving of the tag of 'club legend'. That's my opinion.

I agree that not every former player can be retained but I do believe there should be ample opportunity for our former players to move into a non-playing role at our club if they are deemed suitable. We've already got guys like local junior and former Sun Andrew Raines heavily involved in the academy program and now Harbs is involved in the indigenous program. Soon we'll start to hire former players as assistant coaches and eventually we'll have a former player serving as our head coach.

Bit harsh to suggest Sammy isn't a club legend. He's only seven games away from life membership, has played the fourth most games for us of any player, has been as loyal as anyone when other clubs have enquired about his services and is willing to play wherever he is needed (including VFL). I know he's had plenty of injuries over the 10+ years he's been with us but he may well yet play an important role for us in this next push towards the finals. I'm certain that Day would be loved internally and is deserving of the tag of 'club legend'. That's my opinion.

I agree that not every former player can be retained but I do believe there should be ample opportunity for our former players to move into a non-playing role at our club if they are deemed suitable. We've already got guys like local junior and former Sun Andrew Raines heavily involved in the academy program and now Harbs is involved in the indigenous program. Soon we'll start to hire former players as assistant coaches and eventually we'll have a former player serving as our head coach.

Sorry, but I'm with The Kings Ransom . Day is a much respected member of the Suns, deservedly so, and been with us since day 1 but when he hangs up his boots, hopefully after receiving Life Membership, he'll be rewarded in some significant way, but to class him as "a legend" is way over the top, imo.

Further to that, when you're done with your crystal ball, can you shoot it over my way, cause I'd like to know if I'll still be kicking, when "a former player becomes our Head Coach" ;););)

Who else has enquired about his services?

Has he ever been part of the leadership group?

I’m for ex players to stay involved. Whether it’s doing a talk for the first year players about making the most of it, or taking a few sessions on goal kicking for the academy kids, right up to official roles with the senior squad there are many ways for people to stay involved. Hopeful that our senior players are keen to do that at retirement, but not everyone is going to be coach material.

Maybe I went too far by stating Day is a club legend but I guess we really need a definitive way of defining 'club legend' status to settle this. Would 200 games be enough or do people want more than that? How about 250? I'd like to point out that Day is 29 so there's still time for him to gain legendary status.

Would I be correct in saying most people would consider Harbrow to be a club legend?

Who else has enquired about his services?

Has he ever been part of the leadership group?

I’m for ex players to stay involved. Whether it’s doing a talk for the first year players about making the most of it, or taking a few sessions on goal kicking for the academy kids, right up to official roles with the senior squad there are many ways for people to stay involved. Hopeful that our senior players are keen to do that at retirement, but not everyone is going to be coach material.
I remember early on there was talk that the Crows wanted Day in return for Tippett but that never eventuated. I'm sure other clubs have also enquired over the last decade as well.

I don't think you need to have been in the leadership group to be a club legend. It helps your case but I don't think it's a prerequisite by any means.

I just think keeping ex players around the club helps drive the passion. You need passionate people around your club to keep everyone 100% invested. Passion is infectious when you're inside the four walls of a sports club. Mind you, I can accept that the majority of our former players simply aren't suitable for any of the non-playing roles at our club and therefore will never end up working for us in that way.

Side question - Does anyone know if Kurt Tippett is still coaching with us next year or was he let go?

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't consider any player a club legend on our list at the moment. Hard to reach that level when there has been so little success, the only way you can really do it is if you play a lot of games at a very high level, feature heavily in a successful period, or have a profound effect on the club itself.

Harbrow would be close, by the end of his career I think Swallow will be around the mark as well.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider any player a club legend on our list at the moment. Hard to reach that level when there has been so little success, the only way you can really do it is if you play a lot of games at a very high level, feature heavily in a successful period, or have a profound effect on the club itself.

Harbrow would be close, by the end of his career I think Swallow will be around the mark as well.
This might not be popular but surely Gary Ablett Jr would be the most deserving of legend status with us? Brownlow medal, 4x All Australian, 4x BnF winner, 6 years as captain, 2x leading goalkicker, 100+ games etc.

Ablett, Harbrow, Swallow are the only 3 who are a tier above anyone else.

Not yet legends but something above the common man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back