Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe other people see something I don't with Farrar but he's only 2 years younger than Lemmens, his disposal isn't amazing and he doesn't defend, just plays the loose rebounding role which is our position of least need.

Lemmens is our best small/medium stopper. He's in my first 10 picked each week after this year.
I'm not saying Farrar is a loose rebounder but we will need a loose rebounder now Bowes is going into the midfield, Lukosius forward & Harbrow retired.

We will need that accumulator off half back now Bowes averaged 21 & Lukosius averaged 20 are now higher up, Markov averaged 17 while Farrar averaged 15 as a third tall.

Powell is an interceptor and Lemmens is a lockdown.

Farrar, Atkins, Weller, Budarick, Uwland & Hollands should all get the chance to play that role next year. We need someone to get 20-25 touches, with a nice lethal leg to hit blokes on the chest.

Farrar went at a pretty high efficiency rate but i do recall he went plenty of safe options, but that is fine Jake Lloyd made a career out of it.

I'm not saying Farrar is a loose rebounder but we will need a loose rebounder now Bowes is going into the midfield, Lukosius forward & Harbrow retired.

We will need that accumulator off half back now Bowes averaged 21 & Lukosius averaged 20 are now higher up, Markov averaged 17 while Farrar averaged 15 as a third tall.

Farrar, Atkins, Weller, Budarick, Uwland & Hollands should all get the chance to play that role next year. We need someone to get 20-25 touches, with a nice lethal leg to hit blokes on the chest.

Farrar went at a pretty high efficiency rate but i do recall he went plenty of safe options, but that is fine Jake Lloyd made a career out of it.
Uwland off HB is a joy to behold - hopefully he gets a good run at it before heading into the middle in a few years BUT he's good!

Uwland off HB is a joy to behold - hopefully he gets a good run at it before heading into the middle in a few years BUT he's good!
Uwland playing off the halfback line makes a lot of sense considering we need an accumulator with Bowes and Luko being thrusted further up the ground. Bodhi played halfback for our VFL team during a three game stretch this year and this is how he went:

R9 v Sydney - 19 disposals, 7 marks, 3 tackles
R10 v Aspley - 11 disposals, 3 marks, 1 tackle
R15 v Aspley - 17 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles

Those are pretty good numbers for a 17 year old playing against AFL listed players/grown men in the VFL and it's probably worth noting that we won those three VFL games. Uwland is only 2cms shorter than Bowes so it's not like we'd be losing a lot of height by doing this.

“It’s an interesting question,” Murdoch said.

“The talent on that list is incredible, and the players themselves and their attitudes cannot be faulted.

“They’re almost trying too hard in my opinion, something I think the best clubs do, having talked to others at Richmond and other clubs, is they really time it well, and mental fatigue is put on a pedestal a lot higher than physical fitness.

“What I think they could be doing better is giving guys a bit more rest of switch off from the rigours of AFL footy, the programs and that sort of stuff and giving them a bit more ownership over their careers.

“It’s quite sort of micro-managed, and the boys sort of turn into robots a little bit.”

The Suns have often started their season brightly only to fade away as the year goes on.

They were in the top eight after round four in 2019, round seven in 2020 and were 10th on the ladder after seven rounds this year.

They finished in the bottom five on the ladder each year.

If the Suns are to get better, Murdoch believes it will come through off-field improvements to the footy program.

“For example … basically the guys are mentally exhausted by the time the middle of the year comes around, and you’ve got a stage where not long after the season is over you’ve got a fair majority of the list, because it’s so young, given off-season programs to the letter of the law, and they don’t get the break that you should get,” Murdoch continued.

“You don’t really get away from the footy program, the boys are supremely fit it’s nothing to do with fitness, and like I said their attitudes are exemplary, they’re doing everything that’s being asked of them, it’s just I think they’re doing too much at it means they start to peak by the time the pre-season games come around.

“You see some really good performances and everyone gets excited, even in the first couple of rounds you get really excited with Gold Coast’s form.

“But year after year after year, as long as I can remember, you hit sort of the mid-season mark and there’s a big drop off, you’re not even thinking finals with that sort of stuff.

“It’s a long-rounded answer but it’s my way of saying there has to be something changed around that overall mindset before you’re going to get a change in the club itself, in terms of winning performances.”

Possibly an over correction from the early days where structures could be generously described as loose

It’s also an interesting juxtaposition with Suns players being criticised midseason for attending a party after a big loss. Personally I’ve been very impressed with footage of Suns players running & competing in triathlons this off-season. I prefer to see that than to see them relaxing in Santorini or the Maldives. Touk has worked the hardest in the last couple of off-seasons & has translated that into his play, but I still think Murdoch’s comments should be considered. Michael Whiting has made similar comments about our players being just as fit & just as professional as the Lions, yet we’re not getting the same results.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s also an interesting juxtaposition with Suns players being criticised midseason for attending a party after a big loss. Personally I’ve been very impressed with footage of Suns players running & competing in triathlons this off-season. I prefer to see that than to see them relaxing in Santorini or the Maldives. Touk has worked the hardest in the last couple of off-seasons & has translated that into his play, but I still think Murdoch’s comments should be considered. Michael Whiting has made similar comments about our players being just as fit & just as professional as the Lions, yet we’re not getting the same results.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree...and I might be wrong here but I reckon Brisbane have been blessed the past few years with very few injuries...

I think a lot of it also comes down to the players having too much pressure on them to start winning. Everyone expects us to start challenging which places added pressure on a young group who really don’t know how to back up and win consistently anyway.

This is where the new senior assistant coach and the new head if football earn their coin, and work with Dew to make adjustments to our preparation.
I definitely agree it's now mostly mental part of the game and maturing. I believe you could see a shift already in 2022. Suns did not look at their best at the beginning of 2021 season. Quite the opposite, Suns were 1 win and 4 losses.

I would argue Suns best footy came after bye starting with Richmond win. I can't actually remember when was it the last time Suns won 3 games after bye if ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a lot of it also comes down to the players having too much pressure on them to start winning. Everyone expects us to start challenging which places added pressure on a young group who really don’t know how to back up and win consistently anyway.
This is probably an underestimated point. Players feels just as much as supporters that they need to start winning.

I definitely agree it's now mostly mental part of the game and maturing. I believe you could see a shift already in 2022. Suns did not look at their best at the beginning of 2021 season. Quite the opposite, Suns were 1 win and 4 losses.

I would argue Suns best footy came after bye starting with Richmond win. I can't actually remember when was it the last time Suns won 3 games after bye if ever.
Should be noted in the context of current events that all 3 wins came without the aid of Judas Greenwood

After Miller signed a five-year contract extension last week, Powell says the playing group got a “massive boost” from the news, which was evident in the energy from the club’s first training session.

“(Touk is) a massive figure and leader, he just epitomises the club.

“If he's doing something right everyone would jump on the back of him and he will take the lead and we’ll happily follow him.”

Davies sounds like a very determined young man! Only 19 but already sounds confident of cementing a starting midfield spot from round 1 next year. Even Greenwood appears to know Davies was going to overtake him. The rumour is Davies was playing heavy last year after putting on 8-10kg but has leaned out over the off season break and is now sitting at a solid weight of 91kg as a 191cm midfielder.

Getting Harbrow's number 5 jumper is a nice touch, not only because they are both from Cairns but also because Davies was coached by Harbs' brother Marc at the Manunda Hawks just a few years ago. It's a lot to live up to considering Harbs is our current games record holder as well as our first ever playing club life member but I get the feeling Davies is up for the challenge.

Last edited:
Sa mates rate Rayson , not sure why we would consider Fejo when he couldnt get a game as a 20 year old at West Adelaide who apparently had a shocking season though he apparently is Jeffery cousin so you never know
No harm in letting Ronald Fejo Jr train with us over the summer and I'm pretty sure he's choose us over Essendon because of the Jeffrey connection. The article below says Jeffrey was Fejo's inspiration to chase his dream of an AFL career and the two grew up like brothers in Darwin, despite Jeffrey actually being Fejo's uncle. If nothing else, the kid definitely has some athletic ability after finishing third in the SA Draft Combine agility test (8.08 sec) and second in the standing vertical jump test (70cm). He's a 178cm quick outside mid who believes he plays like Brad Hill due to his speed, evasiveness and kicking skills. For the record, Brad Hill is 179cm tall.

No harm in letting Ronald Fejo Jr train with us over the summer and I'm pretty sure he's choose us over Essendon because of the Jeffrey connection. The article below says Jeffrey was Fejo's inspiration to chase his dream of an AFL career and the two grew up like brothers in Darwin, despite Jeffrey actually being Fejo's uncle. If nothing else, the kid definitely has some athletic ability after finishing third in the SA Draft Combine agility test (8.08 sec) and second in the standing vertical jump test (70cm). He's a 178cm quick outside mid who believes he plays like Brad Hill due to his speed, evasiveness and kicking skills. For the record, Brad Hill is 179cm tall.

He had insane disposal efficiency in the SANFL/SANFL RESERVES.
92% over his season whilst getting a fair bit of the ball.

Some kids commit and find motivation at a late age. Eg. Tom Stewart

Seems to have the commitment and some afl traits we seem to lack right now. One to watch

Fejo will start training with Essendon.
Dylan Clarke, who was the last Essendon player delisted, will try to win back his spot from Monday, while Ronald Fejo jnr will also start training then.

Suns
List spots available: 2 (including one category B rookie)

Nathan Freeman will try to force his way onto the Suns’ list with a pre-season audition but he may have some competition. Gold Coast will decide next week whether to add further train-on players – but won’t sign a second category B rookie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back