Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor trade but not one I lose sleep over tbh.

Weller is a good player and would suck to not have Ballard...
Yeah easy in hindsight, yet have we not made the trade despite it being pretty poor, we would likely be in a worse spot with Ballard being so key.

Who honestly gives a f***.
That was 4 years ago. We are finally in a good place as a club and this is what everyone wants to talk about?
Fmd
Agree.........can't change anything. It's done, move on..... the only thing you get from continually looking back..........is a sore neck

Who honestly gives a f***.
That was 4 years ago. We are finally in a good place as a club and this is what everyone wants to talk about?
Fmd
Spot on, let's talk about how we have all of our talent signed up long term or that we previously picked up Collins and Witts for packets of chips and are both in AA contention atm and leaders at the Suns. No one is denying some silly trades but no need to second guess them when the Suns are arguably in the best position they've ever been in.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Suns hadn’t been smashed by the media much this season so we were overdue. I block out much of what that flog Kane Cornes talks about

Suns hadn’t been smashed by the media much this season so we were overdue. I block out much of what that flog Kane Cornes talks about
Feels like this will be one of the last times a media member will be able to bring up an old slam piece about us and people take notice. We're doing a lot of things right at the moment and Kane Cornes had to bring up a trade from almost five years ago in order to criticise us.

Does anyone in the media ever talk about the Brisbane Lions delisting Ben Keays at the end of 2019 and then Keays going on to finish 5th in the Crows' 2020 B&F count and 2nd in their 2021 B&F count? If it has been a topic of discussion, it's been few and far between. Certainly nothing like the flak we've copped for essentially doing the same thing with Jarryd Lyons. If anything, the Keays delisting is worse than the Lyons delisting when you look at what both players have been able to achieve at their respective new clubs. You don't hear about it though because you can't really criticise a team's list management decisions when they've been firmly placed in the top 4 for most of the last four seasons.

If we stay around the top 8 or even qualify for the finals this year then I think these old list management slam stories will be a thing of the past and we should start getting the credit we deserve for retaining guys like Ben King when all the vultures down south were after him. We've clearly moved on from guys like Lyons and Greenwood but the media are still lagging behind in that regard. Just quickly on the 2017 trade/draft period, we'll never actually know who we were going to take with pick 2 (even though all reports at the time suggested we were keen on LDU) but we were still able to secure Weller, Powell, Ballard and Holman in that off season so I don't think anyone should be too disappointed with what happened. Those four have clearly been a big part of our rise up the ladder and would all be considered best 22 players when healthy.

Not sure how many people are aware of this but Matthew Pavlich said on the Hall of Fame coverage tonight that he had a big offer to join our club and he turned it down to stay loyal to Fremantle. I can only assume that was in 2010 when we were assembling our inaugural list and a peak 28 year old Pavlich was dominating for the Dockers with 60+ goals in a single season. As it turned out, Pavlich lasted another six seasons and played well in most of those seasons, with the highlight being the 2012 season where he kicked a career high 69 goals.

What could have been, hey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collins - the ultimate team player.
"I think I've been able to do that this season. I'm sure that, externally, I probably don't get the recognition that I get internally. But that's not what I'm after. I want Stuey to come up and say, 'great game, you played your role for the team'. That's all I'm after. It's been really pleasing this season and hopefully we can keep building on it."
"It's a really young group of guys, but we're all on the same path and we understand the opportunity to be the first to play finals which is really exciting. I absolutely love the environment, I love what we have to experience every day in terms of the beach, the Hinterland, the lifestyle. It's really amazing.

"The club itself, it's a really special club to be part of. I think we're all on the same page now and we've got a really complete list that can hopefully propel us to go forward and be the first to play finals."

Last edited:
Just watch Clayton when he signed off on Weller's trade. No chance it was his decision. Evans written all over it.
The deal was actually worse than what Kane has reported as if you remember Clayton sold 4x2nd rounders for the Eagles first pick ( turned out to be pick 18) as the pick he was going to on sell to Freo for Weller. But the didn’t even ask if Freo would accept that pick before making the deal. It was just incredibly stupid from the CEO, list manager and player and the whole football world knew it at the time and even now several years later.

Who knows who we would of picked and how well Weller May of developed at Freo, it was a facepalm moment but it can’t be changed so we move on

Absolutely love this push from the club! Would be great if the locals could get behind the club, fill the stands and help create some formidable noise for the lads. Connor has a point in 2014 Metricon was "rocking'' would be nice to see it get back to that and become a fortress for the players.

The deal was actually worse than what Kane has reported as if you remember Clayton sold 4x2nd rounders for the Eagles first pick ( turned out to be pick 18) as the pick he was going to on sell to Freo for Weller. But the didn’t even ask if Freo would accept that pick before making the deal. It was just incredibly stupid from the CEO, list manager and player and the whole football world knew it at the time and even now several years later.

Who knows who we would of picked and how well Weller May of developed at Freo, it was a facepalm moment but it can’t be changed so we move on
We would of probably ended up grabbing Scrimshaw 2.0 no doubt, i dont think were looking at Brayshaw regardless, im pretty sure it was LDU.

Absolutely love this push from the club! Would be great if the locals could get behind the club, fill the stands and help create some formidable noise for the lads. Connor has a point in 2014 Metricon was "rocking'' would be nice to see it get back to that and become a fortress for the players.

I watched yesterday that fateful Suns vs Collingwood game at Metricon, round 16, 2014. Sold out, 24K, it did look like a great atmosphere but bloody hell again it looked like majority were opposition fans.

So we've got just over 18k members right now according to this report. If we keep winning then you'd have to think we're going to break the membership record and finally crack 20k for the first time. That's a significant milestone for our club.

I am going to every game for the rest of the season except Collingwood and Brisbane

We move on but if you don't learn from history you are destined to repeat it.

We learned enough about Scott Clayton so we didn't have to repeat that disaster going forward.

Spot on. The reason why Clayton looked so ****ed when he made the deal was probably not giving up pick 2, as Evans probably said that he had to, but that he had already cooked himself with that terrible Eagles trade that he thought would achieve the Weller trade on its own but he severely miscalculated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back