Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you a coach or what? :p Suns were actually way more consistent in 2022 with much improved percentage. Every team has a couple of games off. Growing injuries list after bye hurt us more than people realize.

Watch out Collingwood, we will get you next year :) No dream run for you, haha. Are you bullish about your team next season?

I still can't believe Suns lost to Collingwood at Metricon, 12 points up with 8 min to go and playing mostly better footy until that time. Some no calls in last 2 min still haunts me. Close losses in this game and against Port previous week decided our fate in 2022.
Oh I know the suns were definitely more competitive, and maybe there was some unrealistic expectations that they should have played finals. A few results going the other way probably could have. But finals football is a big step up. There is definitely more expectation that 2023 has to be the year. Going with the way you played, it didn't feel they would be ready for that kind of intensity that finals brings. Might have been a shell shock; but there should be no excuses now. They are mature enough.
Add King in in 2022 and some of those losses wouldn't have been losses. But some players had career best years, and also adding more experience and depth definitely helps.

yeah, I was at that game. My friends and I had written the game off in that last quarter, the suns were all over the pies, and while you shouldn't have let it happen -- the pies just find a way to win. I didn't expect it. Probably worse that it came in the final few minutes.

As of next year? There will be a tougher draw, and won't have the kind of freak wins that we did this year -- and really, even those could have easily been on the other side of it and the end result could have been much different... just this will to win like I've never seen before tbh.
Another pre-season under some of the kids, Nick... wants to go another step forward, adding Mitchell to help our clearances, and adding in McStay which will help out Mihocek, who was cooked from midseason --I'm convinced he was injured. Frampton will help the defensive options down back.

I'm a bit bullish, but will need to be better and get better in the winning aspect. Cant keep having close games, but I imagine another pre-season with this new game plan and new coach it'll go a long way. Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

I saw that. I couldn't believe it, as I had it in my mind he had been married for a number of years haha.
Yeah I naturally assumed the same. But whos to say, Maybe he's one of those blokes that doesn't want to settle down till their in their 30s?

Are you a coach or what? :p Suns were actually way more consistent in 2022 with much improved percentage. Every team has a couple of games off. Growing injuries list after bye hurt us more than people realize.

Watch out Collingwood, we will get you next year :) No dream run for you, haha. Are you bullish about your team next season?

I still can't believe Suns lost to Collingwood at Metricon, 12 points up with 8 min to go and playing mostly better footy until that time. Some no calls in last 2 min still haunts me. Close losses in this game and against Port previous week decided our fate in 2022.
Ugh, Thanks for the reminder. I remember sitting there at Metricon long after the siren had gone with my head in my hands. One of the most bitter pills I've ever had to swallow.

Yeah I naturally assumed the same. But whos to say, Maybe he's one of those blokes that doesn't want to settle down till their in their 30s?

Ugh, Thanks for the reminder. I remember sitting there at Metricon long after the siren had gone with my head in my hands. One of the most bitter pills I've ever had to swallow.

And we all know you’ve done a lot of swallowing. SUNS told me that’s what he likes most about you.

Buddy and Jesinta have bought another property on the Gold Coast - this time a $9 million mansion in the Hinterland. I'm just going throw this out there, is it possible that Buddy ends up playing for us in 2024? I think we're all expecting him to be done with the Swans this time next year with the intention of the family relocating to the GC to be based in the same city as Jesinta's parents but could he possibly be waiting for us to open our finals window before moving here and ending his career with us? We know there were rumours of him potentially joining the Lions a few months ago but I'd suggest we would have also been in that discussion if we'd played finals this year.

If we finish, let's say, 6th next year and win a final or two then surely Bud could be tempted to replace Casboult for a year or two in the hopes of winning another flag. I think it'd be fair to say we'd be in a better position to offer him a place in our forward line than Brisbane will be considering both Hipwood and Daniher will be in their physical primes whereas we'll be in a position where we need to replace a likely retiring Casboult. Some might argue we're already half way there...

l5kq9I9.jpg

Buddy and Jesinta have bought another property on the Gold Coast - this time a $9 million mansion in the Hinterland. I'm just going throw this out there, is it possible that Buddy ends up playing for us in 2024? I think we're all expecting him to be done with the Swans this time next year with the intention of the family relocating to the GC to be based in the same city as Jesinta's parents but could he possibly be waiting for us to open our finals window before moving here and ending his career with us? We know there were rumours of him potentially joining the Lions a few months ago but I'd suggest we would have also been in that discussion if we'd played finals this year.

If we finish, let's say, 6th next year and win a final or two then surely Bud could be tempted to replace Casboult for a year or two in the hopes of winning another flag. I think it'd be fair to say we'd be in a better position to offer him a place in our forward line than Brisbane will be considering both Hipwood and Daniher will be in their physical primes whereas we'll be in a position where we need to replace a likely retiring Casboult. Some might argue we're already half way there...

l5kq9I9.jpg
He should have retired this year, was barely going by the end of the season. Sure he'll have a few good moments next year but there is no way the Sun's should sign him.

He should have retired this year, was barely going by the end of the season. Sure he'll have a few good moments next year but there is no way the Sun's should sign him.
You don't think 50+ goals in the home and away season is a good return for a key forward?

l5kq9I9.jpg
* me really? We have no need for him, he looks almost cooked now.
What is your obsession with Buddy playing for us.

You don't think 50+ goals in the home and away season is a good return for a key forward?
It is, but did you watch him toward the end of the year?

And you're talking after another year.

Just IMO but getting old great players is not a good strategy.

* me really? We have no need for him, he looks almost cooked now.
What is your obsession with Buddy playing for us.
Sorry, mate. He's just the greatest forward of the modern era but if you don't rate him then I guess we should all move on and never talk about him again. Sarcasm aside, it's not every day that a current AFL player buys an expensive property on the Gold Coast while contracted to play for a team based in another state. At the very least it's a talking point and perhaps Dew's existing relationship with him from their Hawthorn days could mean he gets involved with us off the field. Is that something you'd rather discuss?

It is, but did you watch him toward the end of the year?

And you're talking after another year.

Just IMO but getting old great players is not a good strategy.
It worked quite well for Brisbane when they recruited a 34 year old Luke Hodge who gave them two really solid years and helped open their finals window. I understand that Buddy's slightly older (35) but some players are certainly capable of playing solid footy in their late 30s. Shaun Burgoyne would be an example of a recent player who was still playing solid footy in his late 30s. Dustin Fletcher, Brent Harvey etc etc.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't one of the players interested in coming to us in the recent trade period. We are pretty flush with forwards now and getting topped up with walter next year, really not a need like it would have been a couple years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to train in the gym where Nam used to bring the Suns players in. He is very good at what he does. That stuff isn't bullshit.

Lock it in

We've got the Swans at home in Round 1

March 18th 7pm

Lock it in

We've got the Swans at home in Round 1

March 18th 7pm
I was about to complain..
Thinking it was 8pm
What a s**t time…
Must be Melbourne time.. even though.. still s**t for us Victorians

B8FACE74-7DDF-464D-8FA8-4E73BC3D14A0.jpeg

MATT ROWELL (GOLD COAST)

Gold Coast’s salary dump only works if the players they want to re-sign are on board with locking themselves in on long-term deals.

Which is why the strong recent progress on Matt Rowell’s contract talks will be music to the ears of Gold Coast fans.

The expectation is that deal will be done “sooner rather than later”, with a resolution on a newly minted deal close.
NOAH ANDERSON (GOLD COAST)

Talks have not yet started with Gold Coast and Anderson, but are expected to ramp up in coming months for a player who has gone past his best mate Rowell.

Anderson finished second behind Touk Miller in the club’s best-and-fairest in a breakout year when he averaged 26 possessions and 5.6 clearances and kicked a career-high 11 goals.

The expectation is that Anderson will commit over summer to a deal that should reward him with over $800,000 a season given the expected rise in the CBA.

I guess I would take that as ‘talks have beun’ then.

Probably just my silly interpretation but I hear ‘talks haven’t begun’ and I think there has been no discussion at all.
On day 1 of pre-season Noah said that until now he did not think about a new contract, but he will in next couple of weeks :). Whatever it means.

I guess I would take that as ‘talks have beun’ then.

Probably just my silly interpretation but I hear ‘talks haven’t begun’ and I think there has been no discussion at all.
I meant the journalist writing the article would have spoken to his agent. That's my guess anyway. And that suggests he wants to sign.

I meant the journalist writing the article would have spoken to his agent. That's my guess anyway. And that suggests he wants to sign.
Yeah the media can call the manager and ask players intentions. Even if talks between club and manager havent began yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back