Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think long has shown he’s not a great forward half player.

I don’t think he’s had a big enough run in defence to know.

So it’s interesting we have him 3-4 years?

I wonder if Longy eventually finds his way into our forward line. We're obviously going to have an excess of small/medium defenders once all these guys come back and I would assume Long would be selected ahead of small forward candidates like Ace or Berry if push came to shove.
Never say never but both Dew and King yesterday said, it's HB for Long. King liked his rebounding skills from defence.

I wonder if Longy eventually finds his way into our forward line. We're obviously going to have an excess of small/medium defenders once all these guys come back and I would assume Long would be selected ahead of small forward candidates like Ace or Berry if push came to shove.
Hopefully he finds his way to the VFL team.

We knew this on draft night, what Melbourne's intent was.

Poor kid really seems to be struggling a bit off field with the loneliness. Second time I’ve heard him bring it up in interviews.

Unusual for a new recruit to admit as much so early on. Normally they’re so exhausted from the increased loads that it’s just train, eat, sleep rinse/repeat - they don’t have much time for other activities.
Hope the club and other boys get around him and he can make some friends. Seems like a great kid.

It’s an interesting position for Bailey as he and Johnstone were the only two kids brought in, whereas we have always had 4+ draftees coming in and going through the process together, bonding from day 1 and living together. And at least Johnstone has Harbs and the other indigenous boys who are all quite close with each other. Even last year we only brought in Mac, Sandy Brock and Bodhi so there just aren’t that many 1-2 year players for him to get in amongst like we’ve seen with the 2017/18/19 group.

It just might take him a bit longer to come out of his shell but once’s he in the team, on the road with the boys week in week out he’ll get much more comfortable.

We knew this on draft night, what Melbourne's intent was.

Jeez he sounds pretty miserable. Never seen one of our draftees sound like this ever. Hopefully it's just how he talks but I hope he's bringing a more positive demeanour round the club. I get the mental health stuff of course but yeah.

Jeez he sounds pretty miserable. Never seen one of our draftees sound like this ever. Hopefully it's just how he talks but I hope he's bringing a more positive demeanour round the club. I get the mental health stuff of course but yeah.
First year is tough for most players drafted interstate. They just don't talk about it. In retrospect, a lot of Suns players mentioned it - Luko, Flanders, Powell (his family even moved to GC to assist), Ainsworth, as far I can remember.

But yeah, I am a bit worried. Living with Faulkhead and guest family - not sure why he should feel lonely. But it's a big change, new environment. Fingers crossed he adjusts.

Interestingly, he flew to Adelaide on 4 days break.

First year is tough for most players drafted interstate. They just don't talk about it. In retrospect, a lot of Suns players mentioned it - Luko, Flanders, Powell (his family even moved to GC to assist), Ainsworth, as far I can remember.

But yeah, I am a bit worried. Living with Faulkhead and guest family - not sure why he should feel lonely. But it's a big change, new environment. Fingers crossed he adjusts.

Interestingly, he flew to Adelaide on 4 days break.
Might just be a case of coming from a small town where he knew everyone to a city where he doesn’t know many people yet?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might just be a case of coming from a small town where he new everyone to a city where he doesn’t know many people yet?
Yeah, we are just not used to players talking openly about their struggles. Even players long enough in the system struggle mentally like e.g., Powell who talked about it last year. Playing and winning should help :)

Have to agree that he is far more open than most guys his age. If a player was battling early on he would still give the media the usual yeah everything is great. Still won't stop the usual Vic vultures from circling though. If he was so homesick you would think he'd head home on a 4 day break not Adelaide.

Yeah good points guys and I don't want to be putting a target on him for being open. He mentioned how he prepared himself for the move and was spun out by the Melbourne stuff so he wanted to be here. He just needs to find some guys who he really clicks with at the club and he'll find his groove. In general for most people it is a bit of a shock leaving school in to the real world, lots of guys miss that constant time with their mates etc.

Just gotta hope he finds his way here and it doesn't end up seeing him back in Vic in two years. Getting games in a (hopefully) successful team will do absolute wonders.

Sounded like he definitely wanted to be drafted by the suns though which is great for us. Agree that he probably just needs a close mate from the group which maybe he hasn't found yet.

He did say "I am getting there" :p

I can't wait for the first practice game on Feb 23. Hopefully, it's streamed. If not, time to make a trip. Most players should get opportunity.

Was wondering why bailey Humphrey would be spending his weekend off in Adelaide so did some research. Seems that he dates Yasmin duursma, Port power player and sister of Xavier (port) and zane( high draft pick next year). Think it's a no brainer for our women's team to recruit Yasmin this year😁

nooooo GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back