Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a soft spot for the Suns and think their colour scheme is one of the better ones in the AFL.

Not a fan of Cochrane. I really don't like that Cochrane is so against Tasmania when it's in a better football market than Gold Coast. If Gold Coast can't play finals this year with all the help they've had, it's going to be a long road for them. It's the reality.

Warner has points you can't ignore and I do believe. If you read his book, it's pretty easy to understand why he's not a fan of the Suns.
I will tell you who is dodgy. It is Michael Warner. He is a snake.

I have a soft spot for the Suns and think their colour scheme is one of the better ones in the AFL.

Not a fan of Cochrane. I really don't like that Cochrane is so against Tasmania when it's in a better football market than Gold Coast. If Gold Coast can't play finals this year with all the help they've had, it's going to be a long road for them. It's the reality.

Warner has points you can't ignore and I do believe. If you read his book, it's pretty easy to understand why he's not a fan of the Suns.

Trot on flog.

Mate, you need to leave now.
You're entitled to your opinion but you'd be better off voicing it on your board and if you believe anything Warner says, or the entire VIC media for that matter, especially where northern AFL Clubs are concerned, then you have absolutely NO credibility here....

I am shocked to hear that the expansion of the AFL included dodgy backroom deals and mate's lookin after mates and a big old Boys Club.
Shocked!

Every team that has such a history should be banned.
Banned I tell you, banned!

Grow up. Would love to know which teams/sports were put together without dodgy backroom deals and worse.

Not the Olympics, the Comm Games, all the big World Cups, the NRL, all big international cricket events, and the VFL/AFL.

Sniff around any of them, get a big ol' whiff of dodgy.

Pretty good reports that multiple VFL teams from back in the day were 'externally funded' by the biggest criminals in town.
You know, the ones that, allegedly, killed people.

If Dodgy puts you off, strongly suggest you don't watch sports at all. Or politics. You know, the areas where Mick Warner (allegedly) operates.

Last edited:
I hate Warner as much as the next Suns fan, but his issue with us in that book has more to do with the AFLs incompetence in setting the football club up from the get go. He takes a few shots, but that’s about it, no?

I don’t recall Cochrane being mentioned at all? Not listed in the index either? He didn’t even come in as Chairman until 2014, well after the AFLs dealings to get us up here.

Cochrane did come around to Tasmania, once he saw the proposal. He was never against it themselves, but just if it was the right time.
Yeah, he wanted to see finances first. Now he supports it. Personally, I don't believe a new stadium is needed. Upgrade of existing ones in Hobart and Launceston should do, IMO. They will still play games in both cities.

Yeah, he wanted to see finances first. Now he supports it. Personally, I don't believe a new stadium is needed. Upgrade of existing ones in Hobart and Launceston should do, IMO. They will still play games in both cities.
I agree, just upgrade the existing ones. They play games there anyway.

He'll be missed, you either loved or hated him, but he was good for the game. He didn't always say the most popular things or the comfortable ones, he was a point of difference.
I love that he wasn’t a sheep, we see far too many people regurgitate the latest poplar narrative without even thinking whether it’s based in reality. Coch is a critical thinker and his opinions usually are based on facts and common sense, something rare and to be cherished

I find this statement, strange, it sounds like you love Coch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘A better football market’
Guess you and the AFL have different ideas of better.

Whilst there have been bumps in the road, I think we're about to see the benefits of expanding to the Gold Coast about to be realised.
By 2025 we would have had
~12 Gold Coasters, ~6 FNQ players drafted to AFL lists in the previous 10 years.
Southport just made the VFL grand final.

Not to mention the huge swell in women football up here.

Guess Tasmania is 'better' purely from a sentimental perspective.

Cochrane interview on SEN at the bottom of the article.
We’ve got a massive announcement next week on a brand new multi-sponsorship deal with an absolute blue-chip company.
“We’ve reached that critical mass stage where for the last three or four years we’ve had a number of players from other clubs seeking out how could they come to us. You know when you get to that phase you’ve actually turned that corner and you’ve got some real chance to build and grow.

Cochrane interview on SEN at the bottom of the article.

also

“Our membership base keeps growing. We’re now over 20,000-odd members. Again the Melbourne media used to beat the hell out of us over that. As I pointed out to them, quite cheekily on my behalf I might add, it took Collingwood 60 years to get 20,000 members.

“That went down well.”

Another aspect media in Victoria conveniently forget is that QLD basically saved AFL from shutting down the covid season (and Suns Metricon and Cochrane played a substantial role in that), averting 600M black hole.

But times are changing. I got feeling most journos, AFL clubs now accept that Suns are here to stay, and that the investment was worth it and is starting to bring benefits for the whole AFL as a national competition. Personally, I am more concerned about GWS.

I believe that Cochrane mentioned somewhere that when he started there were 30K registered players in QLD and now is 300K. Sounds crazy.

Last edited:

If you want a good explanation on why TC when against the Tasmanian team at the start he explains in this interview from this morning why

The only upgrade Bellerive oval needs is with a bulldozer to flatten it

Another aspect media in Victoria conveniently forget is that QLD basically saved AFL from shutting down the covid season (and Suns Metricon and Cochrane played a substantial role in that), averting 600M black hole.

But times are changing. I got feeling most journos, AFL clubs now accept that Suns are here to stay, and that the investment was worth it and is starting to bring benefits for the whole AFL as a national competition. Personally, I am more concerned about GWS.

I believe that Cochrane mentioned somewhere that when he started there were 30K registered players in QLD and now is 300K. Sounds crazy.
It's just mainly Damien Barrett who hates us now. Cornes here and there just to be controversial but most journos are fine, especially the one's who get inner-circle access.

Alot of nuffie fans tho, repeat the same garbage. "Suns always die out after the bye" Yeah no s**t we had the youngest squad in the AFL for 10 years

It's just mainly Damien Barrett who hates us now. Cornes here and there just to be controversial but most journos are fine, especially the one's who get inner-circle access.

Alot of nuffie fans tho, repeat the same garbage. "Suns always die out after the bye" Yeah no s**t we had the youngest squad in the AFL for 10 years
I'm not sure Barrett hates the Suns, he seems to love Dew.

He just loves an easy story, so whenever the Suns lose he goes back to all the old knocks from 6-7 years ago. He does it with every club, same generic praise/criticism every time.

He does hate Bevo though.

Last edited:
Does anybody have any stats to verify his claim I've heard a few times now, that participation in QLD has gone from 30k to 300k in 10 years? That seems a huge number and the initial 30k seems a bit low, but outstanding development if true. Maybe The_Wookie would know.

Does anybody have any stats to verify his claim I've heard a few times now, that participation in QLD has gone from 30k to 300k in 10 years? That seems a huge number and the initial 30k seems a bit low, but outstanding development if true. Maybe The_Wookie would know.
Posted on Tuesday, 26th February, 2019
The popularity of AFL in Queensland continues to grow with AFL Queensland today announcing 2018 participation grew by 5.2%. Overall all competitions and programs grew to 265,760 participants. Community Club participation continued to show healthy growth, with participation in club footy growing 3.5% to 30,351 participants.

Think it's fair to assume another 35k have joined in the last 4 yrs...

Last edited:
Posted on Tuesday, 26th February, 2019
The popularity of AFL in Queensland continues to grow with AFL Queensland today announcing 2018 participation grew by 5.2%. Overall all competitions and programs grew to 265,760 participants. Community Club participation continued to show healthy growth, with participation in club footy growing 3.5% to 30,351 participants.

Think it's fair to assume another 35k have joined in the last 4 yrs...
It seems a bit hard to piece together.

This graphic gives a good overview of where those numbers come from.

9C114659-FE39-4344-9FC4-0A9C8A8CF5DE.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back