Injury SUNS Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Thought we better get a thread going. Even though our list is fairly healthy, there's a couple injuries popping up.

Nicholls went off injured in the 2nds supposedly. Ah Chee is a couple weeks away still. Lemmens hurt his hand the other week after returning from injury. Wright still a couple weeks off too.

Hanley returned from his dislocated shoulder last night, which he injured a month ago. I'm not sure if he's had any shoulder problems in the past, but i was very surprised to see his name listed on thursday night. Does anyone know if a dislocated shoulder is usually that quick in terms of timeframes? I know some require reconstruction which is usually a full year, but if it's not a bad dislocation they can be back fairly soon.

I remember tadhg kennelly dislocated his shoulder seemingly every 12 minutes of game time so he obviously had had so many over the years his recovery was very quick. I would have thought if it was Hanley's first shoulder injury a bit more precaution should have been shown. We've had a bit of a history of rushing players back from injury only for them to show signs of not being 100% in the games. I'm sure we all remember Gaz returning after his shoulder injury. Every bump he took he rolled over in pain and was clearly not right.

Hanley going off injured last night was for me the most infuriating thing from the game. We have like 4 players on our injury list. I would rather him have come back 3 weeks later and have a bit more strength in his shoulder and give someone else a run rather than have him injure himself like he did last night, cause us to be a player down for half the game and potentially have an even longer stint on the sidelines. Not sure who made the decision that he was right to play but * me dead if that isn't poor player management i don't know what is.

Shoulders are really varied depending on the person involved, but definitely hard to defend him being brought back so early. He may have passed all the testing and strength tests, but surely someone says 'this is still too early'. Then again, I'm not a medico.

I'd say he should be booked in for surgery which means about 12 weeks out? I think? Depending on what needs to be done.

Dew says he passed all the tests. And everything they threw at him. An hanley obviously felt he was good enough. Ill believe it was just bad luck.

Dew says he passed all the tests. And everything they threw at him. An hanley obviously felt he was good enough. Ill believe it was just bad luck.

It's not bad luck - it's the same injury he's coming back from - it's just bad injury management

It's like saying O'Meara's knee injury was bad luck when he had surgery on the same knee in the off season - it has to have been related and been a factor in the injury

'Bad luck' in these situations is just the medical team covering their collective asses

I played my last 100 odd games of senior footy with a recurrently dislocating shoulder
When it first came out f* me it hurt but the club doctor put it in down in the rooms with some valium pethidine a towel and the physio sitting in a chair
LOL I played the last half standing at full forward with one arm
Anyway I was back 4 weeks later and it did used to come out from time to time but it just used to clunk back in- no big deal- but heading towards 50 I cant raise my left arm above my shoulder
The key would have been if the MRI showed major muscle tearing or bleeding
The shoulder's not a ball and socket- it's a shallow joint and the humerus is held in by muscles rather than a deep ball joint so fractures are uncommon.
If it was just a muscle tear then 4 weeks is about right- and they probably thought he'd got lucky and it was a subluxation rather than a true dislocation

I played my last 100 odd games of senior footy with a recurrently dislocating shoulder
When it first came out f* me it hurt but the club doctor put it in down in the rooms with some valium pethidine a towel and the physio sitting in a chair
LOL I played the last half standing at full forward with one arm
Anyway I was back 4 weeks later and it did used to come out from time to time but it just used to clunk back in- no big deal- but heading towards 50 I cant raise my left arm above my shoulder
The key would have been if the MRI showed major muscle tearing or bleeding
The shoulder's not a ball and socket- it's a shallow joint and the humerus is held in by muscles rather than a deep ball joint so fractures are uncommon.
If it was just a muscle tear then 4 weeks is about right- and they probably thought he'd got lucky and it was a subluxation rather than a true dislocation

Subluxation = dislocation one and the same.
Due to the nature of the injury, it is likely that the soft tissue such as the ligaments and capsule surrounding the joint will be torn or stretched, as the head of the humerus pops out of the shallow capsule of the shoulder. Because of this the stability of the joint is compromised and risk of re-dislocation remains high. In sports people, surgical stabilisation is often the treatment of choice but this usually means a 3-4 month recovery.

If the tissue damage is minimal, it is 4-8 weeks to heal and stabilise conservatively. He will spend a lot of time with the physio's, working really hard at strengthening the muscles around the shoulder and likely remained taped to play. This works by supporting the shoulder and limiting movement to the ranges where your shoulder is most unstable and hopefully return successfully to the field in around six weeks!

Subluxation = dislocation one and the same.
Due to the nature of the injury, it is likely that the soft tissue such as the ligaments and capsule surrounding the joint will be torn or stretched, as the head of the humerus pops out of the shallow capsule of the shoulder. Because of this the stability of the joint is compromised and risk of re-dislocation remains high. In sports people, surgical stabilisation is often the treatment of choice but this usually means a 3-4 month recovery.

If the tissue damage is minimal, it is 4-8 weeks to heal and stabilise conservatively. He will spend a lot of time with the physio's, working really hard at strengthening the muscles around the shoulder and likely remained taped to play. This works by supporting the shoulder and limiting movement to the ranges where your shoulder is most unstable and hopefully return successfully to the field in around six weeks!
Well I guess subluxation suggests it pops out but reduces itself spontaneously, whereas a true dislocation requires reduction
I'm not sure whether he needed that?

Well I guess subluxation suggests it pops out but reduces itself spontaneously, whereas a true dislocation requires reduction
I'm not sure whether he needed that?
I'd have thought subluxation would be something that occurred over time, whereas a dislocation is sudden and violent. The former wouldn't require surgery but the latter would. It's like with me and Batman. My Physio says I should spend less time sitting in front of the computer on Bigfooty because it causes my vertebrates to subluxate, whereas Bruce Wayne just visited a quack doctor who ninja punched his dislocated vertebral column and put him on an intense rehab program so he'd be ready to take out Bane in a few months before Gotham City was blown into bits.

It's not bad luck - it's the same injury he's coming back from - it's just bad injury management

It's like saying O'Meara's knee injury was bad luck when he had surgery on the same knee in the off season - it has to have been related and been a factor in the injury

'Bad luck' in these situations is just the medical team covering their collective asses
Ablett was bad injury management. Yes. It didnt help the medical staff with how much power he had to refuse treatments or declare his ability to play and walk straight in to the side.

Omeara has a degenerative knee issue and was always going to require management we knew this before he was drafted and the club sent him to play limited minutes in neafl where he would reguarly have flare ups. Yes the medical team could have done better with the foresight that he had a degenerative knee.

Hanley is a different kettle o fish. A dislocated shoulder is a direct result of his dislocated shoulder from 4 weeks ago but prior to that it wasnt an issue. As dew said it could come out in 10 games or last all season. It was bad luck it happened in half a game of footy. It was always going to come out at some point until surgery was completed.
The medicos and hanley would have tested the strength, durability and flexibility of the shoulder enough to be recommended to the selection committee. And no doubt he would have been tested again prior to game. Now its another story if Hanley kept quiet and assured the medicos he was fine. After all medicos have to trust the player is telling them honestly how painful or weak they feel.

I am an optimist and appreciate others have a negative view on things, but i will continue to believe our club do their due diligence in all aspects of day to day events. Things have changed in the last year that point to the club having things together.

So yes the hanley injury was bad luck. Unless you can prove the club failed in their due diligence to test hanley adequately enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1-2 weeks away from NEAFL and will likely spend 3-4 weeks there, so about 4-6 weeks away from 1s.
When Two-metre Peter comes back, will Sam Day go to defence, like in 2016? I'm a big fan of Wright and thought he should've won the Rising Star in 2016, but is it likely that if Day keeps doing well up forward that Wright might lose his spot in the 22?

When Two-metre Peter comes back, will Sam Day go to defence, like in 2016? I'm a big fan of Wright and thought he should've won the Rising Star in 2016, but is it likely that if Day keeps doing well up forward that Wright might lose his spot in the 22?
Noone really knows mate.
Hard to use history as a guide due to new coach.
If i were the coach i wouldn't be playing both, but i'm not the coach.

Last edited:
Feel sorry for Tommy. Started to look good before his pcl and no can't seem to get a decent run.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
For me Tommy was best on the ground until he got injured. It looked like he was putting it together. Crossley better be ready if Witts gets injured or it's Day/Wright in the ruck. Wright again 1-2 weeks. From small nick it's been 6 weeks already, had to have setback.

Definitely light on if Witts goes down. Don't want Day to have to do too much ruckwork with that hip.
I'm not too concerned with taking time with Wright, don't need to rush him back and have another Hanley.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

For me Tommy was best on the ground until he got injured. It looked like he was putting it together. Crossley better be ready if Witts gets injured or it's Day/Wright in the ruck. Wright again 1-2 weeks. From small nick it's been 6 weeks already, had to have setback.
I'm not sure how well our club updates those lists to be honest. May have just left it at 1-2 weeks and got lazy.

Then again he's a big guy and calves can be problematic. Good to get it wright. Ho ho.

I doubt it. Dew has been big on Day staying in one position and that's as a forward. When 2MP is right to go I think we'll try playing all three forward.

I think it's over played the amount Day played down back it wasn't that much it was more as a spare man. Forward is definitely his main role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back