Injury SUNS Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not knowledgeable at all as I never did a shoulder personally or have serious Human Movement/PE/Medical training but I’ve been around AFL/NRL teams all my life as a player or coach so I think it could be an Ablett disaster requiring a reconstruction which is my initial fear and I still lean that way because of the lump and the way he hit the ground BUT given it went straight back in and he felt pretty good and he’s only 19 you could argue it just needs strapping up every week for the rest of the season and just fix it post season with a minor clean and he plays next week.
Call me Splinters
It was a clear dislocation. It did not go straight in. They had to put it in in the room. Every dislocation causes damage. You don't risk developing chronic issues with his shoulder. No chance he plays this year. Most probably surgery. Just personal opinion.

I’m not knowledgeable at all as I never did a shoulder personally or have serious Human Movement/PE/Medical training but I’ve been around AFL/NRL teams all my life as a player or coach so I think it could be an Ablett disaster requiring a reconstruction which is my initial fear and I still lean that way because of the lump and the way he hit the ground BUT given it went straight back in and he felt pretty good and he’s only 19 you could argue it just needs strapping up every week for the rest of the season and just fix it post season with a minor clean and he plays next week.
Call me Splinters
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Johnathan Thurston do that for years? He had shoulder issues/injuries but I think he strapped it up in some kind of stablising way that allowed him to continue playing at a high level. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do with Rowell but it's potentially an option.

Anyone really knowledgeable on shoulder injuries and can outlay a few of the most likely scenarios/prognosis and time out?

James Brayshaw IQ = 4
Saw someone who clearly knows what they're talking about say this in another thread

"Rowell isn't playing for 6 months minimum mate"

Saw someone who clearly knows what they're talking about say this in another thread

Yep. Keen to hear further estimations from others with knowledge. It won't be less.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

Rowelly must be protected at all costs! Very tough injury on such an exciting young player, I just hope the other Suns can keep it together the whole of footy wants to see GC play finals.

Rowelly must be protected at all costs! Very tough injury on such an exciting young player, I just hope the other Suns can keep it together the whole of footy wants to see GC play finals.
If he plays on, I can already see all teams targeting his shoulder

Look, would we want him back soon? Obviously! However, we need to do what is best for him. We don’t want to make this a long term injury so best to be conservative and make sure he is right when we returns.The reality is that this year isn’t really meant for us to win the flag, we will enter the premiership window over the next few years so want him primed for then!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like we have learned and know nothing more
Yeah. Its not really anything new. I guess we wait for official word

eta:

He doesn't provide a lot. Just that had scans yesterday and they will take some time to get more opinions on the scans and the way forward. They arent making a decision yet.

If there are 'options' then it might not be as bad as first thought, but I still think you would want to be conservative with him.
Options could what type of surgery. E.g., it could be a traditional reconstruction or latarjet if suitable (Ablett had for his second one, Fyfe).

I really wonder if they want to hold him off surgery until our next set of 3-4 games are done. By then we should know if we're actually good enough to get into Finals. If it turns out we win a few in that group, then they might try and get him up. If we lose them all though then they might just put him under the knife since there's nothing to gain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back