Autopsy Suns loss & Vent Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk about a gutless bunch who's arrogance is so far up their arse that they walk out expecting to win and get done by an ordinary side. There is no excuse for this crap. Time for a massive clean out of the duds, starting with the football department.

You're not alone. I'm guessing the review is on in earnest now. Last night makes it hard to mask any problems we have. It might be the catalyst for necessary change, playing, coaching or administrative.

The template to follow is Geelong at the end of 2006. They didn't panic, took their time to identify what needed to be done and considered whether the incumbent coach was the right man for the job

I'm not going to comment on whether Ratten is the right person or not, but given port are the only other team looking for a new coach the decision on your head coach doesn't need to be rushed as I believe you would be looking at a quite different group of candidates should a review conclude to terminate Rattens contract

The template to follow is Geelong at the end of 2006. They didn't panic, took their time to identify what needed to be done and considered whether the incumbent coach was the right man for the job

I'm not going to comment on whether Ratten is the right person or not, but given port are the only other team looking for a new coach the decision on your head coach doesn't need to be rushed as I believe you would be looking at a quite different group of candidates should a review conclude to terminate Rattens contract

There is no doubt we have the raw ingredients for success, and when on, we play one of the most devastating game styles. It's just not coming together consistently. Not sure if we are lacking instinctive players or leadership. Judd was leading for much of the game but it wasn't inspiring others. Perplexing.

There is no doubt we have the raw ingredients for success, and when on, we play one of the most devastating game styles. It's just not coming together consistently. Not sure if we are lacking instinctive players or leadership. Judd was leading for much of the game but it wasn't inspiring others. Perplexing.

You've shown this year that with somewhere close to your best 22 available your best football is as good as anyone's and any assessment of your season has to factor in injuries. The other question that should be asked is do the players get ahead of themselves or get a bit too comfortable after a few good games and their intensity drops off hence the inconsistency you mentioned

What a spin-out.
  • The coach gets publicly cocky and starts talking about resting blokes for the finals (I noticeably cringe at this)
  • Then, once more, the dopey coach opens his mouth with - How dangerous we're gonna' be if (read: when) we make the finals....(again, I cringe)
  • Coach needs to shut-the-F'k-up.
Is this why a lot of carlton supporters appear to dislike him?

As an outsider this is what really ticks me off about him, he can appear so arrogant when he and his side haven't achieved anything of note. Of course this might just be because i despise carlton

Its like North Melbourne always talking themselves up when playing a top 4 side and getting thrashed. They played the pies a couple of weeks ago, said nothing and got over them.

Might just be me, but i like a bit of humility and letting actions do the talking

You've shown this year that with somewhere close to your best 22 available your best football is as good as anyone's and any assessment of your season has to factor in injuries. The other question that should be asked is do the players get ahead of themselves or get a bit too comfortable after a few good games and their intensity drops off hence the inconsistency you mentioned
Our boys love getting ahead of themselves, we still struggle to string three wins in a row without dropping a game to a side well below us on the ladder. (Bulldogs last year, Port and Suns now)

As embarrassing as that loss was last night, I honestly think it was what we needed as a club to get better. The best we could of hoped for was to make the finals and maybe have one good win and then bow out. I understand that finals footy is a boost to the club but I don't see the point when half your backline is injured and your not going to be competitive. Now we can start prepping for a BIG 2013.

As much as I'd love for Mick Malthouse to be coaching us, I'd be happy with Ratts continuining on as I think it's important to keep this group together. They will be burning to make amends for this season. I know it's a running joke around here but imagine a FULL season with Waite and Jamison.

Drove up from Byron for the game. Was a complete disaster obviously. Presumably the players carried the same mentality into the game as I and, i would assume, most supporters. I was expecting a win until the last few mins and pre-game it was a matter of percentage. Shows just how devastating it can be to not be switched on. Was so ridiculous I almost questioned whether I was dreaming. I feel for Ratts - think the expectations of the current 22 were too high after gutsy wins against tigers, dogs and bombers. Still a very young 22 that we fielded.

There are positives:

- yes casboult kicked 0.5 or whatever it was, but hey, that's 5 shots on goal from a KPF in his 6th or 7th game. Is taking great marks and though I doubt he'll ever be a great kick, I would expect enough improvement that he'll nail more than he misses. Best mark in the side already.

- Bell made some shocking decisions but a few of those were not his fault. Was a lack of options for him to go to. The only one that was a real howler was his indecision and consequent tackle and free kick against in defensive 50. But boy, the kid is a gun at the clearances and will be invaluable as he gains more experience.

It was one of those days where nothing went right. This might sound 'out there' but our intensity was WAY off and I reckon every one of us that expected an easy win and were thinking about percentage can take some of the blame. That energy spreads throughout society, the media and obviously the club.

It's a loss that I believe will hold us in good stead. A lesson that we'll never forget.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I don't write much here but it seems everyone is getting their two cents worth in, so I might as well too!
Missus and I drove for 3 hours, 2 trains and 2 buses to watch the boys last night. Great, fantastic venue. A real Carnival atmosphere, great food and again, great venue for watching the game. There were Blues supporters EVERYWHERE to the point it might as well have been a Carlton home game! So we were feeling pretty good. Then the game started....
Honestly, the "skills" were deplorable. Any AFL Club would have been embarrased by the fumbling marks, kicking to 2-on-ones, entry into the forward line etc. and lack of intensity. Yes, we had a good amount into the forward 50, but the way it was delivered and the angles used was never giving the boys up front half a chance.
Ellard copped a hard knock in front of us and really, all of us were suprised he kept going...at least he showed some guts there. The rest, well, most were again, deplorable. I hate, read, HATE bagging the boys, that's what opposition supporters are around for, but they were really that bad. The bus etc on the way home was a very very sombre ride! The missus and I hardly spoke on the drive home and I had to get up 4 hours later to come to work, so there was definately no bedroom action. I was hoping for some as I knew I couldn't do worse than the performance we had paid and travelled to view last night.
Finally...Ratts. Missus and I were both talking on Thursday night about how there was still the rumouring of him going at seasons end and the MM replacement talk. As I said then, which of course was before last nights debacle, I believe Ratts was handed an absolute rabble (we were both at the Gabba when the Blues went down by 20 goals and kicked out Pagan as well!) and has done well up until mid-season. Even after then there has been the well documented injuries etc. However, whilst I love how he bleeds Blue etc., I have never believed in him to be the Coach to take us to the "next level", being at least contending for a Granny spot. He has done well getting half the job done but I don't think he is the man to complete the job.
Do I think MM or Roos are a shoe in? Dunno..none of us do. I think Brett needs to step down at seasons end.
He isn't to blame for last night's performance. The players fluffed the marks, made poor decisions and didn't do the hard yards. But Ratts...it's time to go...but I thank you for what you have done with the Club, and if we do hold a Cup up in the next couple of years, you should be proud that you had a lot to do with it.

Is this why a lot of carlton supporters appear to dislike him?

As an outsider this is what really ticks me off about him, he can appear so arrogant when he and his side haven't achieved anything of note. Of course this might just be because i despise carlton

Its like North Melbourne always talking themselves up when playing a top 4 side and getting thrashed. They played the pies a couple of weeks ago, said nothing and got over them.

Might just be me, but i like a bit of humility and letting actions do the talking

Like your humility in coming over to this forum to gloat?
West Coast and Hawks supporters, probably the worst gloaters in the AFL. Bombers would be, but they're just too far down right now.;)

In fact, rather than pot Ratten, I'm going to say ... Brett mate, you're a top bloke, you give your all, but you have a new life with a new baby and you are not getting back what you put in. This team does not deserve you. If you are going to go out, go out by telling them where to go, not the other way around.
ODN... You have no idea how sorry I am that you had to sit through that.

Gibbs is a soft, weak seagull. For the entire second half he was running around without an opponent and still couldn't get near it. Trade while he has currency.

Judd needs to hand the captaincy over to Murphy.
:thumbsdown:

Why does Gibbs cop the wrath and the soft call after he played hard footy in the middle last week?

Look at the missed tackles by Duigan and Garlett on Lynch and May that didn't stop them getting it forward for a goal. Or Murphy's missed tackle on Ablett...

Bashing Gibbs is almost as bad as blaming Judd whilst pumping up Murphy for leadership. It was Judd who stepped up again and hit the scoreboard when we needed a boost. Marc shouldn't have been in the best players. I guess the writers just look at Murphy's possessions count and his name before giving their best players.

Looking forward to Gieschen's explanations of these umpiring decisions...

http://www.smartreplay.afl.com.au/?...06&eventType=Goal&seek=5338&videoQuality=high

http://www.smartreplay.afl.com.au/?...06&eventType=Goal&seek=2673&videoQuality=high

Side note, first time I've noticed Ratts give Gibbs a bake for his weak effort against Ablett in the back pocket that lead to Caddy's(?) goal. Terrible play.
Worst part about that discussion was Gibbs wanting to have the last word. Not much respect and not a good look

Remove this Banner Ad

Back