Suns Priority Pick (with poll)

What priority pick will the Gold Coast Suns receive?

• Pick 1

Votes: 151 44.0%
  • Pick 11 (Mid first round)

Votes: 47 13.7%
  • Pick 18 (End of first round)

Votes: 68 19.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • None

Votes: 67 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You have a very good point.

If 1st round picks were the be all and end all from 2007-2016, Freo would be as dead as Robert Mugabe or Saddam Hussein or Ross Lyons coaching career.

If you look at freos players drafted in the 1st round from that 2007-16 period: Rhys Palmer (2007), Anthony Morabito (2009), Jayden Pitt (2010), Tom Sheridan (2011) Josh Simpson (2012), Michael Apeness (2013).

They were either duds, average players, injury prone players or players with off field or attitude problems or players who didnt have the right mind set to play AFL. Yet Freo have gotten decent players outside the 1st round and rookie picks. Its sometimes either down to luck or research (or lack of research)

I will respect North, they refuse to give up and refuse to tank. The last wooden spoon they got was in 1972. North would rather finish 15th and use pick 4 to get Dustin Martin than finish bottom and get pick 1 to get luke Hodge.

I have enjoyed freos rebuild in the last 4 years.

Freo never got a priority pick or a 2nd rounder from the AFL for being garbage. Freo would rather get another 2nd rounder by finishing 14th and trade their pick 5 and 41 or next years 3rd rounder for a teams mid 1st, 2nd or 3rd such as picks 10, 28 and 46 or 12, 30 and 48.

Bullshit, Freo got a PP in Paul Hasleby at the end of 1999.

Freo got plenty of early picks and draft concessions over the years, it's just many times you traded them away unwisely or used them on spuds. The Dockers are not a model blueprint on how to build a club at all.

What I don't get is why the AFL aren't forcing them to spend the pick in a trade for a good experienced player. They have a shitload of talent but they desperately need someone to go up there like Hodge did with the lions. Surely several clubs would love to get Anderson/Rowell so a trade should be simple enough. Get a decent leader up there. In fact I'd give them a couple of high picks and make them trade both to whomever they want. The generational talent that they already have are more likely to stay if they're playing with blokes who they've grown up watching.

What I don't get is why the AFL aren't forcing them to spend the pick in a trade for a good experienced player. They have a s**tload of talent but they desperately need someone to go up there like Hodge did with the lions. Surely several clubs would love to get Anderson/Rowell so a trade should be simple enough. Get a decent leader up there. In fact I'd give them a couple of high picks and make them trade both to whomever they want. The generational talent that they already have are more likely to stay if they're playing with blokes who they've grown up watching.

Because players worth pick #1 won't go to the Suns so they would be stuck getting a average player for a premium price.......

Bulls**t, Freo got a PP in Paul Hasleby at the end of 1999.

Freo got plenty of early picks and draft concessions over the years, it's just many times you traded them away unwisely or used them on spuds. The Dockers are not a model blueprint on how to build a club at all.
Ok 1st off that was 1999.

Freo spent 3 years out of finals from 2007-2009. We didnt get a priority pick. You guys got Priority picks in 2005-7 due to tanking. you guys were recovering from that drop in 2002.

Comparing Carltons 2002 side and Crows 2012 side was night and day. Crows lost 1 st and 2nd in both the 2012 and 2013 seasons. Yet it didnt hurt as badly as they recruited and traded well from 2007-2011 getting solid players in Dangerfield, Sloane, Walker, Davis, talia, Otten, Laird etc.

Freo didnt get a priority pick in 2016 for getting 4 wins, not that I wanted it at the time.

Freo got plenty of Early picks? I doubt it. Sure they got some concessions but NO WAY near as much as GWS or even the suns. At the time Gerard Neesham wanted to get as many Claremont players from other AFL clubs. sounds fair, He wanted to be familiar with his players that guided claremont to flags in 1987, 1989, 1991 and 1993. No different with Graham cornes at the crows recruiting a few Glenelg premiership players from that 1985-6 period.. If Freo had the same board and people we have now back in 1995, We wouldn't of won the flag but I assured you, freo would of made finals in more than 3 years (2003, 2006 and 2010), between that 1995-2011 period.

Again, freo didnt get or needed 10,000 1st round picks when they started.

I agree, we did stupidly traded out our 1st rounders from 1994-2006.

Because players worth pick #1 won't go to the Suns so they would be stuck getting a average player for a premium price.......
I don't agree with them getting #1 in this scenario, though I know that's what's happening. Should be end of the first, probably 2 there imo (19 and 20 before academy picks are taken). They have to trade both for an established player or two (can combine them in a deal to get higher quality for example), or combine them with some of their other picks. Some decent players might be attracted up there in the right circumstances.

None, the draft system has been a joke for years because of the expansion sides. They can't keep being given free hits until they get it right, no other team has received anything anywhere near the embarassment of riches the Gold Coast has, if something isn't working you don't keep doing it over and over again, it's farcical at this point.

None, the draft system has been a joke for years because of the expansion sides. They can't keep being given free hits until they get it right, no other team has received anything anywhere near the embarassment of riches the Gold Coast has, if something isn't working you don't keep doing it over and over again, it's farcical at this point.
It didnt help that some of the suns 1st rounders in the 2010 draft were either injury prone or duds or both

It didnt help that some of the suns 1st rounders in the 2010 draft were either injury prone or duds or both

True but I think that is also very kind to the systems in place up there, even the talent they have managed to cultivate and hang onto hasn't come on like they probably should.

Their drafting has been good the past 3 or 4 years actually, it's the player development and especially retention up there which is the problem.

But Brisbane had the same problem 5 years ago and managed to turn it around, don't see why the Suns can't do the same, provided they get the right people in charge from adminstration downwards.

Their drafting has been good the past 3 or 4 years actually, it's the player development and especially retention up there which is the problem.

But Brisbane had the same problem 5 years ago and managed to turn it around, don't see why the Suns can't do the same, provided they get the right people in charge from adminstration downwards.
Of course the Suns can turn it around with the right footy structures in place, but as you said GC may be open to trading Lukosius, have they still got problems with retaining their young players?

This is a very outlandish theory, but simply by looking at the numbers this morning, I feel is something that should be considered at least in part. In 8 drafts Gold Coast have had 24 first round draft picks, with a retention rate of 50%, and an AFL rate of 71%. GWS have had 33 picks in 7 drafts, with a retention rate of 55%, but an AFL rate of 85%. Now, I know this comes down to multiple factors such as poor recruiting and poor culture, in which they only have themselves to blame, I have come to a belief that Gold Coast should be awarded an unprecedented 10 priority picks over 3 years. The picks would be unable to be traded, and they would also be locked from trading any other first round picks they obtain for these three years. I'd give the picks out with 1,2 mid first and end of first this year, and then 1, mid and end for both 2020, and 2021. This would put them back on a level playing field, and with better retention strategies, they can become the level GWS have so quickly become. However, after this, I'd be saying no more assistance from the AFL for any club, with no priority or compensation picks to ever compromise another draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Receiving pick 2 and 20 this year, 11 next year and 19 in 2021.

Interesting.

You missed the ability to sign any decent underage footballer in approximately 80% of QLD and all of Darwin for the same cost of an Irish recruit, outside of the draft process.

In terms of the pick package it's a good thing but I didn't expect it to have the future element of 2020 & 21 with it.

It's a substantial deal when you think they basically get the rights to Darwin based draftees for free, plus an extended rookie list without the need for salary concessions.

Picks will be great and helpful but it's the tip of the iceberg to the problems their. I really hope the AFL posed hard questions to them about things like de-listing Barlow and Lyons in 2018, using a top 5 pick on Lachie Weller etc. to make sure that doesn't happen anymore.

They need some more wise heads in the footy department like a David Noble has done at Brisbane and stop leaches like Tony Cochrane from commenting about football department related issues like list management and draft concessions.

Positive ground in the player retention space has been made in 2018 in particular locking away Will Brodie who i really rate as a player and leader but that still requires attention.

Start the 2019 draft with Rowell, Anderson and Bianco and build from that.

Back