2nds Suns Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Suns Reserves Coup

I find this strange, do the Suns have an AFL quality list or not. If they do then they should be under the same rules as Brisbane, if not then thats their problem and why not?

I actually think their list is suspect as the AFL does and they will struggle.

and by the way it's the NEAFL not the QAFL.

FIXTURE

Rd.1 - Sat Apr 2 2pm - Mt.Gravatt - TBA
Rd.2 - Sat Apr 9 7pm - NT Thunder - TIO Stadium
Rd.3 - Sat Apr 16 11.15am - Aspley - H&A Oval
Rd.4 - Sat Apr 23 2pm - Labrador - Cooke Murphy
Rd.5 - Sat Apr 30 2pm - Mt.Gravatt - Dittmar Park
Rd.6 - Sat May 7 11am - Brisbane Reserves - Fankhauser Reserve
Rd.7 - Sat May 14 1pm - Sydney Reserves - TBA
Rd.8 - Bye
Rd.9 - Sat May 28 3.20pm - Southport - GC Stadium
Rd.10 - Sat June 4 1pm - GWS Giants - Blacktown
Rd.11 - Sat June 11 3.20pm - Morningside - GC Stadium
Rd.12 - Bye
Rd.13 - Sun June 26 2pm - Redlands - Victoria Point
Rd.14 - Sat July 2 2pm - Southport - Fankhauser Reserve
Rd.15 - Sat July 9 3.20pm - Sydney Reserves - GC Stadium
Rd.16 - Sat July 16 10.30am - NT Thunder - Cazalys Stadium
Rd.17 - Sat July 23 3.20pm - Brisbane Reserves - GC Stadium
Rd.18 - Bye
Rd.19 - Sat Aug 6 2pm - Broadbeach - H&A Oval
Rd.20 - Sat Aug 13 2pm - Brisbane Reserves - Coorparoo
Rd.21 - Sat Aug 20 10.30am - GWS Giants - GC Stadium

With a list of 52 we could field a entire 2nd side with no top ups , does anyone know the ruling in the QAFL with AFL listed players , do we have a limit.?

With a list of 52 we could field a entire 2nd side with no top ups , does anyone know the ruling in the QAFL with AFL listed players , do we have a limit.?

I read this somewhere the other day - For the first few years Gold Coast don't have a limit in the NEAFL.

This is pretty much why I think it should be a good year for us with many of our kid's taking a backwards step from the VFL last year

I thought that as well , but Brissys Reserves dont dominate , might be and hopefully tougher than we think.

Lions reserves towards the bottom last year and the other QAFL clubs have recruited hard for the NEAFL for 2011 and therefore the comp is likely to be very tough. Should not be forgotten that the NEAFL is full of 22-25 year old blokes many of whom have fallen off AFL lists or have played in other good competitions. Too strong for 18 year olds- some of whom will not play much AFL footy.

Unlikely that either Suns or Lions ressies play finals this year however given Suns can play a full list with no top ups will finish higher and may sneak in.

My best guess is that the NEAFL would have different rules.

Suns can play with no restrictions. Lions can have 19 listed players (out of 23) with a max 14 on the field in the first half and 15 in the second half against NEAFL clubs.

The GWS are restriction free and the Swans with 13 listed on the field at once against NEAFL clubs.

All AFL ressies can play with no restrictions when they play each other.

Suns can play with no restrictions. Lions can have 19 listed players (out of 23) with a max 14 on the field in the first half and 15 in the second half against NEAFL clubs.

The GWS are restriction free and the Swans with 13 listed on the field at once against NEAFL clubs.

All AFL ressies can play with no restrictions when they play each other.
Why the different rules?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why the different rules?

The Suns were concerned that with their young list that they would not be competitive with restrictions.

Also, with a list of 52, there could have been the absurd situation where surplus players would be fed back to Broadbeach, Southport, Labrador like last year and then the Suns would play that team, meaning Suns players could play against Suns players.

The ressies are playing against Mt Gravatt this Saturday at 12.30 pm at Merrimac Oval Broadbeach. Plenty of time to catch this before heading up to the Gabba.

Guaranteed that many players will be used in the AFL this year so I would suggest that many blokes playing this Sat in the 2's will play senior footy at some stage this year. Worth a look.

By the way the suns reserves are currently the favourite for the NEAFL competition. Will be good early in the season but injuries/player management might take its toll.

Mt Gravatt 3 1 7 3 12 6 15 9 99
Gold Coast Suns 3 4 5 8 7 10 10 11 71

Gold Coast Suns
Goal Kickers: S. May 2, M. Shaw 2, R. AhChee , T. Hine , J. Crawford , S. Iles , L. Patrick , R. Thompson
Best Players: S. May, J. Tippett, M. Shaw, J. Crawford, S. Iles, M. Weller Mt Gravatt
Goal Kickers: C. Smith 3, N. Gilliland 3, L. Scott 2, J. Furfaro , A. Proud , M. Pennington , D. Steven , G. Grose , J. Vearing , J. James
Best Players: C. Smith, J. James, A. Pirika, N. Gilliland, J. Vearing, A. Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back