News Suns to ask for Pick 1 as a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

How is trading pick 1 going to help the Suns?

Pick should be getting you one of the best best 3 players from an oppositions list, who is in that 24 to26 age bracket. I don't see clubs lining up to hand over such players to the Suns.

Who is Adelaides best player in that age bracket? Matt Crouch maybe. And he's not worth pick 1 by himself. Maybe both Crouch brothers together are worth pick 1. Gives you pick 1 and 2 in the draft to start your rebuild proper.

Rory Sloane would be a good get for the Suns. He's still got a few years left in him, and is that gun experienced player. He's probably worth that other first round pick the Suns currently have, pick 16, with some change going back the Suns way as well.
Look at it this way - how has not trading pick 1 gone for the Suns in the last 5 years? They get a stack of very good young kids, some leave, some don't, but they aren't making progress on field. Why is that? It could be coaching and development. I'd suggest they need to develop their players more both on and off field. Off field, they should target Tate Kaesler who was a star at Adelaide and is now at Carlton. He has fast-racked later / rookie picks like Charlie Cameron, Matt Crouch, M McGovern, Rory Laird into established afl players.

If you trade pick 1 and can get a Dangerfield, Sloane and Treloar (for example) then you will be much better. Have you seen the impact having experienced players has on development - Cross, Vince, Lewis at Melbourne, Hodge at Brisbane, etc

Pick 1 always looks like the golden bullet (especially if you are a crows fan who hasn't had anything inside the top 5 EVER), but it's never as good as it seems. I'm not going to go into the history, it's there to see. None of the best few players in the comp were pick 1:
J Kelly, Dangerfield, Martin, Franklin, Cripps, Pendles, JDG, Fyfe, Selwood, Sloane, Rance, Gawn, Grundy, Cameron, Mitchell, Cunnington, R Gray, JPK, Parker, Reiwoldt, J-Gov

Hodge and Whitfield stand out as as pick 1, but the gap between 1 and 10 is never as much as it seems

Yep, also with other clubs knowing that the Suns would have to trade pick 1 they would screw them over. Lachie Weller version 2.

We'll take pick 1 off the Suns hands for Ryan Bastinac, Tom Cutler and Ben Keays.:D
You're right if there was only 1 other club who wanted it.

A few players they could look to target that would not only help them on field but would drive the group and wouldn’t just go up there to top up their bank accounts.
David Myers ( meant to be a really good club person/ leader and his time is up at essendon), Liam shiels, Michael hibberd, Jack newnes, Mitch Duncan, Jamie Macmillan
Add Hugh Greenwood, Sam Jacobs and Pat Ryder to the list.

Maybe the AFL takes pick 1 off them and hands back 15, 16 and 18 (about the same points) so they can trade them for some of the likes above who aren't worth pick 1 alone. Then they get better players than a Murdoch type. Geelong do Duncan for 15 I'd think

Look at it this way - how has not trading pick 1 gone for the Suns in the last 5 years? They get a stack of very good young kids, some leave, some don't, but they aren't making progress on field. Why is that? It could be coaching and development. I'd suggest they need to develop their players more both on and off field. Off field, they should target Tate Kaesler who was a star at Adelaide and is now at Carlton. He has fast-racked later / rookie picks like Charlie Cameron, Matt Crouch, M McGovern, Rory Laird into established afl players.

If you trade pick 1 and can get a Dangerfield, Sloane and Treloar (for example) then you will be much better. Have you seen the impact having experienced players has on development - Cross, Vince, Lewis at Melbourne, Hodge at Brisbane, etc

Pick 1 always looks like the golden bullet (especially if you are a crows fan who hasn't had anything inside the top 5 EVER), but it's never as good as it seems. I'm not going to go into the history, it's there to see. None of the best few players in the comp were pick 1:
J Kelly, Dangerfield, Martin, Franklin, Cripps, Pendles, JDG, Fyfe, Selwood, Sloane, Rance, Gawn, Grundy, Cameron, Mitchell, Cunnington, R Gray, JPK, Parker, Reiwoldt, J-Gov

Hodge and Whitfield stand out as as pick 1, but the gap between 1 and 10 is never as much as it seems
The point is, no player worth pick 1 is going to move to Gold Coast.

Cal Twomey was on the GC fan podcast yesterday, and said exactly the same.

There’s a couple of good articles published this week why GC have failed up until this point.

Largely they weren’t set up to succeed.

They were operating out of shipping containers until after the Comm Games finished last year, and have only had the right people in place for 18 months.

Also doesn’t help losing their best players every year.

If GC could manage to keep all their players for a sustained period, they should be alright in 5 years time.

Leadership qualities are not limited to picks 1 and 2. This draft they could trade down pick 1 and end up with Robertson and Gould who will give them great leadership as well as quality.

Drafting for leadership is a decision you can make at any stage of the draft, and I agree it should be a focus for them, but the higher the pick the more likely it is a club prefers to select based on football talent.

While there are great options elsewhere, taking best friends Rowell and Anderson together helps with player retention. It seems to have worked well last year with Rankine committing when people were expecting him to flee.

Add Hugh Greenwood, Sam Jacobs and Pat Ryder to the list.

Maybe the AFL takes pick 1 off them and hands back 15, 16 and 18 (about the same points) so they can trade them for some of the likes above who aren't worth pick 1 alone. Then they get better players than a Murdoch type. Geelong do Duncan for 15 I'd think

How about they keep pick 1. And the AFL hand them pick 11 to do as they wish.

Taking picks off GC and making them trade for players other clubs are willing to let go, mostly benefits the other clubs.

GC still need the top end kids for these mature players to mentor, otherwise what’s the point? GC just bottoms out again in 5 years time because the mature players have retired and there weren’t any quality draftees coming through to take over.

Everyone keeps mentioning Hodge at Brisbane, and conveniently forget we’ve drafted 6 first round kids in the last 3 years, and 15 kids over all in the last 3 drafts.

Everyone keeps mentioning Hodge at Brisbane, and conveniently forget we’ve drafted 6 first round kids in the last 3 years, and 15 kids over all in the last 3 drafts.

No it was all Hodge, certainly not that you’ve added Witherden, Lyons, McCluggage, McCarthy, Berry, Neale, Cameron, plus Andrews and Hipwood coming of age all in the last few years.

Last edited:

Taking picks off GC and making them trade for players other clubs are willing to let go, mostly benefits the other clubs.

GC still need the top end kids for these mature players to mentor, otherwise what’s the point? GC just bottoms out again in 5 years time because the mature players have retired and there weren’t any quality draftees coming through to take over.

GC had the chance last year to load up on first round picks from the 2 SA clubs and thumbed their nose at it. Imagine if they had take the crows picks 8 & 13 for pick 3 and taken ports 5 & 10 for pick 2 for example. They could have ended up with Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Jones.instead they take a project key position in Lukosius and Rankine who has yet to play a game for them through injury. Those first 4 players all would have had a much bigger impact than what 2 players (one of which has been injured all year) would have. Their decision making has not been great and in my opinion that is one example where they could have spread the level of talent through their team rather than just pick high

The point is, no player worth pick 1 is going to move to Gold Coast.

Cal Twomey was on the GC fan podcast yesterday, and said exactly the same.

There’s a couple of good articles published this week why GC have failed up until this point.

Largely they weren’t set up to succeed.

They were operating out of shipping containers until after the Comm Games finished last year, and have only had the right people in place for 18 months.

Also doesn’t help losing their best players every year.

If GC could manage to keep all their players for a sustained period, they should be alright in 5 years time.
Gary Ablett suggests differently.

It needs to be combined with extra cap space, $2 or $3m for the next 5 years

There's enough kids coming through!

Off field, they should target Tate Kaesler who was a star at Adelaide and is now at Carlton. He has fast-racked later / rookie picks like Charlie Cameron, Matt Crouch, M McGovern, Rory Laird into established afl players.
This Tate Kaesler?

GC had the chance last year to load up on first round picks from the 2 SA clubs and thumbed their nose at it. Imagine if they had take the crows picks 8 & 13 for pick 3 and taken ports 5 & 10 for pick 2 for example. They could have ended up with Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Jones.instead they take a project key position in Lukosius and Rankine who has yet to play a game for them through injury. Those first 4 players all would have had a much bigger impact than what 2 players (one of which has been injured all year) would have. Their decision making has not been great and in my opinion that is one example where they could have spread the level of talent through their team rather than just pick high
A list rebuild isn’t done in one draft.

David Noble at Brisbane said the Lions always planned on going hard at 3 drafts to stock up on elite kids before looking more at free agency.

Gold Coast obviously prioritised KPP’s last draft, knowing there were few in this years draft. And this year they’ll go for mids.

Everyone knows GC needs mature talent to help the kids, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of being able to draft their future.

As for the proposed trades you mentioned above. The two kids the Adelaide teams were trading for are the two kids GC drafted. Why give up on elite talent.

It’s not GC’s fault the Rankine has been out injured, and you can’t point to that as a reason why GC should have made the trade.

Everyone knows KPP’s take longer to impact. And the influence of elite KPP’s can be far greater than that of mids, who can be found in every draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A list rebuild isn’t done in one draft.

David Noble at Brisbane said the Lions always planned on going hard at 3 drafts to stock up on elite kids before looking more at free agency.

Gold Coast obviously prioritised KPP’s last draft, knowing there were few in this years draft. And this year they’ll go for mids.

Everyone knows GC needs mature talent to help the kids, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of being able to draft their future.

As for the proposed trades you mentioned above. The two kids the Adelaide teams were trading for are the two kids GC drafted. Why give up on elite talent.

It’s not GC’s fault the Rankine has been out injured, and you can’t point to that as a reason why GC should have made the trade.

Everyone knows KPP’s take longer to impact. And the influence of elite KPP’s can be far greater than that of mids, who can be found in every draft.
The whole world knew after the players they lost last year that they needed volume of talent and fast. The pick trades trades I mentioned made perfect sense to a team that was shallow on high end (1st round) talent. What an opportunity to turn 2 picks into 4 or 5 1st rounders in a so called super draft and they passed it up?? Are you saying that Rozee, Butters, Duursma and Jones (or read Clark from Geelong or Hately at GWS etc) are not fantastic talents?..isn't it better to have taken 4 very good prospects rather than 2 very good prospects in their position. Yes no one knew rankine would be injured for virtually the entire season..but that in itself supports my point that by spreading out the top end talent, if a jones or duursma went down with injury, you still have 3 other great young prospects running around with B King and we have all seen just how good Rozee, Butters and Duursma have been at port. Now GC have not had Rankine and have just had Lukosius playing who is doing ok..but he is not the difference between winning and losing the close ones they had earlier this year - whereas Rozee and the others may have been.

As for the impact of key position players taking longer to develop - again the one club that didn't have the luxury of time at the end of last year was Gold Coast. All are bemoaning their performances in the back half of this year. A raw and young Lukosius is not going to stop the rot - maybe in 3 years time but not now when they most need it. You won't change my mind that GC erred and erred badly and this year it is being felt and here we are having GC begging for a priority pick to bring in another 18 year old..nah, wrong approach for mine

Does everyone think one biggest issue with most interstate teams is the players have “too much power” over the clubs. With free agency and players breaking contracts and demanding trades to the club of their choice is completely wrong and this is where the issue lies.

The whole world knew after the players they lost last year that they needed volume of talent and fast. The pick trades trades I mentioned made perfect sense to a team that was shallow on high end (1st round) talent. What an opportunity to turn 2 picks into 4 or 5 1st rounders in a so called super draft and they passed it up?? Are you saying that Rozee, Butters, Duursma and Jones (or read Clark from Geelong or Hately at GWS etc) are not fantastic talents?..isn't it better to have taken 4 very good prospects rather than 2 very good prospects in their position. Yes no one knew rankine would be injured for virtually the entire season..but that in itself supports my point that by spreading out the top end talent, if a jones or duursma went down with injury, you still have 3 other great young prospects running around with B King and we have all seen just how good Rozee, Butters and Duursma have been at port. Now GC have not had Rankine and have just had Lukosius playing who is doing ok..but he is not the difference between winning and losing the close ones they had earlier this year - whereas Rozee and the others may have been.

As for the impact of key position players taking longer to develop - again the one club that didn't have the luxury of time at the end of last year was Gold Coast. All are bemoaning their performances in the back half of this year. A raw and young Lukosius is not going to stop the rot - maybe in 3 years time but not now when they most need it. You won't change my mind that GC erred and erred badly and this year it is being felt and here we are having GC begging for a priority pick to bring in another 18 year old..nah, wrong approach for mine
I doubt that butters, Rozee, clark etc would have made the same impact at gc as they have at their respective clubs. It’s a lot easier to slide into a hf/hb flank when you have a plethora of good players around you, which the Gold Coast don’t. That’s why so many draftees struggle up there scrimshaw springs to mind and looks 3 times the better player once he has fitted into a system surrounded by experienced heads.

The options you mentioned weren’t offered so how is it the Suns fault for not taking something that was never offered?

The options you mentioned weren’t offered so how is it the Suns fault for not taking something that was never offered?

I have no doubt these deals would have been offered. But Gold Coast should have been trying to sell picks 2 and 3, especially after losing Ablett, Lynch and May.

I have no doubt these deals would have been offered. But Gold Coast should have been trying to sell picks 2 and 3, especially after losing Ablett, Lynch and May.
We were open if a great deal came along, none did so we used the picks. This what actually happened. Plenty of media to support it including vision just prior to the draft starting. If you have some evidence of the Suns knocking back the offers mentioned then please post it

I know the crows offered 2 x 1st round picks and port also wanted to trade up and eventually got to pick 5 - both clubs would have shedded 1st rounders to get a pick inside the top 3. GC could have loaded up on 1st round picks last year

I know the crows offered 2 x 1st round picks and port also wanted to trade up and eventually got to pick 5 - both clubs would have shedded 1st rounders to get a pick inside the top 3. GC could have loaded up on 1st round picks last year
Well how I wish you are our list management manager. Could have win a premiership if you start up for GCS instead of Clayton.

Could of not just loaded up on picks could of loaded up on some experience players especially 2,3 and 6 could buy a great foundation, they wouldn’t be asking for handouts thats for sure

Could of not just loaded up on picks could of loaded up on some experience players especially 2,3 and 6 could buy a great foundation, they wouldn’t be asking for handouts thats for sure
absolutely..but they stuck their head in the sand and took 2 kids with picks 2 & 3..and now are running to the AFL to get more 18 year old kids, when they could have made other decisions last year that would have helped them far more this year in many people's eyes

absolutely..but they stuck their head in the sand and took 2 kids with picks 2 & 3..and now are running to the AFL to get more 18 year old kids, when they could have made other decisions last year that would have helped them far more this year in many people's eyes

Especially after just giving up pick 2 for lachie Weller the year before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back