News Suns to ask for Pick 1 as a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting you mention Beau Dowler but not Lance Franklin

Thought I'd balance out the equation.....We could have had Pendlebury but plumped for Ellis, We could have had Ryder but got Dowler....Tigers plumped for Tambling instead of Buddy.....Win some, lose some.

The Suns got two to the state combine plus Budarick in the main one so there’s some talent coming through

Attachments

• C532F397-86BC-40D9-8AB1-5092D9FFCE96.png
    C532F397-86BC-40D9-8AB1-5092D9FFCE96.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 248
Depends if they get a priority pick, which I think they should.

I think it’s too early to suggest they’ve turned the corner until their form indicates this is the case, and they stop leaking star players.

As we have seen multiple times already with contracted Gold Coast players the contracts aren’t worth the paper they’re written on, hence players like Scrimshaw leaving for a pittance. It’s nice they have some security with Rankine, but he’s only been at the club a year, and may not be wedded to Gold Coast long term.

If they got that extra pick, that couldn’t take Rowell and Anderson quick enough.
I bet a million to one if Carlton had pick one or two, your narrative on gc priority pick would be totally different. As you don’t have a high end pick that’s easy to say typical Carlton style 😁😁😁😁

I'm still yet to understand how a PP makes you any better now. Unless you get Walsh, Judd or Selwood (ie genuinely good in first year), how does it help with your competitiveness in the short term? All it can possibly do is improve you in the medium to long term at which point, if you haven't fixed your major problems, no amount of talented players will make any difference. If you have fixed them, then you just have a leg up on everyone who did it without a PP.

Makes no sense. Have never heard a good argument for PPs. Teams that are perennially **** arent **** because they haven't had access to top talent, they are **** because of poor off field performance (governance, list management, coaching etc).

Very very unlikely a front ended PP is given now that the other clubs have highlighted how it will compromise live pick trading - it was always going to be the case that the other clubs were going to be up in arms. At very best, it might be an end of 1st round pick, but again, unlikely. The league is going to need to look at alternative methods of assistance

The draft is about hope.
Hope of drafting a gun player, or an A grader, or a good 200 gamer.
A team struggling on-field can sell hope with young players with potential. Even when some of those players turn out to be not that good at football, the hope has been sold already.
Hope sells and always will.

If a team really needs a dose of hope, then the case for an end of 1st round PP is good.

If a team needs all the hope it can get (the Suns), and retention is a factor in every single (every single) player decision they make (all 4 northen clubs), the 2 best players in the draft are best mates and would love to play together, then a pick 1 PP is in play.

Very very unlikely a front ended PP is given now that the other clubs have highlighted how it will compromise live pick trading - it was always going to be the case that the other clubs were going to be up in arms. At very best, it might be an end of 1st round pick, but again, unlikely. The league is going to need to look at alternative methods of assistance

I will be laughing at this when we get the the early draft PP just like I did when you were counting your chickens before they hatched when you were sizing up Anderson for a Crows jumper and they lost to the Blues.

The PP rule was there last year, buyer beware when trading future picks.

I will be laughing at this when we get the the early draft PP just like I did when you were counting your chickens before they hatched when you were sizing up Anderson for a Crows jumper and they lost to the Blues.

The PP rule was there last year, buyer beware when trading future picks.
You must have confused me for the guy that gives a sch1t what you think. If it happens no PP i'll come back to you

Edit..i'd take the word of the guys that report on the latest club meeting on what is more likely to happen

You must have confused me for the guy that gives a sch1t what you think. If it happens no PP i'll come back to you

Edit..i'd take the word of the guys that report on the latest club meeting on what is more likely to happen

Haha ... I'm laughing already

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So for those who have an issue with Gold Coast getting a priority pick 1, what are your thoughts on the following four-point assistance package to help the Suns instead?

1. End of first round priority pick
2. Darwin added to Suns Academy zone
3. Three year salary cap concession for veterans - anyone who is at least 28 by the beginning of next season and has also played 100 games or more is exempt from TPP.
4. No off-field spending cap for the next five seasons.

I feel that gives them a fighting chance to be a success without compromising the draft too heavily. Thoughts?

I don't think the Suns will get a beginning of first round PP, there was a lot of support for us to get one a couple of years ago and it never eventuated, IMO they'll get an end of first rounder.

IIRC it was stated that beginning of first round PPs would only be for extraordinary circumstances ie. Player death.

So for those who have an issue with Gold Coast getting a priority pick 1, what are your thoughts on the following four-point assistance package to help the Suns instead?

3. Three year salary cap concession for veterans - anyone who is at least 28 by the beginning of next season and has also played 100 games or more is exempt from TPP.

I feel that gives them a fighting chance to be a success without compromising the draft too heavily. Thoughts?
The 2nd, 3rd and 4th ideas are good as it gives them advantage in terms of their recruiting zone by adding in the NT. Salary cap relief is good as it helps them to bring in good experienced players in the here and now and the off field spending advantage should enable them to set up a 1st class off field dynamic with the best people available running the show. The idea of PP's is no good and the clubs are pushing hard against PP's full stop and if you look at the suns list now, it has been injury that has hampered them in the second half of the year. They were competitive early on when they had their full kit running around. The will get pick 1 anyway to take Rowell who will help them next year and they have Brisbane's 1st rounder to get another top 20 kid in. The other off field assistance to attract players, retain players and expand their recruitment zone are great short / mid term assistance to get the club firing

I think they are very good suggestions for the AFL to think about. They will prompt a lot of discussion from which something very positive should emerge. I think the AFL would or should know that a priority pick No 1 will not make any difference.

They traded out their captain last year
Who demanded to leave. If anything that strengthens their case for getting help.

and let a very good footballer in Lyons go for nothing
Who didn't fit their game plan. Their inexperienced coach simply didn't know how to use him where Fagan did. If anything that strengthens their case for getting help.

they had access to State League players last year
Who were either crap or injured. Most state league players are state league players for a reason. Tim Kellys come once in a decade or two.

and have three top picks last year.
What difference does this make? They're all 18!

And another 18 year old wont make a difference as you yourself just stated.
It will because Rowell and Anderson are both more likely to stay if they're both going to the Suns. No, neither of them are going to take over games like Patrick Cripps in their first season. That's not the point of a priority pick, and if you think it is, you misunderstand the point of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back