Toast SUNS to play Port Adelaide in China in lucrative deal

Remove this Banner Ad

I approve this message highly. Can you ask them about whether the colours would entice them to favour the Suns?

Im guessing maybe to highly probable.

okd24j.jpg

But most Chinese will just be going for the novelty factor. Not sure if it's important who they go for in this game.

Last edited:
Gill is delusional if he thinks AFL will take off in China. This move has got nothing to do will the Gold Coast.

If playing one game is China, for the betterment of the club, offends a small group of simpletons to the point where they're no longer members, then they're not worth keeping. They're the same sort who didn't renew their membership after Bluey was sacked. **** them.

I'm not sure anyone's microwaving their memberships over it, but there's no doubt it will generate discussion from both sides

Its not just the one game...imagine travelling back for the following week. We'd have to do it immediately before our bye round... you'd hope so anyway

Gill is delusional if he thinks AFL will take off in China. This move has got nothing to do will the Gold Coast.
Shanghai has a population of 24 million and is the largest city in the world. If they could get just 0.001% of the population to attend the game then you're looking at a crowd of 24,000. I don't think anyone is going into this expecting Aussie rules to take off but if they can penetrate the Chinese market even in the slightest then it's completely worth it for all three parties (AFL, Suns and Port).

We have Callum Ah Chee they have Brendon Ah Chee - 1/4 chinese.

Practically locals!
It's not as silly as it sounds. You have two part-Chinese brother living the Australian dream and playing against one another. I think there's appeal in that. Ah Chee is obviously a Chinese name so that in itself would help the Shanghai locals identify better with at least one player from either team.

Ah Chee is obviously a Chinese name so that in itself would help the Shanghai locals identify better with at least one player from either team.

Apparently the 'Ah' that you see in front of Ah Chee, Ah Wong, Ahmat even, is basically an informal greeting between friends in Cantonese

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of mixed chinese / malay / japanese and indigenous athletes in Australia/New Zealand.

Good genes for a footballer. The Asian dedication, the indigenous athletic ability!

Was looking at the WW2 memorial up on Thursday Island recently and there are tonnes of mixed asian/indigenous names.

It's only a 2 hour time difference between here and Shanghai - same timezone as Perth.

It would be smart for the AFL to schedule the game to play Sunday night prime time on the east coast - 7pm kick off AEST (5pm Shanghai time). Makes for great viewing back home. It would also allow for the clubs to fly out from Australia Thursday evening, arrive early Friday morning/late Thursday night China time, then have Friday and Saturday to recover/train/whatever, before playing Sunday afternoon. Then they can fly home on Monday and have two weeks until the next game. Not bad.

You'd wanna make sure that Port and Suns have an early Saturday game (or Friday for one club) in the preceding round.

Really hope it will be made Official! Great opportunity for Sponsors! Maybe now Huawei can also be our embarrassing Empty short Sponsor!!

I know Im not totally for the idea but I mean...

69ed784abd1c107ef08b1014b4cfb16f

Slap a GC moniker on that guernsey and it is basically ours. I think Cochrane definitely knows what he is doing here

Hey GCFC Digital Putting that star above on our Guernsey much like a ANZAC or foundation one off would be a marketing triumph, would get the crowd on us straight away

My wife had already given us the all clear to go should this match eventuate. After last nights game my expectations have dropped for the moment so I thought, what else does Shanghai offer that I wish to partake in.. Shanghai Disneyland opens next month, so there's something to look forward to.
I wonder what the rides will be

The Tinanimin Tank

Guess the babies sex

Claim the pacific atol, and fish it till nothing left

Big chance the game may not happen in China now until 2018.
Travis auld is heading to China next week to find a suitable venu.
Shanghai stadium is apparently too big. 80000 seat capacity may not be able to generate a good atmosphere and also needs a lot of work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back