Expansion SUNS want a priority draft pick in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The Suns currently hold Pick 1, with chairman Tony Cochrane telling AFL Media on Monday they would aim to receive the first two picks in the 2019 national draft.

Arguably Carlton and other clubs at the hit-the-draft-hard arc of their cycle at the time got the rough end of the pineapple when the expansion teams were brought in.

Haven't the club had enough gulps from that well?

shaqsuns

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
We need the whole first three rounds of picks and some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need the whole first three rounds of picks and some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? So they all can go back home after 2 years? No, you need experienced blokes to build a culture first and foremost.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Something needs to be done to assist them, I just don't know in what form that takes.

The AFL can't go on about wanting them to be successful long term if they spend 15 years being awful. They've not even been competitive in so many of their seasons, let alone impact finals.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Adelaide to launch some strenuous objections?

I imagine every club will object. Gold Coast already had a bunch of priority picks; giving them another one is essentially rewarding them for doing a s**t job. If they want to be better, use what picks they have to try and lure a couple of good players. Easier said then done of course, but introducing another 18 year old isn’t going to do anything

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
What’s the point of sending more young talent up there. They have young talent plus number one pick all but sewn up. The AFL need to consider alternative ways. Perhaps some experienced players somehow finding their way up there. And I mean veterans.
Look at targeting some recruits from country areas. Probably less likely to want to go home.
Also don’t trade pick 2 for Lachie Weller.

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Not more draft picks but some sort of retention policy for both the Suns & GWS as other clubs are just picking off the better players each year

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
For the first time ever, I actually agree they need one. Carlton can still be a destination club with their history, location, fan base etc. GC just don't have anything going for them. AFL probably have to subsidize salaries so players get paid more just for playing at GC, or bump up their salary cap.

Last edited:
A #1 draft pick doesn't make you competitive. Here is the lag on that:

2008 - Melbourne: pick one (played finals ten years later)
2009 - Melbourne: pick one, pick two (played finals nine years later)
2010 - Gold Coast: pick one, pick two, pick three (N/A)
2011 - GWS: pick one, pick two, pick three, pick four, pick five (played finals five years later)
2012 - GWS: pick one, pick two, pick three (played finals four years later)
2013 - GWS: pick one, pick two (played finals three years later)
2014 - St Kilda: pick one
2015 - Carlton: pick one
2016 - Essendon: pick one
2017 - Brisbane: pick one
2018 - Carlton: pick one

I think it's reasonable to say that the top picks they had years ago haven't "kicked in" yet.

If we give them ten of the top five picks over three years they might make the finals after another three years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would mind them getting one but it has to be traded. They don't need more kids they need experienced bodies, the side is way too young.
That is stupid though.

What if no good players want to go there?or clubs want to bend them over at the trade table?

Then they end up trading away pick #1 for an average player

Give them 4 list spots that don't count against the SC and with up to half a million bucks in each spot paid for by the AFL.

That will let them go nuts for free agents and trades.

You could extend this by allowing them to sign any out of contract player as though they were a free agent.

Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
You could extend this by allowing them to sign any out of contract player as though they were a free agent.

Someting like that would also work.

I like the system where they (basically) get 4 x list spots with an extra 500k in each (the cash is paid for by the AFL and not counted against the cap).

They can use those list spots to help them retain want-away players (put Tom Lynch in one of those slots) or to attract guns from other sides as F/A or trades.

They'll have 4 x Elite players in the side, most likely either home grown talent, or guns traded in.

Pumping 1st rounders into them by the boatload isnt working; those kids are just bailing on them the first chance they get.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
If Gold Coast doesn’t win another game this year (18 game losing streak), which looks very possible, I expect them to get the pick 1 PP.

I think the fact that Carlton won’t have pick 2 helps them. Think the AFL would’ve felt bad about pushing them back when they’ve been almost as bad the past few years.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Why? So they all can go back home after 2 years? No, you need experienced blokes to build a culture first and foremost.
The only experienced players they can get they got last year in Miles etc. no experience very good player wants to go there to play. Don't get it myself, i go there at least three times a year and i'm planning on moving there soon, but i think it's the not playing in front of big crowds that does it for players there.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
If Gold Coast doesn’t win another game this year (18 game losing streak), which looks very possible, I expect them to get the pick 1 PP.

I think the fact that Carlton won’t have pick 2 helps them. Think the AFL would’ve felt bad about pushing them back when they’ve been almost as bad the past few years.
Good point, but they can give them it (pick 2) on the bases it has to be traded for an established gun mid 20 year old player.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Good point, but they can give them it (pick 2) on the bases it has to be traded for an established gun mid 20 year old player.

What player worth pick 2 would volunteer to go there. Will not happen.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
What player worth pick 2 would volunteer to go there. Will not happen.
Not sure but that's the only way to start to get them up, because young teens wont help
This wont happen but one way to fix it would be give them pick 2 to then have them trade pick 1 & 2 for Bont and Cripps

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
I know i won't happen but make it so teams can't poach players from them for 5 years, not saying they can't leave just no teams can contact a GC player until they have been on the list for 5 years(that includes player managers etc)

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL should give them the Priority pick.
But only them and let it be the last time.

The only reason for it is they have had a lot of players leave and obviously that's going to cause problems.
Let's go through the list of players they developed that turned them away and left for other clubs.

Gary Ablett, Dion Prestia, Harley Bennell, Tom Lynch, Josh Caddy, Carlie Dixon, Stephan May, Jaega Omera, Brandon Matera, Aaron Hall.

Then you got rumours of trades involving this season's Sam Day and Jack Martin. You see the problems thats happening last few years. They develop players when they are young and when they look ready and mature to make a contribution they pack their bags and leave.

No club can build a quality team if the list turnover they have had keeps up.

It's a problem AFL need to sort out. They need to retain their players for the long haul.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back