The podcast that isn't called Sunscast anymore - Discussion Topcs and Questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything in particular you guys want us to talk about - or indeed you would like to come on and talk about - this week? Feel free to PM me too if you want.

Anything in particular you guys want us to talk about - or indeed you would like to come on and talk about - this week? Feel free to PM me too if you want.
What are we all going to do with a week without a Suns Game?

I guess you could talk about whether 5 wins is a pass mark just over halfway through the season given you speculated what the pass mark was a month ago. Sort of like a call back to a previous topic. You could even talk about the next 4 games for the Suns and what should be expected (a few wins you'd hope). I suppose you could also speculate as to which 6 (maybe 7) players will be cut at the end of this year? I'm sure McKenna being on 360 tonight will throw up a few topics as well.

Also, I think fair or foul this week should be about what Dave Hughes said to the boys on Before The Game. If you haven't seen it I think you can watch it on ten.com.au or whatever their website is. I know he was trying to be funny but a few were a bit personal haha.

Just had a listen to the most recent Sunscast and I have to say, I think you are too nice with the way you want players to be treated darkwingduck. You definitely have a soft spot for guys like Murphy but I think the biggest thing is the fact that Murphy is very unlikely to get any better (or any younger) and guys like Tape have a huge upside IMO. You said you saw him in the premiership 22 but I think he is going to have to continuously prove himself when one of the players look like they might jump over him. It'd probably be a slippery slop for Murphy if he got dropped and couldn't make it out of the NEAFL.

Just my opinion but surely you can see that he will be under fire at one point. If you had the choice of a younger guy or him, presuming they were on the exact same level form/skill wise, the club would be likely to go with the younger guy I would have thought (given that player has some AFL experience).

On a personal level I would be absolutely shattered if Murph was played all season long - then dropped for finals/a GF. I think we all would. I guess that's what I was initially reacting/referring to on there.

From a coaching perspective and a completely emotion free one - I genuinely believe that he is quite easily in our best 22. His defensive ability, leadership qualities and ability to organise I feel are key attributes that quite simply, none of our other back 6 are even close to having. I feel that each group - forwards, backs, mids - should all have their own 'coach on the field'. I think organisation and leadership in this area is crucial. His ability to leave his man and affect another contest is also an undervalued trait.

I dunno, I just reckon that for one reason or another everyone underrates him. Indeed I think this type of player is undervalued across the whole competition. Look at how Collingwood fans treat Toovey/Maxwell (I shudder to think of the vitriol he'd cop if he didn't have the captaincy). Even Zac Dawson!

But yeah, it's such a great topic of conversation. I know that we went completely off track and I had to cut so much discussion out about it!

On a personal level I would be absolutely shattered if Murph was played all season long - then dropped for finals/a GF. I think we all would. I guess that's what I was initially reacting/referring to on there.

From a coaching perspective and a completely emotion free one - I genuinely believe that he is quite easily in our best 22. His defensive ability, leadership qualities and ability to organise I feel are key attributes that quite simply, none of our other back 6 are even close to having. I feel that each group - forwards, backs, mids - should all have their own 'coach on the field'. I think organisation and leadership in this area is crucial. His ability to leave his man and affect another contest is also an undervalued trait.

I dunno, I just reckon that for one reason or another everyone underrates him. Indeed I think this type of player is undervalued across the whole competition. Look at how Collingwood fans treat Toovey/Maxwell (I shudder to think of the vitriol he'd cop if he didn't have the captaincy). Even Zac Dawson!

But yeah, it's such a great topic of conversation. I know that we went completely off track and I had to cut so much discussion out about it!

We were both young when I first saw you, I close my eyes and the flashbacks start, i'm standing there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any topics you guys want covered on Sunscast?

And also, if by any miraculous chance we managed to have a player on, are there any questions related to the player group or the like that you'd like to hear?

Any topics you guys want covered on Sunscast?

And also, if by any miraculous chance we managed to have a player on, are there any questions related to the player group or the like that you'd like to hear?

How about one big segment on list management? It seems to be getting harder every week with the likes of Gorringe becoming more and more likely to be traded while guys like Nicholls and Brown have proven they have more to give beyond this season. Then you have a guy like Boston who could be pushing for a rookie elevation to push the number of players needed to be delisted to 7 (I think). Then you have the Bock situation where you question if he'll ever get back to where he was before. Plenty of talking points for that discussion.

This week's Sunscast is up!
www.sunscast.podbean.com

Thanks to Rendered Unsafe who runs the Lions podcast over on their board for talking us through the matchup this week.

Fair or Foul features a photo you can find on www.facebook.com/sunscast
Sorry I couldn't upload it here, the file was too large for some reason.
Tell us if you think it's fair or foul?!

Hey darkwingduck

Any chance of Sunscast being revived? I had fun listening to it a few times this year. You could always do a special episode with the 2014 draw being announced tomorrow.
I'm not 100% sure to be honest mate. I loved doing it full time - but there's two major issues. The first being the cost - it's not a lot but still, the second and most important being the editing time. I know there was a heap of crackle in it, but that was just because of the equipment and distance between people. But the editing time every week just really takes it's toll. It took about an hour or so to tape, then took about 3 hours to edit, then like 8 hours to upload. I don't think I have the time or patience for that every week unfortunately.

A one off show I'd be totally all for - except I've let the membership to the host site run out and I don't want to pay another sign up fee etc. Maybe youtube could be a goer, but that makes it pretty hard to listen to on the go doesn't it?

I'm not 100% sure to be honest mate. I loved doing it full time - but there's two major issues. The first being the cost - it's not a lot but still, the second and most important being the editing time. I know there was a heap of crackle in it, but that was just because of the equipment and distance between people. But the editing time every week just really takes it's toll. It took about an hour or so to tape, then took about 3 hours to edit, then like 8 hours to upload. I don't think I have the time or patience for that every week unfortunately.

A one off show I'd be totally all for - except I've let the membership to the host site run out and I don't want to pay another sign up fee etc. Maybe youtube could be a goer, but that makes it pretty hard to listen to on the go doesn't it?
I hear you. I'm sure Sunscast fans would appreciate even just one episode on YouTube that discusses the 2014 draw and a few other issues with the club. Looking at the current contract status thread you can see a lot of our boys contracts are up next year. Perhaps you could discuss that as well?

If the fans ask, the fans shall receive! Yourself, Matchu and anyone else who wants to be involved or have any topics they'd like discussed, let me know here. And I'll see what we can do within a week or so!

If the fans ask, the fans shall receive! Yourself, Matchu and anyone else who wants to be involved or have any topics they'd like discussed, let me know here. And I'll see what we can do within a week or so!

Exciting stuff darkwingduck. Potential topics could include Gary winning the Brownlow, Jaeger winning the Rising Star, the 2014 draw, list management (26 guys off contract next year), the upcoming draft and 2014 expectations.

Things that might be worth mention:
  • The club has secured funding for a real training and admin facility and will move out of the demountables in the next few years.
  • The AFL confirmed the club will be allowed to host finals matches at Metricon.
  • Jack Martin next year and what to expect.
More topics will probably come to me soon...

Always a people pleaser darkwingduck. Really looking forward to the return of Sunscast! Even if it is just a one off. Perhaps an announcement on the Sunscast social media platforms could get some questions coming in as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back