super 14 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Force absolutely smashed the reds they were completely dominated by Forces defense.

An i would say Cross had the better game between him an Digby.
Cross didnt make as many linebreaks but he sure made up for it with his defense he was outstandind defensively as were most the team.

More teams need to BOMB the force with high kicks, we are pathetic under the high ball.
Everytime i see a bomb go noone wants to take it an if someone finally does try an take one they always knock it on.
I hate seeing the ball get kicked so much in union but against the force its a great attacking option, use it to gain metres to get into scoring positions or use it to score trys it will work.

Force absolutely smashed the reds they were completely dominated by Forces defense.

An i would say Cross had the better game between him an Digby.
Cross didnt make as many linebreaks but he sure made up for it with his defense he was outstandind defensively as were most the team.

More teams need to BOMB the force with high kicks, we are pathetic under the high ball.
Everytime i see a bomb go noone wants to take it an if someone finally does try an take one they always knock it on.
I hate seeing the ball get kicked so much in union but against the force its a great attacking option, use it to gain metres to get into scoring positions or use it to score trys it will work.

Cross was solid, but Ioni was outstanding. Ioni will walk into the Wallabies, whereas Cross will be lucky to get a spot on the bench. Hopefully Mitchell will be heading back home next year.

Cross was solid, but Ioni was outstanding. Ioni will walk into the Wallabies, whereas Cross will be lucky to get a spot on the bench. Hopefully Mitchell will be heading back home next year.

Where will Digby play for Australia..

10. Giteau
11. Mitchell or Tuquri (I hate it but that is how the selectors will go)
12. Barnes
13. Motlock/Cross/NSW outside centre
14. Hynes
15. AAK/Shephard

All are ahead of Digby Iaone!

Where will Digby play for Australia..

10. Giteau
11. Mitchell or Tuquri (I hate it but that is how the selectors will go)
12. Barnes
13. Motlock/Cross/NSW outside centre
14. Hynes
15. AAK/Shephard

All are ahead of Digby Iaone!

10. Giteu
11. Gerrard
12. Barnes
13. Mortlock/Ioni
14. Hynes
15. Mitchell

I actually did not realise the depth of our backs :D, but I would have Ioni as a sub for Mortlock at outside centre. Tuqiri should not be allowed within 50m of the ground and Cross is at best a bench player.

No chance he is playing outside centre, he is ordinary in defence. Rob Horne is by far and away the best performed young outside centre, and Cross is going to be there as well. Face it Ioni has to push Hynes out and frankly I don't like his chances as Hynes was our best performed winger last year, even better than Drew Mitchell. Mitchell will not be at fullback, he is very suspect in defence there. Cameron Shelphard would be my pick, just ahead of AAK and Mark Gerrard.

I agree with Bombersno1

The coaches love the defensive game that Mortlock an Cross bring even though there is better attacking options they will stick with safety first.
Mitchell is terrible at fullback.
Shephard would be my pick too.

Iaone Ione? would have to play on the wing an i would take hynes out i still dont think much of him he just doesnt have anything special about him that makes you think evertime he touches the ball something could happen.
Iaone on the wings with his speed,acceleration, strength an sidestep would be great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Bombersno1

The coaches love the defensive game that Mortlock an Cross bring even though there is better attacking options they will stick with safety first.
Mitchell is terrible at fullback.
Shephard would be my pick too.

Iaone Ione? would have to play on the wing an i would take hynes out i still dont think much of him he just doesnt have anything special about him that makes you think evertime he touches the ball something could happen.
Iaone on the wings with his speed,acceleration, strength an sidestep would be great.

I do not understand the love for Cross. Ione is much better off playing in the centres as he is wasted on the wing. He needs to be in the game all the time. Have you guys see many Red's games this year? He has been on fire lately. I still think Mitchell is good at full back, although I would not be unhappy with AAC or Shephard. Hynes is a must as he never makes a mistake and does all that is asked of him. All I ask is that Tuqiri is not picked in the squad.

I do not understand the love for Cross. Ione is much better off playing in the centres as he is wasted on the wing. He needs to be in the game all the time. Have you guys see many Red's games this year? He has been on fire lately. I still think Mitchell is good at full back, although I would not be unhappy with AAC or Shephard. Hynes is a must as he never makes a mistake and does all that is asked of him. All I ask is that Tuqiri is not picked in the squad.

I go to the Reds games, so yes I have seen Ione play and regularly is caught out in defence in the centres. You cannot afford to have that happening at test level. My gut feeling is that Rob Horne is in between a Cross (a solid defensive player) and Ioane (a good attacking player). He'd be my outside centre after Mortlock. Ione will NEVER be picked in the centres for Australia, that is just plain reality. The defensive side of the game especially at outside centre is crucial in test matches, Berrick Barnes can't cover BOTH Giteau and Ione due to the fact neither can defend!

My side

15. Shephard (I do feel he is the best one with the best kicking game we have)

14. Hynes (as you said, has done all he has been asked)

13. Motlock OR Rob Horne

12. Barnes (Quade Cooper his deputy)

11. Mitchell (Ione, Turner, and Tuquri just behind)

10. Giteau

9. Burgess (Valentine and Lucas behind him)

That is how I'd line up AT FULL FITNESS. Motlock is the one I'd keep in cotton wool for the really big games.

I go to the Reds games, so yes I have seen Ione play and regularly is caught out in defence in the centres. You cannot afford to have that happening at test level. My gut feeling is that Rob Horne is in between a Cross (a solid defensive player) and Ioane (a good attacking player). He'd be my outside centre after Mortlock. Ione will NEVER be picked in the centres for Australia, that is just plain reality. The defensive side of the game especially at outside centre is crucial in test matches, Berrick Barnes can't cover BOTH Giteau and Ione due to the fact neither can defend!

My side

15. Shephard (I do feel he is the best one with the best kicking game we have)

14. Hynes (as you said, has done all he has been asked)

13. Motlock OR Rob Horne

12. Barnes (Quade Cooper his deputy)

11. Mitchell (Ione, Turner, and Tuquri just behind)

10. Giteau

9. Burgess (Valentine and Lucas behind him)

That is how I'd line up AT FULL FITNESS. Motlock is the one I'd keep in cotton wool for the really big games.

That is a quality line up. :thumbsu: Perhaps Ioni could play in the centres against the crap teams in which he does not have to apply much defensive pressure. I will make sure to take note of Ioni's tackling in the next game. By the way it is great to have some quality discussion on the rugby union board. :thumbsu: It is a pity I live in Melbourne and cannot get to any Super 14 games. :( However, I do have Foxtel. :D

That is a quality line up. :thumbsu: Perhaps Ioni could play in the centres against the crap teams in which he does not have to apply much defensive pressure. I will make sure to take note of Ioni's tackling in the next game. By the way it is great to have some quality discussion on the rugby union board. :thumbsu: It is a pity I live in Melbourne and cannot get to any Super 14 games. :( However, I do have Foxtel. :D

It is the way I feel they will go. It is not a disrespect to Digby Ioane, but he is not an international standard centre. He is similar to Mills Muliena (NZ player) who is a good centre when played there at Super 14 level, but he is never picked there in test matches- always on the wing or fullback due to his poor defensive reads. I go to most Reds games as work commitments spread my time between Melbourne and Brisbane and I try to go up to Brissie when the Reds are on so I can claim the fights back.

Take note of Ioane's defence, and have a good look at Rob Horne's defence. I hate watching NSW as they bore the living life out of me, but I do appreciate how good Horne will be for Australia in the future!

It is the way I feel they will go. It is not a disrespect to Digby Ioane, but he is not an international standard centre. He is similar to Mills Muliena (NZ player) who is a good centre when played there at Super 14 level, but he is never picked there in test matches- always on the wing or fullback due to his poor defensive reads. I go to most Reds games as work commitments spread my time between Melbourne and Brisbane and I try to go up to Brissie when the Reds are on so I can claim the fights back.

Take note of Ioane's defence, and have a good look at Rob Horne's defence. I hate watching NSW as they bore the living life out of me, but I do appreciate how good Horne will be for Australia in the future!

Will do. Do you agree that Tuqiri is shite?

Will do. Do you agree that Tuqiri is shite?

Yes and no, and I will explain it.

He is not the worst winger around and he does a job. Physically he is rarely caught out in defence. However, and this is the biggest issue, he is barely a finisher. Can you remember any test match he has scored multiple tries? If he has it was before my time, he is more your robust winger that is solid. Mitchell, Ioane, Shephard, Hynes, Turner are all noted try scorers. So to answer your question, he would not be in my side, but I have no complaints him being in the squad. A GOOD winger should score 1 try in 2 tests, Tuquri is at about 25%, meaning he scores 1 try in 4, that is poor for a winger.

Yes and no, and I will explain it.

He is not the worst winger around and he does a job. Physically he is rarely caught out in defence. However, and this is the biggest issue, he is barely a finisher. Can you remember any test match he has scored multiple tries? If he has it was before my time, he is more your robust winger that is solid. Mitchell, Ioane, Shephard, Hynes, Turner are all noted try scorers. So to answer your question, he would not be in my side, but I have no complaints him being in the squad. A GOOD winger should score 1 try in 2 tests, Tuquri is at about 25%, meaning he scores 1 try in 4, that is poor for a winger.

Fair assessment. It just annoys me how he is often picked due to his profile. I think Staniforth was a better winger in his prime.

Fair assessment. It just annoys me how he is often picked due to his profile. I think Staniforth was a better winger in his prime.

Staniforth was inconsistent as well though. The issue with Tuquri is his finishing skills, that is pretty much the dead bottom line. If he can improve that then we'll re-assess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back