Super 14 Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

^ ahh it was more just a combination of things, the disgust in the idiots pulling back KB when he was clearly onside, then that ridiculous call at the end.

Even a mate messaged me saying that was outright cheating by the TMO awarding that try.

Should never have got on the plane, we were never going to be allowed to win the game and have now list Clify for the season for our troubles (Tahs + Australia)

Im back from being in PNG for 2 weeks. We are just past the halfway point in the season who do you guys rate as being the best performing front rower, locks, loose forwards, halves, wings and centres?

Interesting discussion potential there.

Props: Benny Alexander. Afoa started the season particularly well but has been hurt, Robinson has been his normal solid self too, Crockett and Brok Harris also been good.

Hookers: Pretty easy here...TPN. Du Plessis has had his moments, he has overtaken Smit by now surely as a hooker, Paulo from the Crusaders impresses me too and Mealamu when he is out there has been very consistent as usual.

Locks: Pretty tough to split a few here, Mumm, Andries Bekker, Sharpe, Matfield all been very solid, i'd go with Bekker just ahead of Mumm. Douglas is so impressive as a young guy though and a couple of young Kiwi locks in Boric and Patterson have been good too.

Flankers: So many to pick from. Elsom, Reid, Thomson, Messam, Braid, Hodgson, Higginbotham, Kaino all been good when i have watched each of them play really. Tough to pick, i'd go Thomson, Braid and Elsom. Pocock would be up there if he hadnt been injured for so long. Ben McCalman from the Force is a ripper of a player, should be in Wallabies squad. Has been very impressive in his debut season. McCaw when not resting has been his normal influential self.

No. 8's: Spies has been devastating behind a mighty pack this year so i have to go with him. Hoiles has been great for ACT.

Halfbacks: Genia. Simple.

Fly Halves: Cooper has been the best. Steyn has been great with the boot and have seen some very sharp distribution from him as well, coming along nicely. Halangahu has improved once again this year to undoubtedly be the Tahs' best option at 10. Of course Carter has been himself.

Centres: Ioane at 13 has been very good, Ranger for the Blues is devastating when on song, La Grange from the Lions has been good in a woeful team and JOC when playing at 12 is easily the best player at the Force in the backs. But what Jaque Fourie has added to the Stormers i think wins him the best centre mantle for the year so far.

Wings: Mitchell, Sivivatu (when not hurt as he seems to often be) and Habana the best of them. Turner improving and getting more involved and Guildford at the Crusaders is also on the up.

Fullbacks: before he got injured, Israel Dagg was going brilliantly. But even with that being said, Hynes i think has been the best 15 this year.

Make of all that what you will!

Serves him right for deliberately knocking on against the Sharks. ;) :D

Two wrongs don't mae a right.

The one you've been sookig about for weeks is a matter of your interpretation beig wrong.

KB being behind the ball every step of the way is not a matter of interpretation.

I don't usually whinge about refereeing, but **** that game made me angry on the w/e :mad:

Interesting discussion potential there.

Props: Benny Alexander. Afoa started the season particularly well but has been hurt, Robinson has been his normal solid self too, Crockett and Brok Harris also been good.

Hookers: Pretty easy here...TPN. Du Plessis has had his moments, he has overtaken Smit by now surely as a hooker, Paulo from the Crusaders impresses me too and Mealamu when he is out there has been very consistent as usual.

Locks: Pretty tough to split a few here, Mumm, Andries Bekker, Sharpe, Matfield all been very solid, i'd go with Bekker just ahead of Mumm. Douglas is so impressive as a young guy though and a couple of young Kiwi locks in Boric and Patterson have been good too.

Flankers: So many to pick from. Elsom, Reid, Thomson, Messam, Braid, Hodgson, Higginbotham, Kaino all been good when i have watched each of them play really. Tough to pick, i'd go Thomson, Braid and Elsom. Pocock would be up there if he hadnt been injured for so long. Ben McCalman from the Force is a ripper of a player, should be in Wallabies squad. Has been very impressive in his debut season. McCaw when not resting has been his normal influential self.

No. 8's: Spies has been devastating behind a mighty pack this year so i have to go with him. Hoiles has been great for ACT.

Halfbacks: Genia. Simple.

Fly Halves: Cooper has been the best. Steyn has been great with the boot and have seen some very sharp distribution from him as well, coming along nicely. Halangahu has improved once again this year to undoubtedly be the Tahs' best option at 10. Of course Carter has been himself.

Centres: Ioane at 13 has been very good, Ranger for the Blues is devastating when on song, La Grange from the Lions has been good in a woeful team and JOC when playing at 12 is easily the best player at the Force in the backs. But what Jaque Fourie has added to the Stormers i think wins him the best centre mantle for the year so far.

Wings: Mitchell, Sivivatu (when not hurt as he seems to often be) and Habana the best of them. Turner improving and getting more involved and Guildford at the Crusaders is also on the up.

Fullbacks: before he got injured, Israel Dagg was going brilliantly. But even with that being said, Hynes i think has been the best 15 this year.

Make of all that what you will!

Agree with all of that, however I think Kankowski should be considered at 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best game of the year.

Intense beyond measure and intriguing the way 2 game styles met. The Bulls wanted to rumble through the forwards all night and use Du Preez and Morne's kicking games to lock the Reds in their own half and feed off mistakes. The Reds did not kick the ball out in their own half and ran the ball all night long and just ran the Bulls pack off their feet. Just intriguing to watch it all happen.

Higginbotham's try was just...wow. That boy can run.

The Red's pack was brilliant. They took out the Bulls' scrum (ive always said it, Steenkamp is a liability, not a good scrummager) won ball on the Bulls throw and dominated at the breakdown, getting quick ball to let Quade and Genia do what they do.

Quade and Genia btw are just incredibly gifted. They are always moving forward and they run a backline the way it should be run, the way coaches want their 9 and 10 to run a game, but you actually rarely see it from a 9 and 10 combo. These 2 are special (thanks Bruce).

Reds have knocked the Tahs out of the 4 now as well.

Best game of the year.

Intense beyond measure and intriguing the way 2 game styles met. The Bulls wanted to rumble through the forwards all night and use Du Preez and Morne's kicking games to lock the Reds in their own half and feed off mistakes. The Reds did not kick the ball out in their own half and ran the ball all night long and just ran the Bulls pack off their feet. Just intriguing to watch it all happen.

Higginbotham's try was just...wow. That boy can run.

The Red's pack was brilliant. They took out the Bulls' scrum (ive always said it, Steenkamp is a liability, not a good scrummager) won ball on the Bulls throw and dominated at the breakdown, getting quick ball to let Quade and Genia do what they do.

Quade and Genia btw are just incredibly gifted. They are always moving forward and they run a backline the way it should be run, the way coaches want their 9 and 10 to run a game, but you actually rarely see it from a 9 and 10 combo. These 2 are special (thanks Bruce).

Reds have knocked the Tahs out of the 4 now as well.

I think I was most impressed with the pack, in particular the front row. Chambers is adapting nicely to union. His one-on-one steal was very impressive.

I'd tip the last 4 to be Brumbies (ridiculously talented team and should be there), Crusaders (always there abouts), Bulls (have lost Habana, but i think their pack is still good enough) and i'll go Tahs (with Barnes they have some direction and authority amongst the ball players at last). I'd say a final of Crusaders vs Brumbies is the most likely with Canterbury to win it. Carter and McCaw leading the Crusaders against Rocky and Gits leading the Brumbies, how romantic.

I'd also throw up the Stormers to be a bolter. I know i know they ALWAYS look like they will be a bolter for the top 4 yet they never do it, but they have added Fourie and Habana to their backline this year and their pack is strong. They have to get close to the top 4 this year, it is impossible that a team this talented can keep underachieving.

So i reckon Brumbies will get to the final, Tahs to the final 4, Reds about 8th, Force about 10th. Reds should improve if injuries dont **** them up too badly and the Force may well struggle i reckon.

For some players to stand out, i'll go 3 from each team who i think will be very good this year barring injuries and one bolter who could have a great year without being expected to necessarily:

Brumbies: Elsom, Giteau, Ashley-Cooper with a bolter being Mitch Chapman (he's in the leadership group now, they clearly rate him, though he plays 6 where Rocky is)

Tahs: Robinson, Polota-Nau, Barnes and a bolter in Rory Sidey

Force: Pocock, O'Connor, Shepherd and a bolter in Ben Whittaker

Reds: Ioane, Cooper, Horwill and a bolter in Ben Daley

Good call.

I think with Mackenzie at the helm the Reds will show marked improvement and may push for the top 4, but will fall short. Brumbies will remain the best Aussie team.

I was fairly close.

Yeh another great win for the Reds. Had to really aim up after a big win over the Bulls and deserved the win.

Bekker is a really good player. So mobile for someone so large. He deserves to be the 2nd lock with Matfield this Winter. It might be Botha once he is back from injury, but it should be Bekker. His influence on the Stormers' games this year has been enormous.

Genia is just awesome. Depending on how the Trinations go and if he can outplay Du Preez in that tournament he will be well and truly regarded as the best halfback in the world and up there as one of the best players in world rugby.

Yeh another great win for the Reds. Had to really aim up after a big win over the Bulls and deserved the win.

Bekker is a really good player. So mobile for someone so large. He deserves to be the 2nd lock with Matfield this Winter. It might be Botha once he is back from injury, but it should be Bekker. His influence on the Stormers' games this year has been enormous.

Genia is just awesome. Depending on how the Trinations go and if he can outplay Du Preez in that tournament he will be well and truly regarded as the best halfback in the world and up there as one of the best players in world rugby.

Genia > McCaw. McCaw is an outright cheat. I have been watching some of the Force vs Crusaders game and he should have been penalised 3 times already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back