FTA-TV Super Fun Night [starring BigFooty favourite Rebel Wilson]

Remove this Banner Ad

I get tired of people kicking her in this country for no obvious reason than she is fat chick. But here's the trick if you don't like her then don't watch her, and if you don't watch her stop posting uninformed opinions about her based on stuff she did 15 years ago.

Or you know, maybe it has nothing to do with that and some people just think she's a genuinely unfunny, average comedian/actor.

Nah, she seems to get people worked up for some reason. If people were just posting about comedians they don't find funny then we'd have thread overload.

Any more than arsehats like Dane Cook?

I don't think she's any different to anyone/thing else in that if someone annoys you, the more you see of them throughout a particular period of time, the more they annoy you...because obviously, you're seeing more of them. And we're seeing a lot of her at the moment. A few years down the track the detractors will still hold the same opinion, but my guess is she won't be splashed around everywhere, so you'll hear less of her and logically, less annoyance at her.

The difference being that Dane Cook is the biggest selling comedian of the last 30 years, and Rebel Wilson has had a few well-received supporting roles in movies.

I am not sure why she cops so much flak. I think it's probably as simple as Australians not liking the idea of being represented overseas by a fat chick who does unsophisticated humour.

Or you know, maybe it has nothing to do with that and some people just think she's a genuinely unfunny, average comedian/actor.

Look... I have nothing against people saying they don't like her based on the fact they don't find her funny. There's heaps of comedic actors I don't find funny too, but I don't go on forums and post nasty s**t about them just because I don't find them funny.

Rebel cops an unfair amount of nasty, mean spirited crap from some out there and she doesn't deserve that.

The difference being that Dane Cook is the biggest selling comedian of the last 30 years, and Rebel Wilson has had a few well-received supporting roles in movies.

I am not sure why she cops so much flak. I think it's probably as simple as Australians not liking the idea of being represented overseas by a fat chick who does unsophisticated humour.

You've got it

If she weren't Australian she wouldn't get all the hate here

People on here don't like Aussies who have success for any reason OS

Look at all the hate that people like Nicole Kidman have got on here at times

Does anyone remember The Wedge ?

Case in point!
Chris Lilley was on that horrible Big Bite show. Members of the Chaser wrote for Comedy Inc.

Listen whilst I was defending her the Kevin james comparison was fair. I have hated everything he's in but he's an ok comic actor, if he was involved in something well written I wouldn't be against it. Just an actor trying to make it.

That made me laugh. All comedy is just the same material rehashed and repackaged over and over. I think her style is a bit more edgy than Kevin James :rolleyes: I think if I was to compare her to a male comedian/actor it would be Chris Farley due to the gross out stuff he did that rebel also does.

I get tired of people kicking her in this country for no obvious reason than she is fat chick. But here's the trick if you don't like her then don't watch her, and if you don't watch her stop posting uninformed opinions about her based on stuff she did 15 years ago.

Fat..and a chick - unforgivable sins!!!!

Don't forget she used a Joke (ie The Australian kiss one) that is like 100 years old on the MTV awards... BLASPHEMA! Burn her! Witch!

She should be admired she was in a series of s**t comedy series on the commercial networks that were all failures, she is proudly an Aussie, she seems willing to be herself on talk shows (and her schtik is not limited to fat chick jokes) and she has been successful - pitch perfect was definitely improved by having her in it.

To compare her to Kevin James or James Belushi is an insult - she has more edge than they do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She should be admired she was in a series of s**t comedy series on the commercial networks that were all failures, she is proudly an Aussie, she seems willing to be herself on talk shows (and her schtik is not limited to fat chick jokes) and she has been successful - pitch perfect was definitely improved by having her in it.

To compare her to Kevin James or James Belushi is an insult - she has more edge than they do

Exactly right. Or her role in the movie The Bridesmaids where she played a character that was being thought of as "an ugly fat chick who doesn't deserve to get married to that good looking guy" by the three main protagonists of the movie. That somehow mirrors this whole attitude people have towards her in this country, and actually made her perfect for the role.

You're preaching to the choir here Contra :thumbsu:

Don't forget she used a Joke (ie The Australian kiss one) that is like 100 years old on the MTV awards... BLASPHEMA! Burn her! Witch!

Give me an example of why she's terrible

Gives an example

OK except for that time, give me an example of why she's terrible

Repeat.

Dane Cook wouldn't be any more exposed to Australian audiences at the moment than Rebel Wilson would be. In fact, I'd say that she's been far more exposed than he to Australian audiences as of late. Yet, if I was asked my opinion on him, I'd say I don't like him because he's an unfunny comedian with nothing particularly original or out of the ordinary to offer.

Just as, if I was asked my opinion on Rebel Wilson, I'd say I don't like her because she's an unfunny comedian/actor with nothing particularly original or new to offer. Absolutely nothing to do with how she looks. I'm sure there are probably some douchebags out there that don't like her because she's fat, but folks saying "People just don't like her because she's fat, etc" lumps in any one who dislikes her with the same docuhebags, which is unfair. So...to re-iterate:

Don't care if she's fat or what she looks like, I just think she's unfunny and does little to earn my interest or attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back