English Super League Super League 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen the game, but people were raving about Tony Gigot. He was so good against us, and apparently was equally good against Saints. He seems like one of those players who's really under-achieved his potential. Meanwhile we got past a fairly ordinary Cas side with more of the same. Cas, unlike Catalans, weren't smart enough, or didn't have the pace, to stop Field, and he made mugs of them twice. And we weren't the same, in attack or defence, when Tommy went off in the second half.

Btw, Aucklander, great fun in the Saturday game on Channel 4, as former Warrior Mason Lino and former part-time Tiger Jacob Miller totally bossed Widdop and George Williams to give Wakefield a deserved win against Warrington, Lino capping it off with a lovely solo try..

Btw, Aucklander, great fun in the Saturday game on Channel 4, as former Warrior Mason Lino and former part-time Tiger Jacob Miller totally bossed Widdop and George Williams to give Wakefield a deserved win against Warrington, Lino capping it off with a lovely solo try..

Lino was a good player. Surprised they dumped him after SJ left.

Meanwhile in the Challenge Cup, Wigan get past Salford efficiently enough 20-0 to progress to the quarter-finals, where we will boringly meet Warrington, who we seem to meet every damn year in the Cup. But only if they get past Wakefield in a replay, who deservedly beat them in a televised league game last week. The two favourites, Saints and Catalans, are drawn against each other in one of the other quarter-finals.

Ticket and coach ticket bought for the Cup game at Wakefield on Sunday, which will be a rare spot on the BBC live for Wigan.

In other great, and unexpected news, Jai Field extends his deal.

Second-highest try-scorer in SL so far, highest points for Man Of Steel, top metre maker... needless to say, delighted with this. :D

Not worth starting another thread for the Challenge Cup, but I went to a first post-Covid away game today, and a great team effort saw us win convincingly 6-36 at Wakefield, with the score not really reflecting the game. Wakey had plenty of field position, and Mason Lino kicked admirably (two 40/20's in the first half!), but our defence held firm, and Jai Field is just on fire. A word on the, in my opinion, criminally under-rated MotM Liam Farrell. Another try and an assist today, on top of the 30+ tackles and 100+m he makes every week, the guy has scored 112 (maybe 113, don't know if wiki has caught up!) tries in 278 games for Wigan. Many wingers would be proud of that record, let alone a back-rower. Maybe not quite in the Steve Menzies category, but not far off.

Last edited:
The oldest rivalry in rugby league (don't try giving me your Roosters v Bunnies!) recommences tomorrow as we travel to St Helens for the traditional Good Friday fixture. No Zak Hardaker (omitted for disciplinary reasons, a bold call by the coach, but one I respect). Saints will be strong favourites, but I trust we will be competitive at least.

Yeah, well, that's where we are. We have made massive progress since last season, which is great, but Saints set the standard, and we are still a fair way short of it yet.

A long time. It was a really bad one, and we are expecting 6-8 games. And Powell is maybe fortunate that the lad wasn't injured, he continued playing OK. If he'd been seriously hurt, even worse.

On the upside, we scored nine (9) tries against Wakefield on Easter Monday,, including some belters.

We have a young lad waiting to take Powell's place; he would have probably got his chance soon anyway, but it's enforced now. Saints decided to take the hit and fielded a team of kids. Looks like Leeds are getting Zak Hardaker back, who we've just sacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win for us tonight, tanking Warrington (and George Williams!) 22-40 on their own patch, and actually more comprehensive than it looks, we put the cue in the rack with an eye on the Cup semi-final against Saints next weekend, and they scored a couple of late consolation tries. Our attack this year is out of sight compared to last season. As someone said about one of our scores, that's exactly the kind of try they purr over in the NRL. Which, obviously, is exactly what we want!

The Cup semi-finals tomorrow afternoon are live on the BBC. Will they be shown in Australia? Wigan/Saints kicks off at 2.30, that's 11.30 in Sydney I think.

So proud of my team after a terrific win over Saints to take us to the Challenge Cup Final.

Tommy is in the squad for the CCF tomorrow! Big surprise. I am off to bed, have to get up early for the coach tomorrow.

And Tommy lifts the Challenge Cup! :D

So pleased for him. Not a great match by any means, but a fitting swansong to a great servant to the game.

It's a fabulous stadium, probably the best in the country. It should be, as it's the newest.

James Roby: 455 SL games (beating Kevin Sinfield's record, and scoring a try!) and 501 games for St Helens altogether, plus 38 for England and GB. An amazing achievement from a truly world-class player.

When your team wins 60-0, and Bevan French scores seven tries, a record in the Superleague era, well, it doesn't get much better than that, whatever you say about the opposition (who were very good in the Hull derby last week at Magic), it's the execution. You don't see moments like that in sport every five minutes. That record has stood since Lesley Vainikolo (remember him?)

They ought to be offered the same opportunity that Catalans were, and given a few seasons to settle. If you're serious about wanting another French team in SL, then give them a fair chance.

Given that result against Leeds, how do they then go and thrash Wigan?

Undercooked in all departments. But if one big win doesn't define a season, then neither does one one big loss. I trust our coach to get it right. Anyway, we are right in the mix, and have scored more points than anyone else this season, so most Wigan fans are very happy with the up-turn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back