Switch Super Mario Maker 2

May 17, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs, Pacers
Anyone still playing this? I have never really played mario in general (aside from sm64) but have been watching ryukahr on youtube for ages and he's got me hooked. Went out and bought SMM2 on the weekend.

I'm really battling with the controls though lol complete noob.

Tried searching online for some basic tutorials but most seem to be about making courses rather than just being able to do basic jumps etc.

Is most of it assumed knowledge from other mario games?

And idk why, but i'm finding the control layout pretty awkward too. Mario sprinting and jumping has my fingers in knots, surely can't be doing it right.

Anyone still playing this? I have never really played mario in general (aside from sm64) but have been watching ryukahr on youtube for ages and he's got me hooked. Went out and bought SMM2 on the weekend.

I'm really battling with the controls though lol complete noob.

Tried searching online for some basic tutorials but most seem to be about making courses rather than just being able to do basic jumps etc.

Is most of it assumed knowledge from other mario games?

And idk why, but i'm finding the control layout pretty awkward too. Mario sprinting and jumping has my fingers in knots, surely can't be doing it right.
I watch him as well, don’t judge yourself after watching him play though, way too good.
What controller are you using? I’ve not had that trouble at all, unless maybe you’ve got some weird custom control setting on?

May 17, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs, Pacers
I watch him as well, don’t judge yourself after watching him play though, way too good.
What controller are you using? I’ve not had that trouble at all, unless maybe you’ve got some weird custom control setting on?
Nah haven't been haha he's a freak, he just makes it look really enjoyable to play. I'd be happy surfing through easy and normal levels.

I don't have a pro controller or anything, just been playing handheld, and then using the joycon controller they give you with the switch when docked.

Is it worthwhile getting the pro controller or even the classic retro ones with better dpad?

I'm sure it'll get easier the more I play, just haven't seen a walkthrough tutorial ingame. Imagine if I search for "basics" or "beginner" on course world I could find some tutorial style levels?

Nah haven't been haha he's a freak, he just makes it look really enjoyable to play. I'd be happy surfing through easy and normal levels.

I don't have a pro controller or anything, just been playing handheld, and then using the joycon controller they give you with the switch when docked.

Is it worthwhile getting the pro controller or even the classic retro ones with better dpad?

I'm sure it'll get easier the more I play, just haven't seen a walkthrough tutorial ingame. Imagine if I search for "basics" or "beginner" on course world I could find some tutorial style levels?
I got the GameCube controller and instantly found it easier, I can beat some of the really low clear rate levels, but take a while to do it as long as no shell jumps required.

Play through the story to get a better handle on the mechanics.

bixente

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I play it occasionally but I have more fun watching guys like Ryukahr and Carl Sagan on YouTube play it.

I'd play it more if the multiplayer wasn't so horrendously laggy.

Aug 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I like watching that dude Aurateur play it because he somehow puts up with all the garbage in Super Expert without skipping any of it.. I admire the dedication.

May 17, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs, Pacers
Worked out controls. Was literally just me being a n00b at the game. Found it really difficult to wrap my fingers and head around dashing and jumping and spinning and blah blah all at once. Still a n00b but enjoying it a lot.

Going through GrandPOOBear's training levels now. Was so happy the first time I did a shell jump haha didn't think it would be so difficult. Can zoom through most of them now but stuck on the double shell jump part, cannot get my head and hands to do it.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
These updates feel like they should have been added way back in the first game

There are great levels as always.

And horrible levels as always.

I mean there are searchable filters, ratings and manual level codes if someone really doesn’t like the random chance of a troll level in a mode like endless. (they can skip anyway)

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
I got this from my gf months ago and have just tried to make a halfway decent level with the new update (I made one other attempt that was a steaming pile for shits and giggles at the start of the year) - anyone keen to add to the whopping total of two (2!) people who have played it and failed to clear it, knock yourselves out: B35-BHR-H2G.

Watching that Ryu dude pull off the craziest precision levels is pretty fun...I wonder how many people have started watching him and others since the pandemic?

I got this from my gf months ago and have just tried to make a halfway decent level with the new update (I made one other attempt that was a steaming pile for shits and giggles at the start of the year) - anyone keen to add to the whopping total of two (2!) people who have played it and failed to clear it, knock yourselves out: B35-BHR-H2G.

Watching that Ryu dude pull off the craziest precision levels is pretty fun...I wonder how many people have started watching him and others since the pandemic?
What a world we live in that people like him are actually professional Mario players.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And Ninji Speedruns have come to an end. Last one ended midday today. Managed to get a gold medal for my time on it.

That has to be some kind of world record surely? (For uploaded/player created content for a game)

Good effort considering Nintendo has given the absolute bare minimum support

Back