Super Smash T20 2023/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow that's promising to hear as far as NZ cricket goes.
The key difference is the Big Bash has more money in it. Hence, you see better imports in the BBL than the NZ Super Smash. But in terms of domestic players for each league, id reckon if you took out the non-test Australian players and put them up against NZs best XI or dare I say 2nd best XI- there wouldnt be too much in it I feel.

The key difference is the Big Bash has more money in it. Hence, you see better imports in the BBL than the NZ Super Smash. But in terms of domestic players for each league, id reckon if you took out the non-test Australian players and put them up against NZs best XI or dare I say 2nd best XI- there wouldnt be too much in it I feel.
So the NZ national picked players are in the super smash? I like the name. Yeah the shame is where do they get the money for imports.

So the NZ national picked players are in the super smash? I like the name. Yeah the shame is where do they get the money for imports.
I think the New Zealand Super smash doesnt have as much money involved compared to the Big Bash.

Big Bash League has around a $3 million salary cap per team. Hence, why you see players like Colin Munro and Jimmy Neesham currently not playing in their home leagues.

I think the New Zealand Super smash doesnt have as much money involved compared to the Big Bash.

Big Bash League has around a $3 million salary cap per team. Hence, why you see players like Colin Munro and Jimmy Neesham currently not playing in their home leagues.
It would be nice if one-day they could have enough money to have their own players stay home and play SS. If the Calendar wasn't such a squeeze it would be good to see some bigger name Aussies involved in the Super Smash in the future. Pushing it back a few weeks maybe? Not that it's of any concern to Cricket Australia so it's a no but just thinking out loud the best way to improve the quality and longevity of super smash.

It would be nice if one-day they could have enough money to have their own players stay home and play SS. If the Calendar wasn't such a squeeze it would be good to see some bigger name Aussies involved in the Super Smash in the future. Pushing it back a few weeks maybe? Not that it's of any concern to Cricket Australia so it's a no but just thinking out loud the best way to improve the quality and longevity of super smash.
In the Womens Super Smash, which goes on concurrently with the Mens, they do have Aussie players playing in it: Penna, Molineux , Linsey Smith the names I can rack off my head.

And from memory Melbourne Stars did play a few warm ups against the Super Smash sides before the start of the proper BBL season.

I had a big last night just woke up to see Otago post 138/10 against Auckland at Eden Park.

J McKenzie who more into rugby than the cricket picked up 3 wickets for Auckland. Cricket will be hoping they can retain him than losing him to rugby. Bowled well.
Jock became the first person to debut for Auckland in Cricket and Rugby in the same season since 1956. An increasingly rare thing, players playing both codes to a decent level.

Jock actually played in the annual Black Clash (a T20 game between rugby and cricket players) last year and looked handy. This year's game is on Saturday, not sure if you can watch in Aussie, but the standard's not bad. Some of the rugby guys (Kieran Read, Will Jordan) were very good junior players.

Unfortunately in NZ players with the choice will play rugby as they are much more likely to make better money, so I expect Jock will focus on his rugby long term.

This board tears me to pieces when I says I'd rather watch the SuperSmash over the BBL, the competition doesn't try to be be something that it's not.

The SuperSmash this season has has had players like Finn Allen, Martin Guptill, Mark Chapman, Lockie Ferguson, Jimmy Neesham, Glenn Phillips, Mitch Santner, Tim Southee, Logan van Beek all play this season. Which is a good sign.

In the Women's division, ND signed Chamari Athapaththu, Sri Lanka's captain, which was pretty big news for the WSS

Game 24:

Wellington (Playing XI): Rachin Ravindra, Nick Greenwood, Nick Kelly(c), Muhammad Abbas, Michael Bracewell, Jesse Tashkoff, Callum McLachlan(w), Nathan Smith, Logan van Beek, Peter Younghusband, Ian McPeake

Northern Knights (Playing XI): Henry Cooper, Katene Clarke, Jeet Raval(c), Joe Carter, Brett Hampton, Peter Bocock(w), Scott Kuggeleijn, Tim Pringle, Kristian Clarke, Frederick Walker, Matthew Fisher

Northern Knights have won the toss and have opted to field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some low scores this season, spicy pitches plus typical NZ weather?
The general trend with T20 tournaments around the world is, scoring gets harder as the tournament goes on. Im gathering that curators have less time to prepare wickets, some wickets are generally more two-paced. Todays conditions did seem overcast.

I mean the same venue today, Wellington posted a score of 234 runs batting 1st in one of the earlier games in the season, Today they made 102 batting first.

Last edited:
Game 25:

Teams:

Central Districts
(Playing XI): Jack Boyle, Curtis Heaphy, Dane Cleaver(w), Tom Bruce(c), William Clark, Doug Bracewell, Bevan Small, Joey Field, Ajaz Patel, Blair Tickner, Jayden Lennox

Auckland (Playing XI): George Worker, Sean Solia, Cole Briggs, Robert ODonnell(c), Cam Fletcher(w), William O Donnell, Ryan Harrison, Jock McKenzie, Danru Ferns, Louis Delport, Ben Lister

Auckland have won the toss and have opted to field

Game 26:

Canterbury (Playing XI): Chad Bowes, Tom Latham, Henry Nicholls, Cole McConchie(c), Mitchell Hay(w), Michael Rippon, Bevon Jacobs, Zakary Foulkes, Angus McKenzie, Michael Rae, William ORourke

Northern Knights (Playing XI): Henry Cooper, Katene Clarke, Jeet Raval(c), Flynn Sumpter, Brett Hampton, Peter Bocock(w), Scott Kuggeleijn, Tim Pringle, Kristian Clarke, Frederick Walker, Neil Wagner

Northern Knights have won the toss and have opted to field

Its lose or go home for Northern Brave today. Need to win their last 3 to keep their faint finals hopes alive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back