Mod. Notice Supercoach Hints and Tips

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BigFooty is looking at creating a Hints and Tips article for players of Supercoach and to promote the BigFooty community. We're looking for suggestions from all the uber-smart Supercoachers on this board to help us create such a document. The end game would be something similar to this: http://www.wikihow.com/Win-Your-Fantasy-Football-League

Please feel free to post suggestions or advice here that you think would be useful hints and tips for people learning the game, or even for people that have been playing for ages and would like to improve their skills.

This is a serious thread, please refrain from off-topic comments, banter or ridicule. Any such posts will be deleted.

One piece of advice that seems to have treated me pretty well ->

Don't get sucked into (a bunch of) mid pricers. Mid-pricers = Mid-table team.

There is less opportunity to make a profit on them at any stage and they are priced where they are because they don't score big. This "rule" applies to 90% of players the exception being youngsters (e.g.Caddy) or those formerly injured (Daisy).

My number one rule.

You must ALWAYS have at least one super-elite player.

Double points for captains is an integral part of winning scores, so you want to ensure it's on one of the highest scorers. Think Ablett, Pendles, Swan etc.

Don't get sucked into mid pricers. Mid-pricers = Mid-table team.

There is less opportunity to make a profit on them at any stage and they are priced where they are because they don't score big. This "rule" applies to 90% of players the exception being youngsters (e.g.Caddy) or those formerly injured (Daisy).

Disagree... Selecting the right mid-pricer is incredible. Just got to get the right one.

Disagree... Selecting the right mid-pricer is incredible. Just got to get the right one.

Can you give me an example who wasn't either a youngster or player coming back from an injury. Also there is a gulf of difference between having the odd mid pricer and a team full of them.

Can you give me an example who wasn't either a youngster or player coming back from an injury. Also there is a gulf of difference between having the odd mid pricer and a team full of them.

I never said anything about selecting a whole team of them :| 1 or 2 max.

What? The good mid pricers are the ones coming back from injury....

ps. Nice edit after i quoted u.

I never said anything about selecting a whole team of them :| 1 or 2 max.

What? The good mid pricers are the ones coming back from injury....

ps. Nice edit after i quoted u.

I added three words (a bunch of) to my original to my original post. The caveat of youngsters or injured was there to begin with.

Don't get sucked into (a bunch of) mid pricers. Mid-pricers = Mid-table team.

I have to disagree here also.

Guns N Rookies in my opinion is a safe and proven method to consistently finish in the top 1% of SC year in year out. Whether this method wins it or not I'm not sold either way. In fact I'd lean to ensuring you have the right mid-pricers, and I emphasise right mid-pricers to actually win it.

The GnR method allows for maximum premium scoring early in the season and as long as the right rookies are selected maximum cash flow, what can go wrong you say!

Too many newbies look at the previous season scores and select "Premiums" based on a break out year, when if you look closer you could select a proven consistent premium scorer over a number of years. If you look at this year a few classic examples IMO about risky premium selections include Libba, Steven and even Griffen.

Generating cash and converting this into good trading is where you win the game. If your rookies aren't funding yr upgrades you'll fall behind the pack quickly from round 6 onwards. Playing games isn't nearly enough for yr cash cows they need to be scoring well to provide cash and/or coverage throughout the year. Trades are gold but like gold they need to be sold when the time is right. If you missed a rookie early don't be too proud to say I screwed up...I missed Zorko in his debut season and he cost me big time, and I still remember it so it must've been a fubar!

Listen to ya mates but don't! This is a big thing for me and sounds crazy but if your in a solid group/league take into account what other people say. At the same time be able to interpret good info and bad info. Trust your gut because at the end of the day it's alright to fail on yr own decision but hurts twice as bad if you fail on someone else's.

The games changing every year and then so does SC. Keep up with rule changes as these can make a difference as we saw a couple of years ago regarding efficiency on hard ball get. This year is no different with the change to the interchange cap.

Learn to use all of the mediums available to us all. Plenty of websites, Twitter, Facebook etc around but learn to realise that some of these are there to make a buck or build the likes/friends for whatever reason.....hello Paige! I'm a lurking liking across many websites and forums and whilst I don't post much outside SCE, I do like to watch!

You could go on for hours but the one thing that I've learned this year is that it's just a game. I've been close, I've been involved with guys who have won it but at the end of the day it's not worth losing friends over.

Enjoy the game, don't be proud and always remember there's always someone better than you out there.....looking at you Blue bloods!

I disagree with your post ;) But I think between the two of us we've given the n00bs plenty to think about. :thumbsu: Also people need to read my first post a bit more carefully "One piece of advice that seems to have treated me pretty well ->"

As regards the websites I think one big thing to be aware of with the G&R strategy is the break-evens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree with your post ;) But I think between the two of us we've given the n00bs plenty to think about. :thumbsu: Also people need to read my first post a bit more carefully "One piece of advice that seems to have treated me pretty well ->"

As regards the websites I think one big thing to be aware of with the G&R strategy is the break-evens.
And yes you're right, read others posts carefully!

Try avoiding trades within the first 3 rds, especially your so called 'premiums'.Even if they r looking like shite & are gonna take a massive hit in price.
Shot myself in the foot doing this many a time only to get them back into my team nearing the end of the season. Not only that you will rue the waste of trade & that 1 week he scores big that could've helped you win the game.
Only trade within the first 3 rds if you have gotten your rookies wrong

Try avoiding trades within the first 3 rds, especially your so called 'premiums'.Even if they r looking like shite & are gonna take a massive hit in price.
Shot myself in the foot doing this many a time only to get them back into my team nearing the end of the season. Not only that you will rue the waste of trade & that 1 week he scores big that could've helped you win the game.
Only trade within the first 3 rds if you have gotten your rookies wrong
At the same time if you see mistakes regardless if these are premiums or rookies it's best to change earlier rather than later. I'm certainly not worried about burning 2-3 trades in the first 3 rounds to fix problems.

Like I said....don't be too proud.

It's being able to realise the mistake that separates good coaches from bad...a simple positional change picked up early can save big coin.

Also you need to be able to project yr trading strategy.....going a week early sometimes benefits the grander plan.

To make sure you have trades left for finals.

Something I've struggled with the last couple of years. :oops:

The most sound of all advice.
Having 2 trades left for the last 2 rounds propelled me from 600+ to 380 in the final overall standings when a lot of people were struggling with backline issues.

Get rid of your team bias. You're a Port supporter, and absolutely hate Danger? Put him in anyway. You're a Pies supporter, and looking for that guy priced between 300-350K for your mids? Get Daisy. Don't pick that guy that has a slim chance to break out, because you love him in your actual team that you follow.

Don't let your team bias, and hatred of other teams, affect your SC decisions.

Learn to use all of the mediums available to us all. Plenty of websites, Twitter, Facebook etc around but learn to realise that some of these are there to make a buck or build the likes/friends for whatever reason.....hello Paige! I'm a lurking liking across many websites and forums and whilst I don't post much outside SCE, I do like to watch!

There is an old Arab proverb which says that "When you go shopping for wisdom, visit every tent in the bazaar."

Don't overspend in any one area, as strong as it will look it will leave plenty of gaps in the others, look for an even spread especially across fwd/back/mid think 1-2 of the best premos on each line Bartel/Mcveigh or Ablett/Pendles or Danger/Dusty these sorts of combos don't really damage scoring because all the picks are midfielders so they should score like a midfielder. After these 2 premos consider another 1 almost premo Hanley/Rockliff/Franklin. Next is the bit that most people get wrong, mid pricers I would go with tops one on each line eg Suckling/Thomas/Walker. Then finally the rookies, try and stack the mid with these because they will give you the most money and the best job security any of Martin/Polec/Beams/Michie/Ellis/Sheed/Dunstan/Morabito/O'Rourke/Crouch/Taylor/Garlett/Aish/Salem will do well for you but there will be one or two that will be this year's Ollie Wines, picking those two is the challenge.

That is all I will say for now

Get rid of your team bias. You're a Port supporter, and absolutely hate Danger? Put him in anyway. You're a Pies supporter, and looking for that guy priced between 300-350K for your mids? Get Daisy. Don't pick that guy that has a slim chance to break out, because you love him in your actual team that you follow.

Don't let your team bias, and hatred of other teams, affect your SC decisions.
This ^^
Probably the best point so far. Team bias is a huge factor which people always get screwed over by. That is not to say don't pick players from your team, as generally you will actually have a better knowledge of them than others and might pick up a POD that others have not considered. So basically be careful when it comes to selecting from your own side.

Plan for the bye's, if you are going for overall make sure that you are not going to be overly effected in any one round.

If you only care about league win, it might be worth setting your team up to tank a bye round. This is done by having a large number of players in your team that have the bye in the same round.

Mid price players should be put in team only if you think they can become a keeper. Most years the best mid priced player will only become a D6/M8 POD so one per line max. otherwise they won't make money and will burn trades for firstly cash and then picking your keeper.

Don't be afraid to pay extra on a line if there are no rookies available, most years you can compensate on another. Be sure to work this out before before you start.

POD's are very important but don't pick too many there's a reason people don't pick them. You are often left out dropping games where they score below average.

Games played can sometimes be more important than season average.

Don't go DPP crazy, sacrificing points/cash generation for DP's is a no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mid price players should be put in team only if you think they can become a keeper. Most years the best mid priced player will only become a D6/M8 POD so one per line max. otherwise they won't make money and will burn trades for firstly cash and then picking your keeper.

Don't be afraid to pay extra on a line if there are no rookies available, most years you can compensate on another. Be sure to work this out before before you start.

POD's are very important but don't pick too many there's a reason people don't pick them. You are often left out dropping games where they score below average.

Games played can sometimes be more important than season average.

Don't go DPP crazy, sacrificing points/cash generation for DP's is a no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Not sold on the only pick a mid pricer if theyll b a keeper and the one per line rule. Daisy, beams MMurphy could all be mids.

Games about points and generating money for upgrades when required.

Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back