Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
Let's get ready to rumble!

8 world class heavy weight boxers all on the one card. 4 x 3 minute elimination and knock out rounds. All on the one day/event. Kind of a winner take all format.

Coming to Melbourne (Rod Laver Arena) later this year. 6 of the 8 boxers already signed on and announced.

Check out the website.

www.superfighter.tv

Compulsory viewing for all fans of 'blood sports'.:thumbsu:

I find boxing a bit boring now that I've discovered MMA. But if this gets off the ground and is a success, I'll give it a look.

Deej said:
I find boxing a bit boring now that I've discovered MMA. But if this gets off the ground and is a success, I'll give it a look.

Like you, now that i've been watching MMA for a number of years, boxing is a little boring, however if they sign the right people, i'll purchase get tickets and go.

thehoff said:
Like you, now that i've been watching MMA for a number of years, boxing is a little boring, however if they sign the right people, i'll purchase get tickets and go.

Official launch was today...

Champs line up for Dome boxing
October 17, 2006 - 2:00PM

Four past or present world champions have been named in the eight-man field for December's one-day Superfighter Heavyweight Boxing Tournament at Melbourne's Telstra Dome.

The field includes former heavyweight world champions Chris Byrd, and Oliver McCall, former cruiserweight champion Juan Carlos Gomez and current unified cruiserweight title holder O'Neill Bell.

Rising heavyweight stars Calvin Brock and Samuel Peter, former world title contender Jameel McCline, and two-metre plus giant Tye Fields complete the field.

The elimination format for the tournament will see the winner come through three fights in a tournament comprised of seven bouts over four three-minute rounds.

Former undisputed heavyweight world champion Lennox Lewis says he thinks No.1 IBF contender Brock could start the favourite.

The winner of the event, which will be completed in four hours, will earn $US5 million ($A6.65 million) dollars.

A new scoring system will be in use for the competition with the emphasis on rewarding effective aggressive fighting.

The competition, which is the brainchild of Australian entrepreneur Stephen Duval, will be shown on pay television in Australia and also live in the United States .

The total prize pool is $US6.5 million ($A8.64 million).

Duval said he planned to stage Superfighter tournaments in four different divisions in 2007, and wants it to expand to eight divisions the following year.

AAP

Well, i purchased tickets and will be going to this event....

The people associated are not too appealing but its a once in a lifetime Melbourne thing so i thought, why not?

I just cant wait for the day that MMA (UFC or Pride) come to the dome.

Hey, isnt Oliver McCall the fighter who had a nervous breakdown in the ring and just refused to fight?? I thought that would have been the end of him but I guess he bounced back?

thehoff said:
Well, i purchased tickets and will be going to this event....

The people associated are not too appealing but its a once in a lifetime Melbourne thing so i thought, why not?

I just cant wait for the day that MMA (UFC or Pride) come to the dome.

Apparently the promoters could have had a couple of bigger names on the card (namely Tyson & Holyfield), but they made the right call by snubbing them. Would've been a bit of a sideshow with them involved.

At least this way, we have current fighters at or near the top of their game putting on some fair dinkum scraps.

Looking forward to when they put on a similar event in the lighter divisions. (Could be a chance for Kostya to have a send off and one final big payday at home)

It'll get refunded through ticketmaster or tek direct into your credit card. I was suss on it when i saw the seating arrangements in TD, should've been scheduled for rod laver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back