English Super League Superleague play-offs semi-finals and Grand Final 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

They have been the best side in the comp by a mile, but Leeds have the GF winning experience.

Try off a forward pass :rolleyes:

Agreed. And I didn't see much wrong with the disallowed obstruction either, but Cas never gave themselves a chance with the amount of ball they dropped. Of course the conditions didn't help, but Leeds played them much better. And the last-minute loss of Zak Hardaker must have been a body-blow.

I'm watching the highlights on BBC now, and they said on there that Hardaker will not be in the England WC squad. Which is tough, because he's been easily the best full-back in the comp this season.

Agreed. And I didn't see much wrong with the disallowed obstruction either, but Cas never gave themselves a chance with the amount of ball they dropped. Of course the conditions didn't help, but Leeds played them much better. And the last-minute loss of Zak Hardaker must have been a body-blow.

I'm watching the highlights on BBC now, and they said on there that Hardaker will not be in the England WC squad. Which is tough, because he's been easily the best full-back in the comp this season.

Hardaker tested positive for cocaine after a match against Leeds in early September. Explains why he missed the Grand Final and won't be picked for the World Cup. Faces a 2 year ban

We all expected as much, but at the time of my last post, there'd been no official announcement.

Are we about to see history made?

Toronto beat Leeds this morning 17-16 to sit in 3rd place in the promotion/relegation group. HKR v Widnes tomorrow morning to decide who gets the automatic promotion spot (I think that's how it works) Toronto have a 13 point advantage, but that might not be enough. moto748 Is this how it works? then 4 v 5 to decide the final spot?

I didn't know the Leeds result and am surprised by it, but yeah, 4 plays 5 in the so-called Million Pound Game. I'm not sorry we're putting that nonsense behind us next season, and going back to a simpler and saner option. Meanwhile tonight our effectively dead rubber game against Hull FC had as a curtain-raiser the U19s Grand Final, in which Wigan beat Leeds Rhinos 14-6 to complete their remarkable record, having been in 9 of the previous 11 Finals.

And on topic, we have the big game at home in the semi-final against Cas next Friday. I think, like a lot of Wigan fans, that they are our biggest obstacle towards the trophy, Our recent record against them is not good, and they have done very well to stay in contention this season without their chief play-maker Luke Gale, who is now back.

So Warrington edged past Saints in the first semifinal tonight in a close game (3-2 at half-time!), 18-13. No fairy-tale ending for Ben Barba in SL; the Sky crew who have bigging them up all season must be gutted! :D

Now we have to do the business against Cas tomorrow night to join them at Old Trafford.

Congratulations moto748 on Wigan making the Grand Final. Should be a great game

Thanks! :)

I was there last night as we put Cas to the sword. We are now the only side to have won every play-off game (and will remain the only one, as the format is changing next season). The semifinal win makes it 8 from 8, with only the GF left to achieve a perfect 9. A GF win will be fitting send-off for coach Shaun Wane and our departing players. Sam Tomkins will be a loss, but I think John Bateman will leave the biggest hole. It will be interesting to see how he goes at Canberra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most people think that a Toronto win would have been better for the sport; we've been here before with London; they play on a tiny ground not up to SL standard, and they've been there before without pulling up any trees. But they deserved their hard-fought win, and if Toronto are serious enough and good enough, they can have another crack next year. But of course then there will only be one promotion place up for grabs.

GF tickets arrived in the post today. can't wait!

Can someone explain to me why the Super League Grand Final is always being played at Old Trafford, where the in-goal area is extremely small by NRL standards. What's wrong with playing the English Super League Grand Final at Wembley Stadium?

Can someone explain to me why the Super League Grand Final is always being played at Old Trafford, where the in-goal area is extremely small by NRL standards. What's wrong with playing the English Super League Grand Final at Wembley Stadium?

I share your reservations about the Old Trafford pitch, but Old Trafford is easy to get to for most fans. Well, normally, but not yesterday when there were no trains between Wigan and Manchester (only 25 miles) because of a strike. I drove, set off early, and was door-to-door in less than 40 mins. If league was more popular in the South of England, there would be more of an argument for holding it at Wembley, but I'm content with a Northern venue for a Northern occasion. I like the Etihad (or whatever they call Man City's stadium this week) better as a stadium for league, but it is much less well served for public transport than Old Trafford, which was its own Metro (tram) station.

Think the Super League Grand Final is played at Old Trafford because the Challenge Cup is played at Wembley and the decision was made during Super League war when they moved to a Grand Final in the 90's and Wembley didn't make themselves available for it.

Good to see Wigan win as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back