Superman Returns or Man of Steel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Versus.png

Which one do you prefer? Personally, I feel that SR captured the spirit of Superman much better. I can understand the criticisms, like for example how it is stuck somewhere between being a sequel, retread and a reboot. I prefer SR's subtlety and Donner original vibe over MOS's overabundance of gloom, doom and action.

I like both soundtracks, but this just feels right for the character.

I was quite excited about Superman Returns and the idea of a sequel to the first two films, but the result was.... disappointing. At least it gave us Superman 2 the Richard Donner Cut due to the deal with the Brando estate to use his footage.

Man of Steel was boring for the first 30 minutes and didn't improve enough in the next 90 minutes or so.

Both have a muted colour and serious/dull Superman. I don't blame the actors, just the way the writers/directors have portrayed him. Joel Schumacher barely survived camping up Batman, yet they keep doing that awful stern s**t over and over again with Superman.

If SR was released today, it'd be much better received... In this contemporary CBM microcosm. Well maybe and maybe not. It would probably have a worse RT%, but it'd definitely have more fanboys defending it. SR was actually decently received by top critics.

I think if SR cut out the son story line and used Lex a bit better its could have been a pretty good movie. Its actually reasonably enjoyable as is IMO.

The stadium/airplane scene is very good and not just for the visuals which are probably dated now but also as a re-intro of the character within the plot and general audience.

Never seen Superman Returns. But I remember seeing the ads and wondering why the guy from Smallville wasn't playing Superman. Fun fact: Movie was filmed in Australia.

Watched Man of Steel once. It was not great. Although I got a kick out of recognising actors from Boardwalk Empire and Battlestar Galatica.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly, this is my favourite Superman movie out of the lot. Underrated movie.

When that woman gets turned into a cyborg..... scary s**t and still freaks me out today! Far more than any Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street sequence!

Both were garbage in their own way. I think Man of Steel was more gabage though.

Correct

It's bloody boring.

Also correct, I've told the story (here it is again lol). I saw it a handful of times at the cinema, sat through and enjoyed it. When the dvd/blu-ray came out.......... it was a struggle to sit through, had to pause it to take breaks in between because it was so bloated with NOTHING. As such compared to something like Superman 1 & 2, The Dark Knight it was not a film I'd go back and re-watch many times a year.

I actually went a few years without watching it (think it was around the time of Man of Steel's release that I finally watched it in full again), but when I did I found appreciation for what it was... and I do "like" it enough to watch it at least once a year now. i consider it a better Superman movie than Man of Steel.

Man of Steel was just god awful, had a really good start.... but it faltered and failed by the end.
I rate Superman III and IV ahead of it EASILY. I found them more enjoyable experiences.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back