Society & Culture Supermarket/shopping centre stories

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yeah, we did that a lot too.

Another thing was the grocery manager used to rip open a chocolate moose, scoop out half of it with a banana, eat it then chuck the moose out. He was a savage, we never saw him eat a conventional lunch.

Sorry to be that guy but that's one of the funniest mis-spellings I've seen lately!*

*Wayne Henwood likes this

We used to send someone with a basket to the lolly section and fill up for us. Also nicking AA batteries was great in the days of the walkman (oh hai Grandpa)

Bought a small walkman like cassette to mp3 recorder the other year that can also be used like a walkman when not connected to the pc for downloads
Still have around 150+ cassettes needing conversion

Have used the device as a walkman on afternoon walks resplendent with oversize headphones

We used to send someone with a basket to the lolly section and fill up for us. Also nicking AA batteries was great in the days of the walkman (oh hai Grandpa)
Nightfill (in the days when it was done in closed stores) was brilliant, lets just say there's a reason the nuts aren't on open display anymore.

Nightfill (in the days when it was done in closed stores) was brilliant, lets just say there's a reason the nuts aren't on open display anymore.

Yeah I did my share of nightfill around Xmas time at Kmart, good dough and way more fun with no customers around, the music would be cranked and we could wear shithouse clothes.

He scooped out a moose with his/a banana? Sounds savage indeed. Tell me more ;)

(it's mousse btw)

Well well, you’re cooking up quite a savage fantasy there, aren’t you?

It really was a banana. He would eat the whole banana but only half the MOUSSE . I never saw his wang , saw a few others there however .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to K-Mart at 2am a couple of months ago and the nuts were certainly on open display
As in you could just dip your hand straight in and scoop out a handful?

They use to have them in the fruit and veg section and you'd get rows of nuts laid out just like the onions are now.

I bought a few things last night from the supermarket. As I was leaving a guy was physically pushing his car out of the car spot in between two cars. I wasn't sure why but offered to help him give it a push.

He told me he wanted to jump start it, so let go of the handbrake and rolled down through the car park and around the corner. As he was rolling through the underground car park the car started and that's the last I saw of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That reminds me. I had to do trolley boy duties one night, no big deal. Collected them all from the car park and started pushing them towards the front doors. Was a nice little decline so didn't have to push much, unfortunately was carrying a bit too much speed and the automatic doors hadn't opened fully and BOOM, smashed the doors off their hinges. Luckily the glass didn't break but we couldn't close the store until a repair guy showed up.

Never had to be trolley boy again :thumbsu:

That reminds me. I had to do trolley boy duties one night, no big deal. Collected them all from the car park and started pushing them towards the front doors. Was a nice little decline so didn't have to push much, unfortunately was carrying a bit too much speed and the automatic doors hadn't opened fully and BOOM, smashed the doors off their hinges. Luckily the glass didn't break but we couldn't close the store until a repair guy showed up.

Never had to be trolley boy again :thumbsu:
Mate of mine would always volunteer for trolley boy duties so he could go into the park next door for a f**.

I did nightfill for a couple of years at the mighty Action Food Barn for those Perthites who remember it.

We always worked when the store was closed which was awesome and everyone had their own aisle, I mainly looked after the soft drinks and cordial aisle. Plenty of workers were pinching stuff and a mate of mine worked in the shampoo and deodorant aisle so it was always handy to get him to pinch a box of condoms or two if you had a hot date coming up.

The manager always had 94.5 on the radio so it was late night love songs every night they seemed to be the same songs played in the same order every night.

One Christmas Eve the cardboard crusher caught on fire which was a long night waiting for the fireys to rock up and sort things out.

Last edited:
I remember as a kid, Myer stores had these conveyor belts with trays of lollies going around. My brother and I used to think they were freebies so we'd just grab a few each time we walked past, I had a massive meltdown (allegedly) when the staff finally caught me. I honestly had no idea you had to pay for them.

Every now and then we used to get left a present in the nappy aisle.

Some mum would open a packet, change their baby and leave the full one on the shelf.

The best smelling things were cans of off dog food, liquified pumpkin and the drain pipes in the front of the deli display case. We used to clean then Saturday lunchtime (the days before Sunday trading) and they'd have a weeks worth of waterlogged, rotting meat in them.

I remember seeing a bloated can of dog food fall off a pallet and get jammed under the wheel of a pallet jack and explode. 1kg of liquid, putresence sprayed over anyone within 20m of it and the majority then vomiting. I don't know what that Scandanavian canned fish smells like but I'd be hard pressed in believing it smelt worse.

People are animals.

Those plastic tubs that pumpkins are transported in (pallet sized, about a metre high) are a ticking time bomb. It's never a pumpkin near the top with an obvious hole in it, it's always one right at the bottom that goes rancid.

Turkish breads are also a good one. Leave them for a day or two and some mold spots might appear on the surface. Leave them for a week or two and they turn green and purple and radiate heat metres away.

I used to work at Bunnings

One of the more weirder things ive seen is a gent who was walking to the cashier with a prodigous limp.

As he got closer, I could see he had shoved the 1m blue stormwater pipe down the side of his trackies next to his hips.

He paid for the other thing he bought so i enquired about the stormwater pipe - his response " its not a stormwater pipe, i just have a large c*ck and walked off.

I didnt chase after him.

People are animals.

Those plastic tubs that pumpkins are transported in (pallet sized, about a metre high) are a ticking time bomb. It's never a pumpkin near the top with an obvious hole in it, it's always one right at the bottom that goes rancid.

Turkish breads are also a good one. Leave them for a day or two and some mold spots might appear on the surface. Leave them for a week or two and they turn green and purple and radiate heat metres away.

We were unloading a pallet of cans of coke from a truck one day and the side of the pallet contacted the brick wall as it was being wheeled off. A can in a slab about halfway down was punctured and started spraying coke everywhere. I pulled the slab out and put it into a plastic tub and put it in a small ante room and forgot about it. Two weeks later I remembered it and went to see if it was still there, it was. The coke from the punctured can had eaten through the seam in another can and so on, every single can's seam had been eaten through and all 24 cans were empty sitting in a pool of flat coke.

Who remembers the Australia's Choice products and their soft drink vending machines from Kmart?

Didn't realize they weren't around anymore. Who remembers when K-Mart had pretty much a full diner inside? I remember Mum would occasionally treat me to some hot chips in one of these cups.

1619815699939.png

I did nightfill for a couple of years at the mighty Action Food Barn for those Perthites who remember it.

We always worked when the store was closed which was awesome and everyone had their own aisle, I mainly looked after the soft drinks and cordial aisle. Plenty of workers were pinching stuff and a mate of mine worked in the shampoo and deodorant aisle so it was always handy to get him to pinch a box of condoms or two if you had a hot date coming up.

The manager always had 94.5 on the radio so it was late night love songs every night they seemed to be the same songs played in the same order every night.

One Christmas Eve the cardboard crusher caught on fire which was a long night waiting for the fireys to rock up and sort things out.
What’s it like in a closed store aker no customers.

Who remembers the Australia's Choice products and their soft drink vending machines from Kmart?

Yes.

How about bi Lo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back