List Mgmt. Supplementary Selection Period - 2 spots available

Which player(s) should Richmond give a rookie spot to?

• Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

• Nicholas Couroupis

• Rhyan Mansell

• Joshua Green

• No player selected, save places for the 2021 MSD / 2021 ND

• One player selected and one place saved for 2021 MSD or ND

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Added a poll to the thread

West Adelaide midfielder Nicholas Couroupis, Woodville-West Torrens defender Rhyan Mansell, Canberra utility player Joshua Green and delisted Tiger Derek Eggmolesse-Smith will vie for the available places on Richmond’s playing list.

Couroupis is a hard-nosed, inside midfielder, renowned for his strong defensive work-rate, explosiveness from the contest and good aerial ability. He played reserve-grade football with West Adelaide in season 2020.

Mansell, a speedy, skilful, tough, rebounding defender, played in three consecutive senior premierships with Tasmanian club Launceston, as a 17, 18 and 19-year-old, before joining SANFL club Woodville-West Torrens this year. He had 19 disposals and took eight marks in the Eagles’ 2020 grand final victory over North Adelaide.

Green, the younger brother of rising Greater Western Sydney star midfielder Tom, and grandson of four-time Richmond premiership great, Michael Green, also was a member of the Giants academy, but was overlooked by them in the recent AFL drafts. He is a strongly-built (192cm, 87kg) player, who can be used in a variety of on-field roles, including key positions.

Eggmolesse-Smith played eight senior games for the Tigers in three seasons at the Club. He produced a superb performance across half-back this year in the Round clash with North Melbourne at Metricon Stadium that earned him two Brownlow Medal votes.

AFL clubs can utilise the Supplementary Selection Period, which runs from January 6 to March 9, to select a previously delisted player or overlooked draft hopeful to fill available spots on their rookie list.

If clubs decide not to sign players during this period, they have the option of using a pick (or picks) in the 2021 mid-season draft.
If NC is only playing twos at Westies, he's way off it IMO, so that would be a no...

Personally, I would take Green, given the liklihood of the last player taken even plays a game in the ones will be minimal IMO.
Take him for the family connection for his GF... But it certainly won't hurt for him to join, have the time of his life, get in his brothers ear... and who knows...

If NC is only playing twos at Westies, he's way off it IMO, so that would be a no...

Personally, I would take Green, given the liklihood of the last player taken even plays a game in the ones will be minimal IMO.
Take him for the family connection for his GF... But it certainly won't hurt for him to join, have the time of his life, get in his brothers ear... and who knows...
Hang on he missed 18/19 with a ****ed back , 20 first season post juniors

He is/was 18. Jack Graham and Coleman Jones at the same age were also playing twos. Its the way the system works in SA, some players skip the reserves comp entirely but most decent u18's play in the twos as opposed to spending more time at u18 level.

Hang on he missed 18/19 with a f’ed back , 20 first season post juniors
He is/was 18. Jack Graham and Coleman Jones at the same age were also playing twos. Its the way the system works in SA, some players skip the reserves comp entirely but most decent u18's play in the twos as opposed to spending more time at u18 level.
that's fair enough on both points, but, lets be honest, the SANFL two's isn't much to write home about... and given Westies were last, you would have liked him to push in for a game o two at the back end of the year...

I am more than happy to be proven wrong tho if we do take him and it works out...

I just think for the last spot on the list, it's unlikely for whoever gets picked to play, so taking Green might have better flow on effects than anything else on offer.

that's fair enough on both points, but, lets be honest, the SANFL two's isn't much to write home about... and given Westies were last, you would have liked him to push in for a game o two at the back end of the year...

I am more than happy to be proven wrong tho if we do take him and it works out...

I just think for the last spot on the list, it's unlikely for whoever gets picked to play, so taking Green might have better flow on effects than anything else on offer.
Green cv is practically blank apart from his bloodlines , that’s not enough , the two SA lads sound promising , both young too so you’d think plenty of upside

Green cv is practically blank apart from his bloodlines , that’s not enough , the two SA lads sound promising , both young too so you’d think plenty of upside
Again, I am more than happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt whoever we pick will actually play...

So the bloodlines and potential to get in his brothers ear may just be worth it... Plus he's a pretty decent size isn't he???

And I don't profess to follow or watch potential draftee's, so this is purely an opinion based selection on my behalf, not because I've seen the boys play... Which is why i am happy to be proven wrong if one of the boys turn into a jet.

Again, I am more than happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt whoever we pick will actually play...

So the bloodlines and potential to get in his brothers ear may just be worth it... Plus he's a pretty decent size isn't he???

And I don't profess to follow or watch potential draftee's, so this is purely an opinion based selection on my behalf, not because I've seen the boys play... Which is why i am happy to be proven wrong if one of the boys turn into a jet.
i wouldn't be making such BOLD claims following the success of our rookie selections, where do you want me to start

i wouldn't be making such BOLD claims following the success of our rookie selections, where do you want me to start
Our rookie selections from 5-6 years ago were amazing...
Picket came in as an Older player ready to go...

But I wonder, who from a B2B premiership side would any of these boys kick out?

Given I also reckon RCD, Ross and even Cumberland will push claims this year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going by his last game.
I think Dustys in trouble of losing his spot.
Can't play 4qtrs.

Yep that’s what I wanna see, egg is stiff , but we ve seen what he can produce and right now he’s lacking a bit of steel in his game , reports are these kids play hard tough Richmond footy
The same could have been said for Houli, Short and B Ellis at different points in their career and now they are multi premiership players.

I reckon DES can still make it, worth a spot given he already knows the system, we've got to back it in.

There's still another spot for someone else.

Our rookie selections from 5-6 years ago were amazing...
Picket came in as an Older player ready to go...

Given I also reckon RCD, Ross and even Cumberland will push claims this year...

I think this is really unsound reasoning here Hank. You seem to be arguing because any of these train on players are unlikely to unseat entrenched players from our current team that we should be adding the best connected one to the list, rather than the best footballers.

Grimes, Houli, Short, Castagna, Lambert, Soldo, Baker, Stack, Pickett, Chol, Miles, Stengle, Aarts, Petterd.

15 players of significant value or who got picked in finals teams from 37 picks after the National Draft from 2009 onwards. Even if you reduce it to just the young ones who wouldn’t be seen as ready made AFL footballers, there are 8 from probably 20 odd picks I would think. While there is any realistic chance of adding another name to that list do you really want to be considering things like family connections?

But if that is not enough….since the 2016 draft period onwards our untried selections outside the National Draft(leaving aside Mav Weller):

Tyson Stengle - 2020 fixture in the Crows team
Liam Baker
Jake Aarts
Sydney Stack
Marlion Pickett

From where I sit that is 5 AFL level footballers from 5 picks. So we should be more than happy for the club to back its judgement on any of these guys based solely on their merits as players imo, including Green of course.

From Knightmare draft expert

Josh Green I've only seen in defence, I haven't seen him play any other spots. Very vanilla in defence and lacks a point of difference, and is more a good height/size but you ask what else he can do. He's someone I just wish could be transformed into a mid like his brother and then maybe we see if he can develop as being that bigger/stronger bodied type that's about all positionally I see any scope in him becoming. Inside mid is his best hope, but until he shows he's a good one, he's someone who has to go back to the state leagues to prove himself to be realistic.
From Knightmare draft arseclown more like it. Green played most of 2020 season in midfield, can go forward to create mismatch as third tall and kick goals or go back. Taller than 192 now and reads the play. Not an accumulator like his brother but taller and stronger overhead. :cool:o_O:D

Back