Moved Thread Supplements saga takes the Bombers closer to a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just been very good list management by Dodoro and team in difficult circumstances.

Goddard and Leuenberger for free through free agency

Trade Melksham, Crameri and Hibberd for second round picks

Traded Ryder for a first and second round pick

Traded Carlisle for a top 5 pick

Traded pick 77 for James Stewart

Got Green, Kelly and Dea for nothing as DFAs

Pulled Tipungwuti, Ambrose, McKenna and Baguley out of nowhere

Great later round drafting with Merrett, Gleeson, Fantasia, Hartley

Retained Watson, Hooker, Hurley, Heppell and Colyer when the club had supposedly destroyed their careers and lives.

The free kicks were Daniher (father son, first round pick) and McGrath. Still, McGrath wasn't a pick 1 lock... plenty were keen on McCluggage. So a good pick so far.

Dodoro has been nothing but net for a long time now. Not that anybody will ever give him any credit, despite being in a very tough situation not of his own doing.

Begley looks very fit, just not AFL ready
Francis could do with the help though :) we'll fly him over in Little's jet. :)

Oi we'll sling you a slab of your choice if you can take Jack Graham with him over summer. Contested ball winning beast at junior level...just needs to learn how to cover the ground.

Last edited:
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. They've done a lot right from a footballing management standpoint. Offsets the fck ups around the handling of the drugs saga.
we get weekly updates from Justin Crow, who handles the fitness and injury management. And i must admit he runs a tight ship.
Individual programs for training and injury management. Weighted risk management. training loads, etc.

Its a stark difference to the days of soft tissues every week, no idea when players were returning

The recruiting is only one side of a club that has quickly turned around a lot of problem areas that could have crippled us

It's amazing because our punishments totally ruined the club and the AFL knew they would as we were on the down and desperately in need of young talent.

Essendon's in comparison merely left them with a first pick they never would have received otherwise because when they've got a full list they're miles off being the worst team. Absolute farce.
Crying because your club broke down after the scandal and we came out strong? I thought we were s**t in 2015 therefore we're s**t now? Right?

Carlton supporters are the last to talk about anything to do with being handed out picks. Your club tanked and received priority picks. Went the "woe is me" route after you got done for cheating the salary cap. I mean, pick 1 was handed to you in 2007 over the team that deserved it in Richmond. You got a priority pick in 2005 as well. The AFL gave you everything for you to succeed and get you back after the scandal.

We never got a priority pick. If you want to talk about being handed pick 1 after a scandal, look in your own backyard.

Spare me the tears. You're just mad that we aren't a basket case like your club was and like you expected us to be.

McGrath isn't the reason we are in a strong position. It's our solid drafting.

Wait, what? How in any way shape or form has Begley promised to be better than Hibberd? The latter is in AA form

Hibberd has always threatened to be AA, never gotten it.
Really happy that we got Begley, also happy that Hibberd went to a decent team with people he knows, all Essendon fans still love Pig.
Francis is a tall, he's going to take longer than Oliver and Parish to come on.

Oh Juddy.

So if I have this recipe right. When you're leading up to your time on the clock, you just do something against the laws of the game and lose a handful of players, put your players, members and supporters through hell then build up against a few years later to the same place you were in 2012. So it's basically a good way to just run your club in to the ground and lose 5 years as you're entering your window. Cunning plan Bombers! Well spotted Judd.

Ryder was not because of the saga, but made it easy for him to break his contract. Saga or not, he was leaving and picking Port Adelaide put us in a tough negotiating stand. Had we not spent 37 on Cooney unnecessarily, it could have turned out to being Langford & either Lonie/Daniel/Neal-Bullenn/M.McGovern.

Yep, he had no choice but to go, guy needs to learn how to keep it in his pants. The other players got to a point where they would no longer tolerate him on the team. This meant that Port could deal with us how they wished as he was being traded or walking.

Oh Juddy.

So if I have this recipe right. When you're leading up to your time on the clock, you just do something against the laws of the game and lose a handful of players, put your players, members and supporters through hell then build up against a few years later to the same place you were in 2012. So it's basically a good way to just run your club in to the ground and lose 5 years as you're entering your window. Cunning plan Bombers! Well spotted Judd.
i think we've benefited from it while also requiring a lot of resilience from the supporters.
Not an ideal situation but it did allow us a mini-rebuild under the cover of it all.

It's amazing because our punishments totally ruined the club and the AFL knew they would as we were on the down and desperately in need of young talent.

Essendon's in comparison merely left them with a first pick they never would have received otherwise because when they've got a full list they're miles off being the worst team. Absolute farce.
You think carlton haven't had enough #1 picks? I'd be happy for them to have several more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The physiology of the players has been irreversibly and permanently altered by the program.
I agree 100%

Especially with Daniher who we did outside of AFL House knowing about so he didn't get suspended.

It's a good article. Not in the sense that you have to agree with all of it, but it provides some interesting talking points and the logic isn't a mile off. It also won't look so silly a view if Essendon progress far into September.

In a year where we received draft sanctions, we still managed to pluck Merrett and Fantasia out of the draft pool. Dodoro has been killing it at the draft in recent years and has set up our future beautifully.

Our only real draft "advantage" was McGrath, and let me just say that it's going to be awesome drinking the salty tears of opposition supporters over that one for years to come.

We were stripped of them when we were the worst team in the league and in need of young talent.

That 2009-2011 team looks far different with Goddard and Wells there.

And then got 3 number 1 picks in Gibbs,Murphy,Kruezer plus getting Judd at the time who was the best player of the competition at the time don't think Carlton fans have a right to complain.

thought the topic was along these lines. not sure what Juddy is thinking.

Drug cheats in sport could benefit 'for decades', scientists find

Convicted dope cheats such as sprinter Justin Gatlin could still be benefiting from having taken banned substances long after their bans have expired.

Research by University of Oslo scientists has established that muscles can retain the advantages given by anabolic steroids decades after the point at which they were taken.

The data casts another shadow over once-banned athletes such as controversial US athlete Gatlin, Tyson Gay - the second fastest man in history - and Britain's Dwain Chambers.

This summer, 32-year-old Gatlin ran the fastest ever 100m and 200m times by a man in his thirties despite twice having served suspensions.

contd.. http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/29510575

12(?) months of piddly little peptide injections (that you or I could legally buy and have delivered to our doorstep) is hardly what the likes of Gatlin, Armstrong etc got up to

Our only real draft "advantage" was McGrath, and let me just say that it's going to be awesome drinking the salty tears of opposition supporters over that one for years to come.

Your number one pick is a back pocket player.

I'm pretty sure the rest of the competition will move on quickly.

We were stripped of them when we were the worst team in the league and in need of young talent.

That 2009-2011 team looks far different with Goddard and Wells there.
And we could've had Cripps and Lobb if we weren't stripped off our picks.

Better yet, we could have had Josh Kennedy or Scott Pendlebury if your club wasn't gifted a priority pick in 2005.

Our pick in 2005 went from pick 4 to pick 7 because your club, Collingwood and Hawthorn were gifted the top 3 picks on top of your original pick only because you tanked and we didn't. The next year we were genuinely s**t winning only 3 games and we still didn't get a priority pick.

You were gifted so much chances to get back so please don't make it look like you were hard done by

Perhaps, but would Essendon really be in a much different position if they had picked up Florent, Powell-Pepper or Simpkin instead of McGrath?
Last years draft was even, but i think there was a clear top 5 in McGrath, McCluggage, Taranto, SPS & Ainsworth. Maybe add Bowes too.
From pick 7-21 was pretty even from then on. Which saw a lot of teams go for needs or players they liked better than the best talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back