Moved Thread Supplements saga takes the Bombers closer to a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

It's amazing because our punishments totally ruined the club and the AFL knew they would as we were on the down and desperately in need of young talent.

Essendon's in comparison merely left them with a first pick they never would have received otherwise because when they've got a full list they're miles off being the worst team. Absolute farce.
I would say that it wasn't the punishments which ruined Carlton but the way the club responded to the punishments which has led to your years at the bottom of the table. Carlton's management was appalling then and remains questionable now. Ratts was a good coach and Bolton is a great coach. The list is promising, which you would expect given the disproportionate number of high draft picks you've had since the salary cap breaches set the club on its downward spiral.

Essendon's management of its punishment by comparison has been exceptional.

It's amazing because our punishments totally ruined the club

Actually the complete and utter failure of your administration to, ya know, administer your club is what ruined you.

I would say that it wasn't the punishments which ruined Carlton but the way the club responded to the punishments which has led to your years at the bottom of the table.
The rot that caused these list issues were there long before the salary cap penalty.

Carlton's management was appalling then and remains questionable now.
Why is it questionable now? The club is going in a good direction and is much more professionally run now.

The list is promising, which you would expect given the disproportionate number of high draft picks you've had since the salary cap breaches set the club on its downward spiral
Most of our young brigade aren't even top 10 picks. Williamson for example was picked at #61... and we were laughed at picking GWS' rejects, from the same people who kept on saying SOS has no idea just because he inherited lots of early draft picks.

Essendon's management of its punishment by comparison has been exceptional.
That's because they got good players back, were allowed to keep some of the better top-ups and had a much better list than Carlton did in 2002.

That's because they got good players back, were allowed to keep some of the better top-ups and had a much better list than Carlton did in 2002.

Kept 2, who could have gone to any club had they chosen to.

The rot that caused these list issues were there long before the salary cap penalty.

Agreed.

Why is it questionable now? The club is going in a good direction and is much more professionally run now.

Why is it?

This isn't the first time Carlton fans have been pretty confident in its youth, which by extension meant administration.

FWIW I agree with you and believe Carlton is 'better' run, however it still has the completely useless Jeanne Pratt as VP, is still making insular appointments and is still lagging badly behind its historical peers financially.

Most of our young brigade aren't even top 10 picks. Williamson for example was picked at #61... and we were laughed at picking GWS' rejects, from the same people who kept on saying SOS has no idea just because he inherited lots of early draft picks.

Won't find me saying that. Have been a fan of SOS as a list manager during and after his time at GWS.

You're just wrong here.

The AFL didn't 'let' Essendon keep its top-ups. In fact, they made a declaration that Essendon could not do so (or more correctly, made it really hard).

It was only when the AFLPA informed them that they were in breach of the CBA that they were 'forced' to give the agreed upon rights to those players.

Ha I said the same thing yesterday on our board and said something similar before this year started.
I believe clubs get too entrenched with the their best 22 and due to contracts and performance evaluations will always be tempted to play it safe. Something like what happened to Essendon and with those out of the game not requiring any rehab for injuries keeping them out of the game meant they did come back fresh.

While getting to try and exposing young players to the game was well as mature players that may have been missed. Losing Ryder was an issue the others not so much. Carlisle was excess to their needs Hooker, Hurley & him having what seemed a pretty s**t attitude. Crameri might be handy but not a huge loss.

... the pain experienced by the Essendon Football Club over the past five years...

EFC denied and fought. Wooden spoon last year.
Cronulla came clean and took their penalty. 2016 NRL Premiers.

Those first two are now over that 'several years' threshold. The rest are good players.

Laverde is flaky and unlikely to make it - Langford lacks footy IQ. I was big on him pre-draft but he's pretty middling and there's no clear position for him at this stage.

Yeah nah those first two were drafted in a year we had the draft sanctions. Totally relevant to this thread. Laverde showed enough for me that he will make it as a mid sized forward. I am hoping he eventually goes into the midfield though. Langford is versatile and has shown promise in the forward line at AFL level and recently has been developing his midfield game in the VFL and doing well.
And even in the unlikely scenario that those two players fail to make it, it still doesn't change the fact that we have drafted very well in recent times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My short answer to these points is, "what Jade said".

I also agree - and said - that the current Carlton team is well coached and the list is promising so no dispute there. The high draft picks I was referring to are Gibbs, Kreuzer, Murphy. You also got priority picks, I believe. These were significant, post-punishment advantages that, had the club been managed properly at that time, could have avoided decades of punishing losses, despondency amongst the supporter base and confidence in the brand.

There is no denying that Carlton managed its 2002 punishment extremely poorly and its woeful administration exacerbated and extended the impact of the sanctions unnecessarily. This, of course, has had a financial impact on the club which continues today. There couldn't be a greater contrast between the two clubs when reviewing the way in which each administration handled its respective crisis. On field success is totally dependent on the administrative structure that supports the team that runs out each season.

Wrong.

Essendon negotiated and accepted penalties in August 2013. Long before Cronulla did anything and before the investigation had even finished.
Essendon punishment was too harsh imo.Peptides just help your own body produce more hormones. it doesn't artificially introduce them like steroids. it was just the fact It was injected which made all the numties heads spin.

thought the topic was along these lines. not sure what Juddy is thinking.

Drug cheats in sport could benefit 'for decades', scientists find

Convicted dope cheats such as sprinter Justin Gatlin could still be benefiting from having taken banned substances long after their bans have expired.

Research by University of Oslo scientists has established that muscles can retain the advantages given by anabolic steroids decades after the point at which they were taken.

The data casts another shadow over once-banned athletes such as controversial US athlete Gatlin, Tyson Gay - the second fastest man in history - and Britain's Dwain Chambers.

This summer, 32-year-old Gatlin ran the fastest ever 100m and 200m times by a man in his thirties despite twice having served suspensions.

contd.. http://www.bbc.com/sport/athletics/29510575
that's awesome mate.

Except for one fairly important fact. There has never been any assertion or accusation made that any EFC players took anabolic steroids, so the entire article is completely and utterly irrelevant, much like the post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back