Support Small Business

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Thank you to Michaels for the thread idea and OP.

Every night the news is on and sadly it's often more reports about small local business closing, and its gutwrenching.

But not many main stream media platforms see offering help to those that still are open.

So, if you own a small business, work in a small business or know someone who owns one that is still up and running but facing hard times, we want you to give the business a plug in this thread.

You just never know who may need your services.

Business name
A bit about them and what they do / offer
Website link.

As a community we need to do everything we can to help these small businesses stay open. And this is another platform to spread the word.

As a rule a thumb we don't do advertising on BF, but Chief is right behind this, so please plug away.

Our local small-batch gin distillery has started making hand sanitiser. Brilliant idea and has seemed to make up at least in part for the dive in visitors for tastings.
Good commercial use for the methanol that comes off first

Our local small-batch gin distillery has started making hand sanitiser. Brilliant idea and has really taken off.
How do you do this? I have a still at home and thought about firing it up and giving it out to the locals in my area.

small businesses can go and get ****ed.

why should I spend money I don't really have to enhance someone else's livelihood?

I generally patronise them more than the average person but they're all so entitled.

the other week I bought some beer from a small business. paid $15 for a nice six pack that would usually be about $23. got home, cracked one, tasted pretty s**t. that's the risk of craft beer I guess. had another couple and was looking at the labelling and saw it was a whole year out of date. went online and saw the beer hasn't even been in production for 18 months! got in touch with the owner and told him I was disappointed and it was underhanded and a bit sneaky to not label it as so. his reply was "some people like cheap beer, mate." I told him I do too, quite a lot actually, but not when I'm basically being lied to about the product. if he labelled it as a year out of date, I and no one would've bought it. for five bucks maybe, definitely not 15. a couple of weeks or months past, yeah okay, but 12 months? he gave me my money back and told me he'd take it on board and remove all the stock.

two days later and the beers are back in the fridge. for 15 bucks!

I'm not going there again, why should I? I used to pay the extra couple of bucks they charged for a slab. I'll just stick to going to Dan's from now on.

when this all slows down and they start making money again, are they going to charge 5 bucks less for a burger or throw in a free chips? doubtful

small businesses can go and get f’ed.

why should I spend money I don't really have to enhance someone else's livelihood?

I generally patronise them more than the average person but they're all so entitled.

the other week I bought some beer from a small business. paid $15 for a nice six pack that would usually be about $23. got home, cracked one, tasted pretty s**t. that's the risk of craft beer I guess. had another couple and was looking at the labelling and saw it was a whole year out of date. went online and saw the beer hasn't even been in production for 18 months! got in touch with the owner and told him I was disappointed and it was underhanded and a bit sneaky to not label it as so. his reply was "some people like cheap beer, mate." I told him I do too, quite a lot actually, but not when I'm basically being lied to about the product. if he labelled it as a year out of date, I and no one would've bought it. for five bucks maybe, definitely not 15. a couple of weeks or months past, yeah okay, but 12 months? he gave me my money back and told me he'd take it on board and remove all the stock.

I'm not going there again, why should I? I used to pay the extra couple of bucks they charged for a slab. I'll just stick to going to Dan's from now on.

when this all slows down and they start making money again, are they going to charge 5 bucks less for a burger or throw in a free chips? doubtful
So because you had a bad experience with one small business it means every other small business is the same?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh wow you convinced me, * you Guseppie my local pizza shop, this dude once purchased off beer, You deserve to have your business go broke

Name and shame them here.

It's like the virus, delaying the impact.

I have a bunch of local businesses I go to. Bar, pizza shop, bakery, cafes etc. If I abandon Coles/Woolies then whenever this thing is over they'll be fine.

Say there are a dozen small businesses, they all have their own circumstances. Some might close ASAP without their normal trade, others might be able to survive on 60-70%, some might be able to close for a month or two then just reopen. If we keep patronising them, then we slow the rate of closures etc.

Our little IGA around the corner is quickly becoming the go-to. I'd rarely go there in the past; unless I needed to duck up there after work for 1-2 things to start dinner.

Now that the $300+ weekly shop is a thing of the past for us and I'm pretty much just going out for the essentials, the IGA is a lot better to avoid the crowds. Plus in my experience, they're a much better bet to not be cleaned out of some of the essentials: toilet paper, pasta, rice, even left field stuff like gloves and masks. The only thing I haven't seen yet which I would have liked is hand wash/sanitiser.

My two closest supermarkets are a Coles and an IGA. Last went to the Coles about two weeks ago and it was pumping. Empty shelves and a battle to maintain any attempt at social distancing. The IGA has never had more than half a dozen customers at once when I've been there and while it has a smaller range seems to have more of said range available. Next shop visit I might go to one of the 24h IGAs late at night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back