Supporters the game has passed by

Remove this Banner Ad

Any supporter who bleats out BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL as soon as the opposition lays a hand on the footy, regardless of whether they legally dispose of the ball or have no prior opportuinity

Come on mate that just adds to the atmosphere and can lift the team,
I do it all time.

Come on mate that just adds to the atmosphere and can lift the team,
I do it all time.

sometimes its a little embarrassing nonetheless

Any supporter who bleats out BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLL as soon as the opposition lays a hand on the footy, regardless of whether they legally dispose of the ball or have no prior opportuinity

tHE FANS ARE SCREAMING BALL , BECAUSE PLAYERS DON'T DISPOSE OF THE BALL LEGALLY , MOST SHOVE IT , THROW, SLIP IT BETWEEN THEIR LEGS IN PACKS, THE BALL DISPOSAL IS A JOKE CONSIDERING THE WAY THE BLOODY RULES ARE PERCEIVED. Every week we see tackles that are to say the least suss, yet one ump will call something the other doesn't , there are three of the bloody umps out there????
The time clock rule and the 50 metre penalty rule needs serious close looking at.
They spoil the game and the spirit its played in and because of these silly technical rubbish rules, that mean nothing , players get frustrated, and also umpires can change a whole game on its head.
I never thought they were there for anything more than calling proper free kicks.

But whats a proper free these days???

You have to have rules , but soon there'll be a university degree to understand what used to be simple.

I could do my list again , but I'M EXHAUSTED. and I hit the caps again???

The whole 'just kick it' thing... For a few years now we've watched our team go from having space to making 6-handball linkups to guys with 3 opponents - I think 'just kick it' is revolutionary.

Used to be a member in the early 2000s and we had this old geezer who would spit on us every time he spoke, and during showdowns his port mate would join him so they'd both spit on us. Don't think they ever got the game in the first place but they'd tell the ump to get ****ed every time, would call close behinds goals, tell players to "hit him", etc.

This bloke I know who is the ultimate traditionalist, told me recently that he refuses to go to any games at Etihad because it has a roof...

They might not have played indoor footy back in his old VFL days, but how long has footy been played at Docklands for now ffs?
"Back in my day, we had proper breezes and shithouse weather affecting the play. None of this cutsie, perfectly manicured grass and controlled conditions for me! Footy was so much tougher back then!"

Watching a game at the 'Gabba, Metricon or the SCG is an experience, that's for sure. The number of so called 'fans' who still have no understanding of the game is mind boggling, and some of the apparent sledges these 'fans' try and make are dead set cringe-worthy and downright embarrassing.

Sssh! You're spoiling it for the rest of us. Overheard at Football Park at a Cats v Crows game. ;)

"Kick the bloody thing!"
" BBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL"
" YOU ******* USELESS PRINCESS
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
(When we're down by 12 at 3 qtr time) We have no ******* chance now.
(Down by 40 in the 4th) We can still win this

A few classics

Was at the local footy this year near some experts, one of the players goes to switch play when Einstein next to me yells out "don't switch, thats for millionaires" his theory being that local football should be all about old style "kick it up the guts style" of play.

Anyway, play switches, ball hits the HBF, who has space to run into before hitting the CHF on the chest. CHF goes back and kicks the goal and Einstein says "oh that was just luck that it got to him".

They switched play for 6 more goals like the one above, and they won by about 10 goals.

And the flog next to me still carried on about how "its not the way to play" and how "you can't win a flag playing that way".

Flog.

This reminded me of last year when the Crows were scoring a lot of "Joe the Goose" goals by getting out the back on teams. A few Port Bigfooty supporters claimed it was "cheating" to score goals like that.

I don't know how it was cheating, but I'm guessing they subscribed to the same theory as the guy you posted about. That said, the "Joe the Goose" goals kinda dried up come finals time. :-/

Sometimes I feel like the game has passed me by when I wish the guy kicking out from a point would just go for a massive torp down the middle.

It does occasionally happen late in a game when a team needs to score quickly as time is running out. Invariably what happens is the ball is turned over and the other team easily spots up a team mate in their F50 for another shot on goal.

So I can definitely see why teams don't do it as it is a low percentage play, with a high chance of getting you scored against, yet I still wish it happened more often.

I think you have to expect many of the modern footy fans to have less knowledge of the game than 30 years ago. Two totally different sets of people went to the footy in the two different eras.
30 years ago people that went to the footy lived and breathed the game, it was engrained in them and a part of their life and how they were raised.
Over half the people that attend a game now are there purely because it is seen as a good place to go, it is a night out. They wear their scarf and team colours and want their team to win just like any other era but if the team does not win it's no big deal and the actually knowledge of the game is what they hear or see in social media.
There is still plenty of people at games that know what's going on, then there is plenty who think they know what's going on, and then there is the plenty at a nights entertainment.
I have two nephews who attend and love the Eagles, neither of them have pulled a boot on in their life and they are mid 20's. I don't mind they think they know what's going on as this is their era. But other than general chit chat I dont talk footy in detail with them because they have no idea other than what they read on social media.
Doesn't bother me as footy is entertainment now and is for everyone. They are entitled to their opinion like everyone else.

You don't necessarily have to have played football to understand it to a decent level strategically though.

Lots of things cross over quite well from other sports. For example, some of the blocking that goes on around ball-ups and throw-ins are taken from sports like basketball. Switching play from soccer. Zone defences from NFL, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I accepted years ago that as I am nearly 50 I am regarded as a dinasour and have no idea about the game.
The people telling me this have never played a game of footy in their life, never coached footy, never been in a football club. Yet as they attend AFL games and frequent AFL chat boards, listen to AFL media as gospel then they know more.
It is not worth the argument so it is just easier to say you know best. lol

Agree! In fact I think perhaps 50 percent of football spectators know stuff all, about how this game works, how this game is so difficult to play , and how some minor rule fiddling can kill it as well!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back