Supporters the game has passed by

Remove this Banner Ad

Who does your step father support ?

Its only because he sounds like a bit of a ... well im just going to type campaigner
Richmond

Can I nominate myself?

When I look at the Brisbane Lions list and see that quite a number of their players were not even born when the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy were around; that no 1990s players remain in the league; that sons of 1990s AFL players are now playing and that the young men who took to the field for the Northern Knights, Southern Stingrays, Western Jets, Eastern Ranges, Central Dragons and Geelong Falcons for the inaugural Under 18's competition in 1992 are now middle aged, it makes me feel very old.
The other give away is your use of the semi colon.

If that is the case I don't like it. I do think it should be considered prior opportunity, but like any prior opportunity you have quickly kick or hand ball, play on. How would Nic Nat kick those great goals from a ruck contest?
What do you mean great goals?

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Was at the local footy this year near some experts, one of the players goes to switch play when Einstein next to me yells out "don't switch, thats for millionaires" his theory being that local football should be all about old style "kick it up the guts style" of play.

Anyway, play switches, ball hits the HBF, who has space to run into before hitting the CHF on the chest. CHF goes back and kicks the goal and Einstein says "oh that was just luck that it got to him".

They switched play for 6 more goals like the one above, and they won by about 10 goals.

And the flog next to me still carried on about how "its not the way to play" and how "you can't win a flag playing that way".

Flog.

reads like the Port board with their 'DON PYKE IS RUINING FOOTBALL' posts with all the over the top goals Adelaide (Jenkins) kicked

Out of interest, did they?
Yeah by about 10 goals haha. Didn't see him down at the clubrooms that day.

It's funny too listening to these people talking during the under 18s/19s.
"ahh number 27 reminds me of Billy Kicksitlong from the '43 premiership team. He used to like tackling as well."

The ones that scream.

"Just kick it looooong!!!!"

I've been a member in the same seat for about 14 years now and for 12 of those years there was the same lady behind me who kept screaming that. Always followed up with the inevitable "Who was that to???" as well. Drove me nuts.

I

I thought it was considered to have prior opportunity. Which means you can be tackled and still get it away no probs. but sometimes it's just payed holding the ball as soon as they're tackled, which wouldn't be correct if they got it away properly. It's a good ruled often umpired wrong and wrongly understood or explained.

Umpiring interpretation on a tackle differs, thats the problem. Some ups you'd have to bear hug a bloke, others just a hand full of jumper or a gentle reach around will do it

reads like the Port board with their 'DON PYKE IS RUINING FOOTBALL' posts with all the over the top goals Adelaide (Jenkins) kicked

Lol what? There was a minority of posters that said that, and they were all called on it. Don Pyke done a fantastic job getting the team to play a game that was very effective.

There's plenty of other areas where frustrations about out football was directed at Adelaide's good year, but don't let like, two people represent the whole Port board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the whole gen x supporter fan base who still believe the following things:

- "kick it long" is the main tactic used in game
- players should only play one position
- players need to be big and bulky
- coaches are only there to spray and give motivational speeches

Paul Kelly was at one of the night games last year and he was put up on the big screen. Not a peep from the crowd and I heard someone behind ask (loudly) "Whos that?" the reply was " Dunno must be famous but"

Which Paul Kelly was it? The singer/songwriter or the political journo/author?

We've got them too. Scream "just kick the bloody thing" then as soon as it's a turnover "why did you kick it?"

That or "Who was that to?!"

We've got them too. Scream "just kick the bloody thing" then as soon as it's a turnover "why did you kick it?"
"Kick the ******* thing you stupid campaigner!!!" Is something heard many times at every match.
The Crows fans who scream out "BAAAALLLL" every time a opposition player has a fingernail laid on them by a tackler
The ones that scream.
"Just kick it looooong!!!!"
And their mate "WHO WAS THAT TO????"
That or "Who was that to?!"
"Kick it up the F%$#@ing GUTS!!!!"

Surely all of you cant be sitting near me at games :)

Sounds to me like some of these fans being quoted might be ex - Carlton Richmond or Melbourne coaches over the last 15yrs.

p.s. Sorry about calling you Shirley.

I accepted years ago that as I am nearly 50 I am regarded as a dinasour and have no idea about the game.
The people telling me this have never played a game of footy in their life, never coached footy, never been in a football club. Yet as they attend AFL games and frequent AFL chat boards, listen to AFL media as gospel then they know more.
It is not worth the argument so it is just easier to say you know best. lol
Years of playing/coaching footy doesn't add up to much if it occurred decades ago. That's the point of the OP, really.

You can't honestly say that someone who stopped playing/coaching 20-30 years ago and who catches the occasional game these days will be more in tune with the modern game than someone who has never played/coached but has devoured everything footy for the last 10 years.

I'm not saying you don't play or coach now/recently (maybe you do, in which case it counts for a lot). I just don't agree with the proposition that someone who has never played/coached the game will never be more knowledgable than someone who has,regardless of when the coaching/playing occurred.

Disclosure - I played from 13-20 but never coached. Am the wrong side of 30 now.

Years of playing/coaching footy doesn't add up to much if it occurred decades ago. That's the point of the OP, really.

You can't honestly say that someone who stopped playing/coaching 20-30 years ago and who catches the occasional game these days will be more in tune with the modern game than someone who has never played/coached but has devoured everything footy for the last 10 years.

I'm not saying you don't play or coach now/recently (maybe you do, in which case it counts for a lot). I just don't agree with the proposition that someone who has never played/coached the game will never be more knowledgable than someone who has,regardless of when the coaching/playing occurred.

Disclosure - I played from 13-20 but never coached. Am the wrong side of 30 now.

I agree somewhat but one that has not really ever played no matter when the era can really have a grasp for the game. My Last game I played was 2002 and I have been lucky to coach A Grade Amateur footy up until just last year. Footy has changed so much and you must adapt to stay in it. My time however is now done and the next people take it on.

There will always be exceptions but I just can't buy someone who has not played at all really understanding the game. But maybe that is just me. Lucky for me it doesn't bother me a great deal, At games you hear a lot of rubbish spoken but for me it goes in one ear and out the other.

Being a Melbourne supporter living in WA only really lets me see 2 supporter bases.

Both Freo and WC supporters are just as bad as each other calling ball when someone lays a finger on a player even though they say the other is worse.
WC supporters will challenge every single free given whether it is against them or not being given to them. As others have said, the usual kick it up the guts comes from the WC base more. Most of my mates are WC supporters and they seem to rate their chances highly for a flag every year. I just hope they don't win a flag soon. :D

Freo supporters seem nicer in general. I guess they don't have much to gloat about yet. :$

Remove this Banner Ad

Back