Supremely Stretchy Stengle Saga - what do we want on BF?

What would be a fair outcome for Stengle's offences?

• If the AFL still allows him to play, then let him play!

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • He's a regular 22 when fit and firing, and we need his skills to lift our year!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't think the 3 offences deserve him to end a footy career at a club - play on!

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Don't know, don't care

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • 3 offence is enough to make my blood boil - sack him!

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I'm an angel, he's the devil - sack him!

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • We're all devils - sack him!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It has been literally 3 months (from mid-December 2020) since Stengle has been officially stood down by the club, excluded from all club duties until a pending decision. 3 misdemeanours within 12 months has caused a significant division on both club and fans, on what should be the most appropriate penalty for this young up-and-comer. It is a unique position he's in because 2 of those misdemeanours had occurred during the off-season (end of 2020), and there has never really been a precedent set by other players for a club decision to follow suit.

And now here we are, 3 months later with the final decision yet to be made, and still ambiguous as ever!

Some club official statements in the past 1 week:

Olsen: "the club is in deep negotiations with Stengle" (negotiations on what John?)

Nicks: "Never say never" (whatever that means)

So let's assume the Saga ends, or it might never. If you were a club official, what would be your vote?

1704 posts I'm sure there's an answer to this question.

I honestly don’t understand how anyone has an opinion on other people’s lives and issues outside of footy. This kid obviously has problems and they are causing some self destructive habits. He’s hardly the first or last to have these struggles, and for me to critisize him from the outside without knowing any of his personal circumstances would just be breathtakingly arrogant.

one thing that I’m 100% confident in though is that the absolute worse thing the AFL could do for Stengle is to cut him loose. Their desicion making in this should only be on what is best for him, and banning him and sending him away would almost certainly send him down a track like Ben Cousins. It’s time for everyone to realize that the leagues 3 strike policy is only there to help the player, it is nothing to do with us supporters or any prejudices we might have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

STOP MAKING REDUNDANT THREADS.

Seriously can a mod step in at this point?!

The AFC have obviously tried everything in the book to fire him. The fact this has dragged on so long is a testament to his manager and the AFLPA. It proves that they were wrong in trying to get rid of him and tear up his contract.

I honestly don’t understand how anyone has an opinion on other people’s lives and issues outside of footy. This kid obviously has problems and they are causing some self destructive habits. He’s hardly the first or last to have these struggles, and for me to critisize him from the outside without knowing any of his personal circumstances would just be breathtakingly arrogant.

one thing that I’m 100% confident in though is that the absolute worse thing the AFL could do for Stengle is to cut him loose. Their desicion making in this should only be on what is best for him, and banning him and sending him away would almost certainly send him down a track like Ben Cousins. It’s time for everyone to realize that the leagues 3 strike policy is only there to help the player, it is nothing to do with us supporters or any prejudices we might have.
At least from what Nicks has been saying they won't just cut all ties with him even if he isn't playing with the club.

“ This kid obviously has problems and they are causing some self destructive habits.”

* me.. If enjoying a few channel nines here and there means you have “self destructive habits” then myself, pretty much all of my mates, my brother in laws and my wife and most of her friends are in trouble!..

We’ve all been doing it for many years now..

The 3 strikes policy is mainly to:
1. Accept that relapses can occur
2. Deter repeat offenders from going too deep down the rabbit hole.

There is only so much the sporting regulators can tolerate a player of drug tendencies, and you can say the same for the club as well as supporters. However, and with your main point, we have a responsibility to help the player to not fall too deep with shame or ridicule which could perhaps worsen a drug tendency, rather than help fix.

This is probably why the decision has taken as long as it has so far - no real easy answer of which is the better path for him/club.

Back