Surely 14 or 16 on field is worth trialling ?....

Remove this Banner Ad

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
...given that we hear Anderson Is suggesting trialling forwards start inside the f50 at centre bounces

If it was a success, 14 or 16 on field would be a financial godsend to clubs at lower levels, not to mention matching current fitness levels to the field size which hasn't changed

Just like the old VFA, remove the wings, play 16, free flowing footy

Worth a try in NAB cup. It is a massive change, but like you say, players are fitter and can kick the ball longer than ever before so it sort of compensates for the fact that we can't make the grounds bigger.

Maybe I'm coming around to interchange restrictions too - and before anyone says leave the game alone yada yada, the interchange is a relatively new rule.

I just want to see real footballers showing their football skills. Not a bunch of guys doing HIIT.

...given that we hear Anderson Is suggesting trialling forwards start inside the f50 at centre bounces

If it was a success, 14 or 16 on field would be a financial godsend to clubs at lower levels, not to mention matching current fitness levels to the field size which hasn't changed

I don't get the connection you're making.
Given that an AFL field is clearly marked into three zones the simplest method would to bring in a law that stated teams must have a minimum of three players in each zone at all times.
Not so hard.

I don't get the connection you're making.
Given that an AFL field is clearly marked into three zones the simplest method would to bring in a law that stated teams must have a minimum of three players in each zone at all times.
Not so hard.

Sounds simple on paper, but it would be a nightmare in real time. Say you've got the ball on a fast break from the opposition's forward line. Your bloke kicks it close to the 50, where the three forward zoned players are. Yet none of them can lead at the ball for fear of straying out of the forward arc.

The reason our game is so great is because we don't have s**t like zones and offside rules complicating it. Let it flow!

Sounds simple on paper, but it would be a nightmare in real time. Say you've got the ball on a fast break from the opposition's forward line. Your bloke kicks it close to the 50, where the three forward zoned players are. Yet none of them can lead at the ball for fear of straying out of the forward arc.

You forget there are 9 other players to fill holes.
Teams would adjust.
Reducing the number of players actually just encourages rebound football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back