Strategy Surely Clarko will allow long sleeves! Post here if you’ve actually played in this kind of weather.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So you would have been around for the human highlights reel in Saad Saad! Bloke should have been playing AFL but didn't seem to want it enough.

Played on him when he was Bullants and Seymour, absolute star.. I probably had 4-5 tussles with him, he never got a hold of me at Bullants but kicked 5 or 6 on me one day at Seymour.. his little bevy of cheer leaders liked to give it to you behind the goals. That Seymour side had a ton of good players, probably as good as you got at local level.

Yeah ... I live in Perth :huh:
I also mostly grew up in Perth and forgot about north eastern Victoria/Tas/south western NSW when I made the thread. I did grow up in the hills though, so I was fortunate enough to bust a few fingers in my day

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I like cold weather, and in general have a pretty high tolerance to cold, but 4c and rain (snow?) is surely an apt time to allow the old long sleeve to come back?View attachment 721709
My kid came off the field crying a couple of weeks ago. They have all these rules in the junior league where you get fined for wearing “skin coloured” (note the anglocentric description) leg-ins

They’re nine FFS

Clarko would yell at me for this

I still love Clarko

mainehawk

All Australian
Sep 2, 2008
castlemaine
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Played rugby union at high school in the UK in winter, during a snow blizzard, long sleeves were good, but did not stop your hands from freezing. Sports gloves were a thing of the future ... Let Clarko make long sleeves ok :hawthorn:

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
As above, played what? Probably played it all so long as there wasnt hard ground or ice. And when there was, played hockey...which I must say is pure evil from the PT teachers

Dec 29, 2008
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Modern AFL jumpers aren't wool though, they're synthetic. Oh well!

Just get all the players following the Wim Hof method eh sven_inc

Haha. Well said. If anyone hasn't looked into it, give yourself an early Xmas present and check him out. Life changing stuff!

The cold's good for you anyway, no long sleeves :)

Played on him when he was Bullants and Seymour, absolute star.. I probably had 4-5 tussles with him, he never got a hold of me at Bullants but kicked 5 or 6 on me one day at Seymour.. his little bevy of cheer leaders liked to give it to you behind the goals. That Seymour side had a ton of good players, probably as good as you got at local level.

Don't win 3 in a row with an average side. Only downside was, there weren't many local Seymourians.

As a yank who grew up in Michigan, I am stunned at how wimpy so many are about playing in cold weather...

...and how stupid we are over here!

And exactly how many layers of protection are your non-wimpy footballers running around in? Playing in the snow while wearing a suit of armour isn’t exactly that brave.

After playing in Darwin my whole life with 85-90% humidity, 33 degrees for just about every single game, I almost froze to death at my first footy training in Adelaide. Was only like 9 degrees and raining, but I never thought i'd be able to use my fingers, toes or lungs again

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Peter Hudson and Michael Tuck wore long sleeve jumpers, and they did okay. Look what happened when Tucky DID revert to a short sleeve in the 1987 GF, we got beaten!!!! Because Hudson was my boyhood hero, I also wore long sleeve jumpers, and loved them. If I played for a team that didn't have them, I'd buy a jumper with sleeves the same colour and wear it under the jumper. It became a superstition, I was almost convinced I couldn't play well in a short sleeve jumper.

At Clarko's presser he said that Adidas don't make a long-sleeve version so the boys will essentially have to suck it up.
He is clearly not a fan anyway.

And exactly how many layers of protection are your non-wimpy footballers running around in? Playing in the snow while wearing a suit of armour isn’t exactly that brave.
Actually I was talking about us as kids playing in t-shirts every time we had a big snow storm. We were all excited because we could play tackle rather than touch football. Snow is much softer than even grass. Seems pretty foolish now.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
Haha. Well said. If anyone hasn't looked into it, give yourself an early Xmas present and check him out. Life changing stuff!

The cold's good for you anyway, no long sleeves :)
Cold.JPG

Snow possible in the early morning now. Come on Mother Nature, you can do it!
At least one match at Trentham (Vic) has been abandoned due to snow and the umpires being unable to determine the playing field as the boundary line was also white.

Right now, its windy as. Is it expected to still be blowing like this tonight?

Regardless of the temp, thats what will create real discomfort and reduce the spectacle.

Cold is fine, but that wind that will cut like a knife.

I dunno, maybe Clarko can serve up a coupla hot rums before they run out. Free up the play.

Mappa

Club Legend
Feb 27, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Bromwich Albion
Unless they are made of some windproof, GoreTex, fleece material, they won't make much difference anyway. We're not talking about 10YO kids here. They are grown men, who have spent years in the gym bulking themselves up. I reckon they will fine for a few hours

Back