Surely... it's the end of Geelong home games in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Surely the time has come?

About $200m has been ploughed into the joint... mostly by taxpayers. Ok... well, marginal seat, good luck to them, there's worse things to spend money on.

Wouldn't the govt have got assurances they'd get maximum use out of it, starting with 11 GFC games and all finals?

It'll soon hold 40k which is the same or more as plenty of other stadiums in the AFL.

The AFL no longer has contracts for number of games at Etihad.

With ground rationalisation ruining "home and away" footy in Vic, it'd be nice to have at least one club with a home ground.

Geelong isn't in Melbourne. There's more than enough Melbourne clubs without importing home games from out of town.

I'm 100% for Geelong getting 11 home games in Geelong. It's their home ground, and harkens back to the VFL, travelling to enemy territory to watch a match.

All for it. Screw the impact on AFL crowd numbers.

About $200m has been ploughed into the joint... mostly by taxpayers. Ok... well, marginal seat, good luck to them, there's worse things to spend money on.

Wouldn't the govt have got assurances they'd get maximum use out of it, starting with 11 GFC games and all finals?

It'll soon hold 40k which is the same or more as plenty of other stadiums in the AFL.

With ground rationalisation ruining "home and away" footy in Vic, it'd be nice to have at least one club with a home ground.

Geelong isn't in Melbourne. There's more than enough Melbourne clubs without importing home games from out of town.
No home games at Etihad

Etihad = 55k+
Mcg = 90k+

How exactly will Skilled take that over?

Neither of them is in (or even close) to Geelong, and Geelong isn't in Melbourne.

Now there is a large, state of the art stadium in Geelong. Why on earth would they be playing anywhere else? It's ridiculous.

The above is the problem. The taxpayers paid so that corporates get maximum use out of the stadium, not the taxpayers... hence the 40k capacity. 40k is not enough capacity to play every home game plus finals.

When was the last time Essendon, Carlton or Collingwood played at Kardinia? Will believe it when I see it. Until then I expect the smaller vic clubs will get shafted with an unfair number of games in Geelong just so the Cats can fill their quota.

When was the last time Essendon, Carlton or Collingwood played at Kardinia? Will believe it when I see it. Until then I expect the smaller vic clubs will get shafted with an unfair number of games in Geelong just so the Cats can fill their quota.

If Essendon are away to Geelong I'd be happy for them to play there.

Seems beyond ridiculous to have spent hundreds of millions on a brand new stadium and the tenants don't even play their home games there.

The above is the problem. The taxpayers paid so that corporates get maximum use out of the stadium, not the taxpayers... hence the 40k capacity. 40k is not enough capacity to play every home game plus finals.

TBH perspectives on stadium size are skewed by the G. 40k is plenty big enough for a city and club like Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem is Geelong has 54,000 members. 54 doesn't go into 36.

How many attending members though? Let's be honest, must clubs would struggle to get 65% of their members going to a match.

If Essendon are away to Geelong I'd be happy for them to play there.

Seems beyond ridiculous to have spent hundreds of millions on a brand new stadium and the tenants don't even play their home games there.

Agree. And surely the cats make more from a packed Kardinia than 50k at the 'G since they own the stadium. From the interview with Cook though it sounds like Collingwood and Essendon won't have to put Geelong into their GPS' for a while yet.

I know it was 93 for us. Reckon Collingwood and Carlton played there in the late 90's, think Collingwood was 99?

Now there is a large, state of the art stadium in Geelong. Why on earth would they be playing anywhere else? It's ridiculous.
Geelong v Collingwood regularly draws 60-70k. Why should 30-40k fans be denied a chance to attend these games when the MCG is only 1 hour away from Geelong?

Geelong v Collingwood regularly draws 60-70k. Why should 30-40k fans be denied a chance to attend these games when the MCG is only 1 hour away from Geelong?

Why should Geelong be denied home games at their home ground?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back