Surely... it's the end of Geelong home games in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it will be more like when they realise their supporters are locked out that they will demand priority ticketing for finals

Why not both?

But yeah, I think finding out that only ~10K fans will get in (if that) will be a bit of a shock to their system.

As will learning that their club wont make a cent off those games.

Pretty sure they haven't since Waverley was built.
The VFL went from 20 games to 22 the same year that VFL park opened (the extra home game was played at VFL park for non-tenants). Before 1969 Geelong played all 10 home games at KP. From 1970 it was 10/1 split, as it was for all VFL teams with a non-VFL park home ground. After that each team fluctuated, especially those that sold games interstate (like North).

Why not both?

But yeah, I think finding out that only ~10K fans will get in (if that) will be a bit of a shock to their system.

As will learning that their club wont make a cent off those games.
Some cats fans were locked out of the QF v Freo, and I don't remember anyone complaining, especially beforehand. Many were of the opinion that integrity of finals was more important.

Some cats fans were locked out of the QF v Freo, and I don't remember anyone complaining, especially beforehand. Many were of the opinion that integrity of finals was more important.
Freo brought maybe 5k, so most regulars would have been able to get a ticket, it would be a big difference if a Melbourne based side or even Adelaide, West Coast or Brisbane brought in 10 to 15k

I'm all for Geelong home finals but the first thing that has to happen is Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn have to be kicked out of the glorious MCG back to the suburban homes so Melbourne can have a proper home ground advantage during the season too.

Surely the disadvantaged people of East Melbourne, Abbotsford and Hawthorn (or Mulgrave or Dingley really) deserve cash injections in to their community and gleaming new stadium too?

Yeah, but that was still ~90% Cats fans.

Think 30-40% (remember, the AFL will also take a big slice, so it gets split 3 ways).

Also remember that the bulk of those cats tickets will go to premium memberships...Ranks and file/reserved seat holders will get very few.

The VFL went from 20 games to 22 the same year that VFL park opened (the extra home game was played at VFL park for non-tenants). Before 1969 Geelong played all 10 home games at KP. From 1970 it was 10/1 split, as it was for all VFL teams with a non-VFL park home ground. After that each team fluctuated, especially those that sold games interstate (like North).

So 50 years since you played all your home games at KP....

I'm happy for the Cats to get 11 home games a year at Kardinia Park if they want, however like other non melbourne teams they should be made to travel interstate 10 times a year instead of getting a heap of supposed away games an hours drive down the road at Marvel or the MCG. Can a teams such as Bulldogs, North , St.Kilda, Carlton and Essendon really claim to have a home ground advantage playing the cats at Marvel stadium, the same goes for the Pies, Tigers, Hawks and Demons playing the Cats at the MCG. It seems to me the Cats want the best of both worlds home games in geelong then another 7 or 8 games at the MCG or Marvel that really are home games aswell. To make up the ten interstate games they could play the perth, adelaide, sydney and queensland teams twice then they could play the cairns game against the saints, the Alice springs game against the demons or games in tassie against north or the hawks.

I'm happy for the Cats to get 11 home games a year at Kardinia Park if they want, however like other non melbourne teams they should be made to travel interstate 10 times a year instead of getting a heap of supposed away games an hours drive down the road at Marvel or the MCG. Can a teams such as Bulldogs, North , St.Kilda, Carlton and Essendon really claim to have a home ground advantage playing the cats at Marvel stadium, the same goes for the Pies, Tigers, Hawks and Demons playing the Cats at the MCG. It seems to me the Cats want the best of both worlds home games in geelong then another 7 or 8 games at the MCG or Marvel that really are home games aswell. To make up the ten interstate games they could play the perth, adelaide, sydney and queensland teams twice then they could play the cairns game against the saints, the Alice springs game against the demons or games in tassie against north or the hawks.

What part of Chris Scott's quote that said we request 11 home games in Geelong did you not understand? I doubt that request has always been our position but with an upgraded ground surely we can request we play 11 home games at...home. Who we play away is not our decision to make and having clubs be able to have a say in who they play for their away games is one of the major distortions of the fixture. Wherever we are scheduled for away games should be where we play them, whether that is Melbourne or interstate.

Freo brought maybe 5k, so most regulars would have been able to get a ticket, it would be a big difference if a Melbourne based side or even Adelaide, West Coast or Brisbane brought in 10 to 15k
and that should not matter.
The integrity of the competition should be priority one.

Rest assured this club won't cease campaigning until it is given what it earns, and what is fair.
We're not there yet.

Rest assured this club won't cease campaigning until it is given what it earns, and what is fair.
We're not there yet.

Of course it matters. The AFL prides itself on its attendance figures as a major differential between it and every other code here. You wont see major finals at Kardinia Park ever.

Of course it matters. The AFL prides itself on its attendance figures as a major differential between it and every other code here. You wont see major finals at Kardinia Park ever.
We will. Forgive me if I don't take the views of silver spoon fan (Big 4 club) seriously.
Eventually we will get what we earn.

If we played interstate 10 times a year (2 in each of WA/SA/NSW/QLD/TAS) then aside from North/Hawks, every VIC club would have to play at Geelong. I'm all for it, but can you imagine the whinging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not there yet.
Should
But we know cash and attendance numbers rule the roost.

I can't see many victorian finals being played away from the G in the future
Perhaps if you had a series where Richmond, Essendon, Hawthorn and Collingwood all got in as well as the Cats, and you could host a non-Vic team there whilst the G had 2 games.

Outside of that, i can't see it happening. Which is stupid.

At the very least they could give you the 11 home games in Geelong.

Forgive me if i tell you that who i support has nothing to do with how the AFL operates.
How it operates now, sure.
There will come a time where that will change, and I hope I'm at the game to tell the AFL to get stuffed when it does.

We do not presently get home finals. We get either neutral games or away games as the home team.
It will at some point change, and at some point we will get our allotment of H&A games.

What part of Chris Scott's quote that said we request 11 home games in Geelong did you not understand? I doubt that request has always been our position but with an upgraded ground surely we can request we play 11 home games at...home. Who we play away is not our decision to make and having clubs be able to have a say in who they play for their away games is one of the major distortions of the fixture. Wherever we are scheduled for away games should be where we play them, whether that is Melbourne or interstate.

As i said I'm fine with Geelong getting an 11 game home ground advantage playing games at Kardinia Park but to then on top of that get another 5 or 6 at the MCG and Marvel essentially neutral venues when they are playing Melbourne clubs gives them an advantage no other team in the league has, non victorian teams realistically get home ground advantage for only 10 games when a side has to travel to play them, they then have 2 neutral games against the other team that plays in their state and ten real away games. If you break down what Geelong want they want 11 games at Kardinia Park where they have a home ground advantage then 5 or 6 games at neutral venues [MCG and Marvel] then only 5 or 6 games where they are actually disadvantaged by traveling to an away venue. I can't see any possible argument that can be made that Geelong won't have the easiest fixture every year when they are only disadvantaged 5 or 6 times every year.

If we played interstate 10 times a year (2 in each of WA/SA/NSW/QLD/TAS) then aside from North/Hawks, every VIC club would have to play at Geelong. I'm all for it, but can you imagine the whinging.

Carlton and Richmond sides with large supporter bases have played at Kardinia Park in recent years sides like Collingwood and Essendon should have to just suck it up and if they are drawn to play at Kardinia Park bad luck.

As i said I'm fine with Geelong getting an 11 game home ground advantage playing games at Kardinia Park but to then on top of that get another 5 or 6 at the MCG and Marvel essentially neutral venues when they are playing Melbourne clubs gives them an advantage no other team in the league has, non victorian teams realistically get home ground advantage for only 10 games when a side has to travel to play them, they then have 2 neutral games against the other team that plays in their state and ten real away games. If you break down what Geelong want they want 11 games at Kardinia Park where they have a home ground advantage then 5 or 6 games at neutral venues [MCG and Marvel] then only 5 or 6 games where they are actually disadvantaged by traveling to an away venue. I can't see any possible argument that can be made that Geelong won't have the easiest fixture every year when they are only disadvantaged 5 or 6 times every year.

The thing I don’t understand is how are the MCG and Marvel nuetral venues for Geelong??? Our home ground is Kardinia Park!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing I don’t understand is how are the MCG and Marvel nuetral venues for Geelong??? Our home ground is Kardinia Park!

Firstly the travel is a non factor the MCG and Marvel are an hour down the road from geelong, secondly if you play at a venue say the MCG 4 or 5 times a year i can't see how it could be classed as being disadvantaged instead of neutral. Melbourne clubs travelling to Kardinia Park are at a clear disadvantage because they would only play there once a year

If i was the AFL the year they give Geelong 11 games a year at KP, i would make all their Melbourne away games at Marvel. If they complain about having no games at MCG like the interstate clubs do then suggest they can always play a couple of home games there

If i was the AFL the year they give Geelong 11 games a year at KP, i would make all their Melbourne away games at Marvel. If they complain about having no games at MCG like the interstate clubs do then suggest they can always play a couple of home games there

and give them several relocated games. North in Hobart, Hawthorn in Launceston, etc etc.

If they want the upside of non Vic clubs, they should have the downside too.

Firstly the travel is a non factor the MCG and Marvel are an hour down the road from geelong, secondly if you play at a venue say the MCG 4 or 5 times a year i can't see how it could be classed as being disadvantaged instead of neutral. Melbourne clubs travelling to Kardinia Park are at a clear disadvantage because they would only play there once a year

Firstly the travel is the same both ways! It’s only an hour down the road for Carlton too! So if West Coast play at the G 4 times is it considered a neutral venue for them too?? Especially now that their home ground is the same dimensions? It’s not our fault our away games are played against multiple teams who play at the MCG or Etihad! It’s the same for the interstate clubs who play 4-5 games at either of the vic stadiums! If the AFL wasn’t so money hungry maybe the blues could play at VISY and have their own home ground advantage. We do the same amount of interstate travel as every other VIC team. The best argument from the Collingwood and Richmond’s of the Comp is that we get 12-13 home games, they actually get 14-15 games each year at their home stadium let alone the 17-18 they play in the state of VIC. Everyone is so quick to say MCG may aswell be our home ground because we get 4-5 games a year there the same amount as the interstate clubs. It’s a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back