Roast Surely We're Better Than This?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been barely 48 hours since our FIRST game under a new coach after one of the most successful periods of success in club history. Yet you wouldn't think it was reading some of the posts that have been made during that time.

Players and even the first time coach have been potted for not being good enough or for reacting to slow or costing the club it's future because we over paid for them.

I mean I could understand the angst if Hardwick was still coaching and we'd just been belted by the Suns, but again it was the first game under a new coach and new game plan, without a number of our best players playing, while a number of unproven players were also afforded an opportunity to start staking their claim to be part of the next generation of success.

So surely we're not returning to the old ways of eating our own already. I'm not saying that criticism can't be made as there was plenty to be critical about, but again it was Yzes FIRST game as head coach in a meaningful game for points.

Instead of sinking the boots in how about some patience and allow both the coaches and playing group settle into the season. At the moment it's all trial and error as Yze starts to form the best 23 that takes us forward, as players are trialed in different positions, with different structures/set ups as he works out which combinations work the best.

That will likely mean more games like Saturday as that unfolds, just like what we saw back in 2010 when another untried coach took over and went 0-9 to start his tenure, before things started to settle and we went 6-7 in the second half of the season. The main difference between then and now, is that Yze is starting with a much better foundation to build from, so hopefully it's not another 0-9 start to a coaches career.

Even if it does pan out to be a year like 2010 and we only win 6 games, the season won't be a complete bust. Yze has shown already that youth will get their chance, so we're going to find out quite quickly exactly where the list is at in terms of developing talent and with a very strong draft hand, we will be in a good position to add some talented kids to the list to continue the rebuild.

Not sure why everyone is losing it at the players, coach and game plan. We only lose games because of the cheating AFL and their umpires. Otherwise, we’d be undefeated every year

Not sure why everyone is losing it at the players, coach and game plan. We only lose games because of the cheating AFL and their umpires. Otherwise, we’d be undefeated every year
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

It's been barely 48 hours since our FIRST game under a new coach after one of the most successful periods of success in club history. Yet you wouldn't think it was reading some of the posts that have been made during that time.

Players and even the first time coach have been potted for not being good enough or for reacting to slow or costing the club it's future because we over paid for them.

I mean I could understand the angst if Hardwick was still coaching and we'd just been belted by the Suns, but again it was the first game under a new coach and new game plan, without a number of our best players playing, while a number of unproven players were also afforded an opportunity to start staking their claim to be part of the next generation of success.

So surely we're not returning to the old ways of eating our own already. I'm not saying that criticism can't be made as there was plenty to be critical about, but again it was Yzes FIRST game as head coach in a meaningful game for points.

Instead of sinking the boots in how about some patience and allow both the coaches and playing group settle into the season. At the moment it's all trial and error as Yze starts to form the best 23 that takes us forward, as players are trialed in different positions, with different structures/set ups as he works out which combinations work the best.

That will likely mean more games like Saturday as that unfolds, just like what we saw back in 2010 when another untried coach took over and went 0-9 to start his tenure, before things started to settle and we went 6-7 in the second half of the season. The main difference between then and now, is that Yze is starting with a much better foundation to build from, so hopefully it's not another 0-9 start to a coaches career.

Even if it does pan out to be a year like 2010 and we only win 6 games, the season won't be a complete bust. Yze has shown already that youth will get their chance, so we're going to find out quite quickly exactly where the list is at in terms of developing talent and with a very strong draft hand, we will be in a good position to add some talented kids to the list to continue the rebuild.

Well said.

More than half the team on Saturday had not played 30 matches in their role for the club.

Balta would have played about 6 games in a similar role for us before the Suns match.
Koschitzke 0 games in his role for the club.
Campbell 0 games.
Maurice Jnr 27 games.
Banks 6 games.
Taranto 23 games
Hopper 16 games
Young 19 games
Gibcus 18 games
Naismith 0 games
Dow about 6 games in that role
Ryan 15 games
And even Pickett was playing his first game back in his long term wing role after most of last season playing forward.

So more than half the team had averaged about 11 games in their role at Richmond.

Suns had the following who would have played under 30 games for the club in their roles:

Uwland 3 games
Budarick 28 games
Berry 6 games
Humphrey 19 games
Flanders possibly about 15 games in that role
Sexton 0 games in a new role

So you are talking about Suns just 6 players under 30 games in their respective roles averaging 12 matches in their roles. v Richmond 12 players averaging 11 matches in their roles. It is a big difference.

This is before you consider interstate home ground advantage, Richmond missing 4 first choice players and 3 of those being the skipper, Lynch and Martin, and then the other issue of Richmond having a tricky preparation where they need to back up off heat and travel in 5 days time. So there are reasons why Suns started clear favourites.

Still want to see our team solving some of their deficiencies as the season unfolds.

Last edited:
It’s not whether you win or lose it’s how you play the game and we played real bad like uncompetitive bad in the first half.
Senior players no matter who coaches, how many rounds in must not butcher the ball like they do or show a below par fitness level when presenting for the first game. This is what grinds my gears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't be critical of Yze until next season, even if we barely win a game. This year we were always going to be stuck with the same list as last season given we traded out picks. Our list management situation has made selection difficult this season also. People will want all of Grimes, Broad, McIntosh, Pickett, Prestia etc dropped, but these decisions need to be made at list management time at the end of the season. They won't all be playing VFL at once. We are stuck with most of the 23 from Saturday all season.

And yet Yze’s platform for the job was this is still a team in the window and all we needed was a game plan refresh and reinforcement of some basic behaviours?

This isn’t a development year - we signalled our intent, and set a target of being in the mix for a flag.

May only be one loss, but we look miles off it - best case scenario it takes a few weeks until we’re humming - but by then you’re well behind the 8-ball and will struggle to have any meaningful run at it.

Even the most optimistic supporter wouldn’t have thought this team has more than 1 or 2 seasons before it completely bottoms out.

If not this season, then when?

Am I having a fever dream? I must’ve imagined the club setting a flag as a target this year, and suddenly everyone talking about this being a development year without batting an eyelid?

I don't even know what you are talking about. It reads like every other thread after we, or any team, has a bad loss. Just chatter about the game plan he chose, the team he selected & the performance. When all 3 went poorly, its not going to be a very fluffy read, what do you expecct?

Do you expect people to just eat s**t results & performances & smile for a decade, just because we won a few flags 5 years ago? The club hasn't made many right decision since the 2020 flag tbh. That was 4 years ago. There isn't much to be positive about anymore, except the past.

People will want all of Grimes, Broad, McIntosh, Pickett, Prestia etc dropped, but these decisions need to be made at list management time at the end of the season. They won't all be playing VFL at once. We are stuck with most of the 23 from Saturday all season.
They could still drop a few at a time. Grimes probably won't get dropped, especially if Balta remains second ruck, but there's no reason for any of the others you mentioned not to be sent back to the twos. Broad, like Grimes, most likely safe too, due to the inexperience of our key backs. McIntosh, Prestia and Pickett are probably in the line of fire first, but who knows.

Martin, Bolton and Ross to the midfield immediately. I'd throw young McAullife in there too. Nothing to lose.

And yet Yze’s platform for the job was this is still a team in the window and all we needed was a game plan refresh and reinforcement of some basic behaviours?

This isn’t a development year - we signalled our intent, and set a target of being in the mix for a flag.

May only be one loss, but we look miles off it - best case scenario it takes a few weeks until we’re humming - but by then you’re well behind the 8-ball and will struggle to have any meaningful run at it.

Even the most optimistic supporter wouldn’t have thought this team has more than 1 or 2 seasons before it completely bottoms out.

If not this season, then when?

Am I having a fever dream? I must’ve imagined the club setting a flag as a target this year, and suddenly everyone talking about this being a development year without batting an eyelid?
Don’t think the club feel we are still contenders. Think you are talking about Yze saying that he’s not putting a ceiling on where we could finish this year. He’s words were “I want the players to feel they can finish/aim for top 4.” In other words, we always will aim to win. I’m pretty sure the club knew were we are at both end of last season when he was appointed and now.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we win this week
I wouldnt be surprised but it would be one of those games that signals where we really are in the pecking order. It would be a call back to the early days or Hardwick where we would be smacked around then come out and make a great performance against a club no one expected us to win against then to fail badly the next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back