FTA-TV Survivor 40 (Winners at War)

Remove this Banner Ad

s1 - s10: no HII
s11: before voting
s12 - s13: after the votes are read out
s14 - present: between voting and being read out

the idol wasn’t perfect to begin with, but they made the changes to perfect it risk and reward.

If I understand this correctly, in season 12 you could play an idol AFTER the votes were read? Wow. Did this ever happen?

If I understand this correctly, in season 12 you could play an idol AFTER the votes were read? Wow. Did this ever happen?
If you read through the article, it shows every instance of an Idol. In the two season where this was possible, it was never played.
But Yul, who had the idol in s13, flaunted it around using it to persuade people to vote with him.

And in both seasons of it's use, the owner of the idol survivor until it was no longer usable. Yul even winning the season.

If you read through the article, it shows every instance of an Idol. In the two season where this was possible, it was never played.
But Yul, who had the idol in s13, flaunted it around using it to persuade people to vote with him.

And in both seasons of it's use, the owner of the idol survivor until it was no longer usable. Yul even winning the season.

Thanks for that context, didn’t read the article. Was fascinated by the prospect of an idol being played after the votes. Can only imagine the reactions.

I vaguely remember a season a few years ago where this perhaps existed, but again don’t think it was played. I assume it was removed as it’s perhaps too much power to have, not sure.

Thanks for that context, didn’t read the article. Was fascinated by the prospect of an idol being played after the votes. Can only imagine the reactions.

I vaguely remember a season a few years ago where this perhaps existed, but again don’t think it was played. I assume it was removed as it’s perhaps too much power to have, not sure.
It was pretty much having a second live in the game, without having to go to Redemption Island or Edge of Extinction (twist that cam later in the game)

There have been one off instances over the past 5 or so years where it's come back for a Twist.
And in Koah Rong, you could play two normal idols after the vote.

All these new winners are in awe of some of the legends, fair enough though.
It’s gonna be good to see everyone go all out from day dot, and you can’t complain about playing the game too early.
Was waiting to see Rob and Amber work together :(
Has someone told the older players about the idols?
Immunity challenge straight up. Wtf
There’s Kim’s strength at show.
It’s dope to see Tyson again.
Rob can’t play his usual game. This is gonna be the hardest for him. You can’t just take someone as a goat to the end.
Parvati is back. And kinda flirting.
Reckon Tony will create another shak?
Didn’t realise this could be tough for those that have only played once. They haven’t played with the majority, if at all any of the players.
It’s now all about the single season players.
A Rob and Parvati alliance. WOW.
This is brutal
And Natalie is a goner.
Oh, Jeremy is pissed.
The fire token has gone to Jeremy, of course it has.
And of course you pick EOE, everyone will, and everyone will stay still the end.
This is gonna be a big Jury, expect a 17 person Jury.

Part 2, here we go…
Sandra’s gonna go after Amber.
Is Yul paying too hard? While Wendell and Nick are chilling.
Okay, so one tribe is single v multiple season; the other old school v new school
Fire tokens is a personal thing, so I can see it being used more after the merge when it’s for personal gain rather than tribe gain.
Fire tokens can be found at EOE, okay, this changes things. Means there could be more than 20 tokens.
So basically, giving the idol to someone on the losing tribe.
Does Natalie get to sit through Tribal Councils, on the jury?
These water/beach based challenges, realised that some have never played in tropical locations before.
“Hey Tony, pay attention” Hahahah.
Okay, it’s tied now.
And Jeremy has another.
Jeremy has proved himself.
This is only Denise’s second immunity win, and first tribal immunity win. *ing hell.
Yup playing the diplomat.
Sandra playing the snitch.
Sandra got the idol? She bought it. Lol. Personal gain.
I wanna see Tyson stay.
Think vote could go anywhere.
Yul brought up the Poker Player alliance to begin with. I see him winning, or getting close. Because as was said, Yul thinks before he speaks.
Sandra going hardball, because she already has $2mil from this game already.
That’s a cool pen.
And Amber goes, she’s gonna have to give her token to Rob. Without a doubt.I don’t see any other way.
And she give the token to Rob. Easiest choice In the game. This means he’ll find out early. And plot revenge.

I just couldnt get into it. I have only known half of these guys but i just couldnt get inspired by it. EOE sucks badly , its changed the game and its not Survivor now. I do like Rob/Parvati alliance... hope it lasts and you can see how elite they are. I get the feeling i am going to give up if they both get voted out to EOE though. Ive given up on 3 of the last 4 US seasons... hope i can keep going on this one...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Great to see these people again, even if I don't remember a quarter of them
- Was surprised it was actually champagne and glasses and not some Survivor related thing. Nice touch
- Love the Immunity Challenge first up
- wow Kim beasted her leg
- these fire tokens could be interesting. certainly adds another level of strategy
- normally not a fan of the family stuff but I actually liked the discussion between Amber/Sarah/Tyson
- Surely Wendell didn't seriously think he could get out of building the shelter :D
- I hope the The Queen thing isn't a recurring thing
- Parvarti looks real good for someone who had a kid 10 months ago
- I didn't think I remembered Ethan, but seeing the short clip of him playing hacky-sack rings a bell
- unsurprising that Yul has already thought deeply about the personalities and prior relationships
- Parvarti and Boston Rob in an alliance :hearteyes:
- Crabs eat sea snakes?
- "He knows the game" is a weird reason to want to work with someone given they are all winners
- Nobody wanting to be the one to decide the first vote is hilarious. Everyone is taking the "don't be a leader early" rule very literally 😂
- love that the pen is a dagger
- wow, did not think it was going to be Natalie out first. Adam and Denise must have done a great job to convince Rob/Parvarti
- Jeremy is super pissed, and it basically reinforces the decision to vote the way they did
- I actually like the twist on EOE with those on there able to earn tokens
- lol at Rob launching the women over the barrell roll in the second challenge
- seems like Jeremy's underhand technique was clearly superior to Wendell's frisbee throws
- good comeback for the tribe that did basically everything wrong in the challenge
- wow big contrast between the tribes - seems like Red don't have a problem with throwing names out there
- interesting that Natalie chose Sandra for the HII
- sucks to see one of the greatest players so down so early
- lol Sandra basically said verbatim what Rob did in the last TC
- looks like the "Poker Alliance"'s lack of early networking/strategy compared to Sandra's did them in
- Its going to be interesting to see what BR does with this

Entertaining stuff, it was on from the get go. Fire tokens are a very interesting addition, will be quite influential later on the game.

Huge comeback in that second challenge, Rob and Jeremy in beast mode. Never heard of this so called poker alliance, but it came back to bite them.

I'm guessing this Boston Rob/Sandra hatred thing is a bit of a ruse. No way she didn't know he was going on this season.
I saw her interviewed at the premiere by Rob C and she said they were asked about the possibility of coming back for season 40 as they were leaving season 39.
Seems weird

Hmmm. I'm not sure I loved this first double ep.

- I'm already confused by fire tokens. And I think it's another gimmick that the game doesn't need. The beauty of Survivor and the secret to its success over 20 years has been the way it's been able to evolve despite its simplicity. Edge of Extinction sucks enough, but fire tokens might be a bridge too far.

- I don't think I love decisions being made according to outside events that we don't all know about. If you want to vote people out based on past seasons of Survivor, great. But I don't want people voted out based on a "poker alliance". I also feel like something like this means the slate starts clean after this series - we might never get a pre-season 40 player ever again after this series.

- Voting out Amber felt a bit brutal. I saw in interview with Jeff on Twitter today saying that Amber was the biggest get given her family situation. It seems rough that she's left 4 kids behind and got voted out cos she's married to Rob.

- The edit on the first ep was bizarre. There wasn't really any reason given for Natalie being voted out.

Am I right in thinking that this was filmed before the live final of season 39? I don't know if it would be considered a spoiler, but Sandra looked a lot thinner at the s39 final than she does now. Makes me think she goes deep into this game. (Speaking of, a few of these players have been in a good paddock since they played.)

Am I right in thinking that this was filmed before the live final of season 39? I don't know if it would be considered a spoiler, but Sandra looked a lot thinner at the s39 final than she does now. Makes me think she goes deep into this game. (Speaking of, a few of these players have been in a good paddock since they played.)
Seasons are filmed back to back, in April-June to reduced production costs.
The live finale was December.

I think Danni is the only player I don't know. How did she win her season? Like what style of player is she?
Piggy backed off Stephenie LaGrossa (in her second season)
Eh, that's debatable.

When Danni played, Stephenie was the biggest star Survivor had had since the first season. Danni was worried production would try help Stephenie win so she deliberately didn't discuss her strategy in confessionals. So the answer to how did she win her season is we don't really know.

She was the last of her alliance left but survived a while and won. It may have been dumb luck/coattail riding but I think she's actually a very good player.

Hmmm. I'm not sure I loved this first double ep.

- I'm already confused by fire tokens. And I think it's another gimmick that the game doesn't need. The beauty of Survivor and the secret to its success over 20 years has been the way it's been able to evolve despite its simplicity. Edge of Extinction sucks enough, but fire tokens might be a bridge too far.

Like it or not, the producers (*cough*Jeff*cough*) will keep trying new things. It confuses me that regular viewers (not aimed at you, just what I generally read) continue to complain about things before they are really given a go. Sometimes twists suck, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they can suck at first but be better. Sometimes they can be great to start with but suck in later seasons. My philosophy is just accept things will change, there are far worse things that have already changed (looking right at the final 4 fire making crap). I'm willing to give the tokens a chance to see the added layer.

- I don't think I love decisions being made according to outside events that we don't all know about. If you want to vote people out based on past seasons of Survivor, great. But I don't want people voted out based on a "poker alliance". I also feel like something like this means the slate starts clean after this series - we might never get a pre-season 40 player ever again after this series.

You'll never stop outside factors influencing returning players. People just need a reason to vote people out, especially early. And nope, we'll see players from previous seasons return still, you can bet on that. They have a goldmine of people they'll want to bring back.

- Voting out Amber felt a bit brutal. I saw in interview with Jeff on Twitter today saying that Amber was the biggest get given her family situation. It seems rough that she's left 4 kids behind and got voted out cos she's married to Rob.

It's rough, but as above. Outside factors can't be avoided. It's a valid reason and unfortunately, Amber's the type of player who needs to be a wingperson. She was always gonna be in trouble without protection. And Sandra is a master manipulator,

- The edit on the first ep was bizarre. There wasn't really any reason given for Natalie being voted out.

Yes there was - she and Jeremy are tight. Not a huge focus but it was a reason thrown out there. Editors like to throw viewers off the scent as much as they can.

Yes, it was filmed middle of last year, a good 5-6 months before the season 39 finale. They film two seasons kinda back-to-backish in May through Julyish and then air them consecutively. So season 41 and 42 should be filmed after season 40 finishes on TV.

Anyways, my thoughts...

- Rob and Parvati is a power couple I didn't know I needed.
- A lot of one timers are gonna need time to find their feet. The multiple returnees have an edge.
- Yul and Sophie is an alliance I really dig (Sophie is a dead ringer for my sister-in-law).
- Kim really needs to prove herself, because she was in a season of real dumbasses and dominated. Struggling early.
- Ben is terrible, should never have idolled and firemade his way to a million $.
- Sandra is the master manipulator. She's so difficult to get out unless you can get everyone on the same page. Which is what killed her in Gamechangers because she was swapf***ed.
- Tyson last minute scrambled, a good sign for him, but I still fear for him longterm.
- Adam is kind of annoyingly loud with his "look at all these targets you should be voting out" strategy. It's like the Sandra "anyone but me" strategy except it's "everyone but me". I'd be voting that kinda person out quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back