FTA-TV Survivor 40 (Winners at War)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am rewatching Amazon at the moment. Boy times have changed.... every Rob Casterino confessional was about how hot the girls were! I am enjoying it though, old school, no idols but lots of camp life and old style challenges like asking questions about others which i quite enjoy.
Yep I cringe at Rob on his first season in particular. Married with kids and a very different personality on his podcast now!

I also re-watched that series at about the same time as we were watching season 39. I found it so uncomfortable hearing him on RHAP come out so strong on the Dan/Kellee situation at the same time I was watching him being creepy and gross towards Heidi and Jenna. Seemed quite hypocritical.

Now that the dust has settled on Winners at War, where does it rank for you in the best seasons?

1. Heroes vs Villans: Best series, no weak episode, memorable moments and probably the best cast ever assembeled.
2. Cagayan: Best newbie cast ever assembled, constant changes to the game and a fantastic winner.
3. Cambodia: The best strategic series ever, constantly shifting alliances and voting blocs.
4. Micronesia: A landmark season that really changed Suvivor from being about Survival to the strategy seen in modern day Survivor.
5. Winners at War: Would have been at 1 if the EoE was handelled better (returnee come back way too deep into the game) and the mid-section of the series was editied better. Absolutely fantastic though, the Avengers Endgame of Survivor, lots of nostalgia and the winners now becomes the Survivor GOAT.

HM: David v Goliath, Blood v Water 1, Tocantins
Second Chance?

I also re-watched that series at about the same time as we were watching season 39. I found it so uncomfortable hearing him on RHAP come out so strong on the Dan/Kellee situation at the same time I was watching him being creepy and gross towards Heidi and Jenna. Seemed quite hypocritical.
I think that whole season was ripe for it purely from the men vs women aspect.

But I don't think anything he said was in the same ballpark as Dan.

I think that whole season was ripe for it purely from the men vs women aspect.

But I don't think anything he said was in the same ballpark as Dan.

No, it wasn't, and we never heard anything from Jenna or Heidi complaining about it (not that this means they weren't uncomfortable.)

I just don't think he was in a great position to be expressing outrage at how Survivor handles gender issues having spent a whole season objectifying those 2 women.

No, it wasn't, and we never heard anything from Jenna or Heidi complaining about it (not that this means they weren't uncomfortable.)

I just don't think he was in a great position to be expressing outrage at how Survivor handles gender issues having spent a whole season objectifying those 2 women.
People change in 15 years?

People change in 15 years?

Fair enough. And I'm far from a RHAP devotee, typically only listening to 1-2 shows a week until I fall asleep - but I never heard him acknowledge his own history.

That was my only problem. As soon as he acknowledges his own history with Survivor's grapple with gender issues, I'm happy for him to speak from a position of authority. But to my knowledge he never has. Instead he seems to prefer pretending he wasn't creepy AF in his first series.

Fair enough. And I'm far from a RHAP devotee, typically only listening to 1-2 shows a week until I fall asleep - but I never heard him acknowledge his own history.

That was my only problem. As soon as he acknowledges his own history with Survivor's grapple with gender issues, I'm happy for him to speak from a position of authority. But to my knowledge he never has. Instead he seems to prefer pretending he wasn't creepy AF in his first series.
What an incredibly stupid problem. His history is telling jokes, it doesn't need to be acknowledged. Dan's history is touching people repeatedly, even after being asked to stop.

Only one of those things will ever get you pulled from the game. And any viewer that can't figure out why, I'm banning you from watching the show ever again (for the sake of us both).

I think its more that times have changed. When the girls stripped at the immunity challenge Jeff was semi egging them on and there was cameras focusing on right on Heidi's fake boobs when Rob was talking about her. Heidi and Jenna weren't shy at all and were using the attention to get further in the game. I can only imagine that the edit would be completely different (and way more boring) if was the season was played this year.

Anyway season 6 on Tenplay if you want to see what the fuss is about!

What an incredibly stupid problem. His history is telling jokes, it doesn't need to be acknowledged. Dan's history is touching people repeatedly, even after being asked to stop.

Only one of those things will ever get you pulled from the game. And any viewer that can't figure out why, I'm banning you from watching the show ever again (for the sake of us both).

You have no understanding of what can constitute harassment. Plenty of people in the real world have been fired for "jokes".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if they are unwelcome.

Of course. But you can't claim to know whether Heidi or Jenna found them unwelcome. Millions of women pretend to be ok with sexual harassment - we even saw it in the Dan scenario.

The fact that neither of them called it out to Rob or in a confessional doesn't mean they thought it was ok.

Just spent the last 2 days watching Kid Nation on YouTube, I'd never heard of it but it's had a bit of a revival lately. Basically Survivor for 40 kids, but they're stranded in an old western ghost town, and they need to build a community and not die I guess. No voting out, but they can choose to leave and their elected council award 1 kid $20k each week. Interesting show, albeit possibly not the most productive way to spend my stand down period. I regret nothing.

Has anyone else watched it?

Just spent the last 2 days watching Kid Nation on YouTube, I'd never heard of it but it's had a bit of a revival lately. Basically Survivor for 40 kids, but they're stranded in an old western ghost town, and they need to build a community and not die I guess. No voting out, but they can choose to leave and their elected council award 1 kid $20k each week. Interesting show, albeit possibly not the most productive way to spend my stand down period. I regret nothing.

Watched it online with some friends recently.

What a bizarre show. But great.

Also Sophia has started doing Q&As on YouTube:

She looks exactly the same

Also Sophia has started doing Q&As on YouTube:

She looks exactly the same

Wow, exactly the same!

I'm now watching Adam Klein's Coin Flip Trip on YouTube that he talked about on his deep dive with Rob. Pretty good show, short episodes so they don't drag at all.

I am rewatching Amazon at the moment. Boy times have changed....

I'm currently rewatching it as well, 4 episodes in and its clear Rob C and Heidi were ahead of their time in the way the game is successful played now.

The main difference comparing old seasons to current is most of the episodes are focused on the actual survival and at most there is only 10 minutes of gameplay talk an episode.

Now that the dust has settled on Winners at War, where does it rank for you in the best seasons?

1. Heroes vs Villans: Best series, no weak episode, memorable moments and probably the best cast ever assembeled.
2. Cagayan: Best newbie cast ever assembled, constant changes to the game and a fantastic winner.
3. Cambodia: The best strategic series ever, constantly shifting alliances and voting blocs.
4. Micronesia: A landmark season that really changed Suvivor from being about Survival to the strategy seen in modern day Survivor.
5. Winners at War: Would have been at 1 if the EoE was handelled better (returnee come back way too deep into the game) and the mid-section of the series was editied better. Absolutely fantastic though, the Avengers Endgame of Survivor, lots of nostalgia and the winners now becomes the Survivor GOAT.

HM: David v Goliath, Blood v Water 1, Tocantins
Pearl Islands is a top 3 season of all time. Sandra, Rupert and Jonny FairPlay. It has to be top 3 for the iconic FairPlay alone.

Pearl Islands is a top 3 season of all time. Sandra, Rupert and Jonny FairPlay. It has to be top 3 for the iconic FairPlay alone.
Couldn't help noticing that way back in season 7 we saw the 3rd player out finish in the runner up chair. Thoughts on outcast vs EoE format given they have both seen early boots with a chance at being crowned winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back