FTA-TV Survivor 42

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that was really brave. They identified a pattern and they called it out and stomped on it.

It wasn’t one of those really defining TCs like Zeke or the ep after Kellee got voted out, but it was pretty powerful.

I thought that was really brave. They identified a pattern and they called it out and stomped on it.

It wasn’t one of those really defining TCs like Zeke or the ep after Kellee got voted out, but it was pretty powerful.

I felt Maryanne articulated her feelings extremely well.

It had been a fairly tame episode up until that point to be honest.

When the immunity challenge was so early in the episode, and then so much time leftover after the first group voted, I had a feeling something was going to happen at tribal.

Heavy stuff. Cringed a bit when Jonathan started up and thankfully he recovered later. Thought Maryanne spoke brilliantly.

I don’t think you could call it a pattern as the boots had nothing to do with the other and had nothing to do with race that I could see. It was chance.

I understand why the two of them were wary of how it might look if another black person joined them on the jury, don’t get me wrong, but to me it doesn’t have anything to do with gameplay and is a decision made on factors outside of the game.

I guess it makes you see how black people are so unhappy in America.

I noticed something last season and it came out again tonight and that is that the black contestants only see themselves as a minority and do not often see that there are other minorities (save for Maryanne mentioning Omar being Muslim) but they have Hispanic players, Asian players, gay players etc.

Hell, last year the season was won by a female Asian player and in the final 3 was a black player.

I don’t think it’s the game, it’s experience outside of the game and the unhappiness or unfairness that black people there feel. It permeates into everything, but it ruins the game and the show in some ways.

I don’t blame the black players for it just to be clear, but it’s taking away enjoyment of this show. It’s a sad situation.

Last edited:
Not a fan of that episode and where its going to take the game. I mean we are 6 votes in and all 4 black players were still in the game. Its not like they were the first 2 boots of the game. Everyone has to go at some point and they all put Chanelle on the jury last week so seems like a massive over reaction to say there is a subconscious racial bias because Rocksroy followed her. Felt for Jonathan there too because you get put in a position where you cant push back at all without being pegged as the villain

Girls alliance? Fantastic. Black alliance? Fantastic? Mens alliance? I will not be a part of this misogyny...
That was a strange comment indeed and Im pretty sure he doesn’t understand what misogyny means.

Survivor, well at least this season, is over.

As soon as a contestant writes down Drea or Maryanne on the parchment they will now be labelled racist.

Which is unfair really.

Its Drea's or Maryanne's to lose from here.

Looks like a few posters here missed the point of what was said.

Have to remember that these guys are competing in s**t conditions, especially that night. Feeling drained physically and mentally, they can be forgiven for expressing themselves for long standing feelings that were bubbling to the surface. They did well to express themselves and clarify that they weren't targeted about race. They've shown a shitload more courage than the many people have pulled themselves for the game for weak reasons.

Furthermore, I've got no issues with broader discussion at tribals considering the only thing that ever makes them interesting is blindsided AFTER the vote, or someone losing their s**t before hand.Beats the same monotonous straight bat players constantly do every week.

I think the current US format is the future of Survivor IMO, at least does a better job of covering s**t players. Our last two seasons have seen a player get voted out win the game, and this year saw a good chunk of challenge beasts not only make it to merge but the end and one of them win.

Looks like a few posters here missed the point of what was said.

Have to remember that these guys are competing in s**t conditions, especially that night. Feeling drained physically and mentally, they can be forgiven for expressing themselves for long standing feelings that were bubbling to the surface. They did well to express themselves and clarify that they weren't targeted about race. They've shown a shitload more courage than the many people have pulled themselves for the game for weak reasons.

Furthermore, I've got no issues with broader discussion at tribals considering the only thing that ever makes them interesting is blindsided AFTER the vote, or someone losing their s**t before hand.Beats the same monotonous straight bat players constantly do every week.

I think the current US format is the future of Survivor IMO, at least does a better job of covering s**t players. Our last two seasons have seen a player get voted out win the game, and this year saw a good chunk of challenge beasts not only make it to merge but the end and one of them win.
You may enjoy these broad discussions on issues of race relations that have nothing to do with the show, but if every season keeps getting bogged down with them then I'm out.

The danger of this stuff isn't just this season, it's everyone that now follows. The pressure on not voting out a coloured player, especially if you are coloured yourself is going to ruin the gameplay that is the essence of the show.

It's really disappointing in this season too as it's been a good one so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Survivor, well at least this season, is over.

As soon as a contestant writes down Drea or Maryanne on the parchment they will now be labelled racist.

Which is unfair really.

Its Drea's or Maryanne's to lose from here.
Yes, that is absolutely what will happen

You may enjoy these broad discussions on issues of race relations that have nothing to do with the show, but if every season keeps getting bogged down with them then I'm out.

The danger of this stuff isn't just this season, it's everyone that now follows. The pressure on not voting out a coloured player, especially if you are coloured yourself is going to ruin the gameplay that is the essence of the show.

It's really disappointing in this season too as it's been a good one so far.

I'm hopeful that won't happen, I think with Maryanne and Drea it was a symbolic gesture that they would be happy to ruin their long term gameplay by both playing their idols based on how they were feeling at the moment.

I'm just reserving judgement on the following episodes before assuming that race is going to play a major factor in voting beyond that episode.

Also 41 had a lot more discussions on race, and that never stopped Shan voting out JD, Liana voting out Abraham, Danny and Deshawn voting out Shan, or Shan and Liana voting for Erica over Deshawn to win.
Last season was a mess and yes I agree that it all seemed to get forgotten later when the lure of the money gets even stronger - especially since the race thing was actually never actually a thing in determining the winner. It was again "perception" based upon things that happen outside of the game.

I might have been overstating the risk, but you can't tell me that this is not going to be an ongoing factor in the future for future casts if there are several black contestants about to be voted off in a row? That's my fear.

Look, there's probably nothing that can de done about it - it's a reflection of life in the USA. It's just unfortunate that it impacts the game so much of recent times. I don't blame Drea or Maryanne as I believe that they were genuine in their reactions and I feel for them (but to repeat myself I believe that it is their experiences outside of the game that forms those beliefs).

Hopefully it all gets forgotten next episode and they focus on the game again like last season.

Johnathan setting the cross-fit movement back a couple of years with how he tried to navigate the Drea vote.

I don't really understand the Hai vote.

Drea is perceptive as hell. Lindsay and Omar right up there too. I don't have any takes about what happened at the end, other than it would be foolish to think that Drea and Maryanne weren't going to feel someway about it when they saw Rocks up there.

I think Maryanne and Drea did exceptionally well in articulating themselves in that manner. Sharing ones experience can be difficult enough at the best of times.

Under duress, fatigued, food deprived etc, they really spoke brilliantly. And they went to considerable lengths to differentiate between the choices players were making during the game, versus their outside life experiences which clearly have a tremendous impact.

Drea played the room beautifully.

She thought she was in the gun for eviction but not willing to give up her hidden immunity idol, or any other advantages to early, she played the race card.

Cunning as all hell.

I don't have any takes about what happened at the end, other than it would be foolish to think that Drea and Maryanne weren't going to feel someway about it when they saw Rocks up there.

Obviously they did actually vote Rocks out but really people shouldn't have been totally shocked it was him. Everyone had Romeo pegged as the boot but Romeo could have successfully played the shot in the dark for all they knew and if he did do that Rocks was going to be the guy going home. If they were voting Romeo as a group, Omar/Hai would have put one on Rocks as insurance for sure after his failed mens alliance attempt.

It was entertaining but a bit risky by Omar. Does he want to take Mike to the end? Otherwise Mike and Hai swap notes on the jury and could hurt him big time at the final tribal, especially if it turns into a woke fest and you have half the jury voting for the best player and the other half voting for social justice. I think Hai would take it alright but we know Mike doesn't take it well and will hold a grudge, you wouldn't want to lose by a spiteful Mike vote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back