FTA-TV Survivor: David vs. Goliath

Remove this Banner Ad

I've obviously missed a lot because I don't understand why a bunch of Goliaths did what they did

Kara's moves made no sense to me as she has no real relationships with the Davids. She needed to pin her hopes on the Goliaths even more than Mike did. That was her only hope.

Can kind of understand Alec and Allison throwing it out there to try and work with the Davids moving forward but gee the Davids at tribal were pretty narky so maybe they have missed the boat there.

Kara's moves made no sense to me as she has no real relationships with the Davids. She needed to pin her hopes on the Goliaths even more than Mike did. That was her only hope.

Can kind of understand Alec and Allison throwing it out there to try and work with the Davids moving forward but gee the Davids at tribal were pretty narky so maybe they have missed the boat there.
Mike really has disappointed me last 2 episodes.
The David's were right about what they said at tribal. Just because you flip to the David's doesn't mean you are at the bottom. Mike would have been used by Nick to get further in the game. Allison and gabby could have worked together. Before the Idol play last week Davie and Carl were pretty isolated from the other 3.

They can still reverse it, but They have to be willing to cut some goliaths in the process.

If they can get through the kara/angelina/Mike votes and build something with Karl and Davie or christian/Gabby/Nick then they can help flip the script and male final 5.

Been a long time since I’ve been this into a series of Survivor, this season has been excellent so far. Grabbed me from the first episode.

I think the casting is just right, some very likeable personalities so far and the game play is quality.

Enjoyed what the Davids are engineering here, despite being on the wrong side of the numbers they have changed the game.

Dan would be kicking himself. Was in an excellent position with two idols. Wasted one on Angelina and now he gets nailed by the nullifier (which to be fair, was unlucky for him as I don’t believe I’ve ever seen this advantage before).

Was just thinking actually - for those who are much more knowledgeable than myself when it comes to Survivor. Is this the first time an idol nullifier advantage has been introduced?

They had it in Australian Survivor S2 (but it could be played after an idol was played). This is the first time it has been introduced in US Survivor

They had it in Australian Survivor S2 (but it could be played after an idol was played). This is the first time it has been introduced in US Survivor

Thanks for that, am not familiar at all with the Aussie version. Interesting though that it can be played after an idol is. That’s a damn powerful advantage.

I like that this nullifier needed to be calculated, it had to be pre-planned. A lot of skill involved with that, it was some cunning work by the Davids. Drew it out of Dan by preventing Allison from voting.

Great season so far. As good as I can remember.

Pretty good episode.

As much as I was happy to see Dan go, it never seems quite fair when someone gets out on something like this idol nullifier which has never been in the show before- Dan had no way of knowing it could be a possibility. I guess that's the show- it's not meant be fair- but still didn't feel quite right. I would have preferred if they had announced it somehow to the cast at the start of the season that there will be an idol nullifier in the game. It did make for a fun episode though.

Pretty good episode.

As much as I was happy to see Dan go, it never seems quite fair when someone gets out on something like this idol nullifier which has never been in the show before- Dan had no way of knowing it could be a possibility. I guess that's the show- it's not meant be fair- but still didn't feel quite right. I would have preferred if they had announced it somehow to the cast at the start of the season that there will be an idol nullifier in the game. It did make for a fun episode though.
I was okay with it because Carl still had to choose the right person so there was no guarantee that it would come off.

If it could have been played after Dan played his idol then he could feel a bit hard done by imo.

If I recall correctly, there was a recent season with a ‘super idol’, one that can be played after the votes are read. Just about the most powerful advantage there has been.

Basically the opposite of this idol nullifier from the Aust version that can be played afterwards. Not too sure if that’s too much power at once, and I don’t believe that super idol was retained (in fact, I don’t believe it ever ended up being played).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't really have to get it right. You just nullify the person you are voting for and then who cares who it is actually played for.

Genuine question, is that how the nullifier works? I thought it nullifiers a person a who has an idol, which is not necessarily the same person as who you are voting for.

ie, just say the Davids actually voted for Allison. And they used the nullifier with her name on it. But she doesn’t actually have the idol, Dan does.

And what if Dan plays his idol, but for Allison. Now, is that negated? Because I thought it prevents someone from playing an idol, not receiving one. In this scenario, can Dan play his idol as per normal (because he hasn’t been nullified, Allison has).

Not sure if this made sense, but it’s got me curious now.

Genuine question, is that how the nullifier works? I thought it nullifiers a person a who has an idol, which is not necessarily the same person as who you are voting for.

ie, just say the Davids actually voted for Allison. And they used the nullifier with her name on it. But she doesn’t actually have the idol, Dan does.

And what if Dan plays his idol, but for Allison. Now, is that negated? Because I thought it prevents someone from playing an idol, not receiving one. In this scenario, can Dan play his idol as per normal (because he hasn’t been nullified, Allison has).

Not sure if this made sense, but it’s got me curious now.

The nullifier prevents the nominated player from being protected by an idol (regardless of whether they play it for themselves or have someone else play it for them). So in the case you mention, the idol is negated because Allison can't be protected by the idol.

The nullifier prevents the nominated player from being protected by an idol (regardless of whether they play it for themselves or have someone else play it for them). So in the case you mention, the idol is negated because Allison can't be protected by the idol.

Thank you. Well in that case, it seems pretty clear cut then.

I wonder if this advantage will hang around in future seasons.

I don't think Alec has missed the boat as he flipped pre merge plus his information previous vote enabled the David's to play the idol for Christian ie if it wasn't for Alec the David's might have already been screwed as prior to latest TC Christian would be gone, John still there and Dan still with two idols. 7-4 Goliath advantage would be hard to overcome even with steal a vote, idol nullifier and one idol. (Would also mean Christian not around to find the latest idol).

It is interesting that the Goliaths have sat back thinking the numbers would get them thru - haven’t bothered looking for idols.

Can’t remember if Alec has an idol?
1. Just because it's not shown doesn't mean they aren't looking
2. How did Dan find two idols without bothering to look?
3. I don't think Alec has a hidden idol (but I didn't see the first 2 episodes).

1. Just because it's not shown doesn't mean they aren't looking
2. How did Dan find two idols without bothering to look?
3. I don't think Alec has a hidden idol (but I didn't see the first 2 episodes).

I was referring that Dan got his idols in the first couple of episodes and nothing since.

Once he and Davie played their idols, another one would have been put back into the game, they didn’t bother looking, why? Coz they thought they had the numbers.

I was referring that Dan got his idols in the first couple of episodes and nothing since.

Once he and Davie played their idols, another one would have been put back into the game, they didn’t bother looking, why? Coz they thought they had the numbers.
They probably have been looking but idol searching is only shown when it fits the narrative of the episode or an idol is found so we haven’t seen it.

I always just presume that there’s lot of searching for an idol, especially after one has been used and re-enters the game.

But there’s so much that doesn’t make the edit. Approx 2-3 days worth of camp footage gets cut down to approx 20-25 minutes an episode, plenty has to be left on the cutting room floor.

It is interesting that the Goliaths have sat back thinking the numbers would get them thru - haven’t bothered looking for idols.

Can’t remember if Alec has an idol?
It took 3 advantages to pull off 2 blindsides, and in neither situation would more Idols have helped their situation. The Idol Nulifier was a new advantage that Dan had no way of knowing about, and he wasn't ever able to find it.
I don't think Alec has missed the boat as he flipped pre merge plus his information previous vote enabled the David's to play the idol for Christian ie if it wasn't for Alec the David's might have already been screwed as prior to latest TC Christian would be gone, John still there and Dan still with two idols. 7-4 Goliath advantage would be hard to overcome even with steal a vote, idol nullifier and one idol. (Would also mean Christian not around to find the latest idol).
I like Alec's play to save Christian the first time. However I think the Davids are closer than ever and don't really need him any more. I think he should have voted with the David's this vote.

It took 3 advantages to pull off 2 blindsides, and in neither situation would more Idols have helped their situation. The Idol Nulifier was a new advantage that Dan had no way of knowing about, and he wasn't ever able to find it.

I like Alec's play to save Christian the first time. However I think the Davids are closer than ever and don't really need him any more. I think he should have voted with the David's this vote.

I’m assuming we get a bit more insight into Alec’s and Allison’s thoughts in the next episode, when they return from tribal.

Saw them whispering to each other last week at tribal when the advantages were played. I’m guessing they decided to hedge their bets on Angelina rather than Dan just incase it wasn’t actually Dan who was being targeted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back