FTA-TV Survivor: David vs. Goliath

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn. Damn. Damn. Smart move, though, because Christian was going to win it all if he got through to the FTC.
1. Alison has nine lives.
2. Nobody likes Angelina, a perfect person to take to Final 3. She should be a professional beggar, perhaps a YouTube e-beggar.
3. Dang, Nick. What a waste, but I guess you couldn't take a chance.
4. Enough with the balancing crap for deciding the Immunity Challenge.
5. Good moves by Mike and Davie. Davie taking Mike on the Reward and then talking to Kara to vote him off really was Goodfellasish.
6. I'm pissed off because now I have to change my avatar again.
5. Davie taking Mike - I think you mean Davie taking Nick. More or less agree with the rest.

I don't think it was a bad move by Gaby. She was right that if she didn't move on Christian, she had no chance of winning. It would have worked, if it didn't get blown up by Davey. However, in regards to timing, I think maybe she could have held off for 1 more vote (odd numbers tend to be better times to do these huge blindsides).

Great work by Davey this episode. Also, Great plan from the group who flushed Christian's idol and also sent Gaby home (Mike, Angelina and Nick).
I don't think it was a bad move by Gaby either but the timing was wrong and her execution was off - needed to be smarter about who to let in on the move as involving too many increases the chances of someone doing what Davie did. Sometimes it can't be helped though, eg Davie tried to exclude Mike from plan to get Nick out and Alison spilt the beans.

Didn’t make sense to me at first either but upon reflection it appears that was a considered tactic. To get Christian to play his idol, whilst having Gabby as plan B.

Win win either way for Davey, Nick and co. Smart gameplay, enjoying what has been unfolding this season. Quality viewing.
I think Davie voting for Christian after warning him is also to conceal from the others that he spilt the beans.

I think Davie voting for Christian after warning him is also to conceal from the others that he spilt the beans.
That partially answers this poster from another site who was confused about the voting:

Now explain the voting to me:

Nick targets Alison then turns his sights on Davie, but ends up voting for Christian.
Mike wants Christian gone but ends up voting for Davie.
Davie wants Nick gone, but then changes his mind and votes for Alison. (that one kinda makes sense)
Mike and Alison vote together.
Kara, Angelina and Nick vote together.

What is going on???

Someone responds:

There's a thing players do to deal with Hidden Immunity Idols. It's called "Splitting the Vote". This way, even if the HII is played for one of their targets, the other target will go.

The first poster then questions the editing and what we don't get to see:

So the Goliaths thought Davie or Christian had an HII? Where was that in the episode?

If they were just splitting the votes, then why did Mike vote for Davie instead of Christian, the guy Mike was targeting? Why did Nick vote for Christian instead of Davie? It can't be because he was voting with Mike, because Mike voted for Davie. And why did Alison vote for Davie instead of Christian, the guy who has been gunning for her the past few weeks? Where in the show were any of these votes explained or discussed?

I remember when Survivor was so much simpler. :p

What I find a bit bizarre is how quickly the Davids squandered their position after engineering their way into the ascendancy.

This was despite behind the numbers. Yes they had some fortunate advantages but that’s part of it. After taking down Dan and Alec, I feel they’ve turned too quickly on each other.

Mike and Alison were there ruing their opportunities earlier in the game to side with the Davids. But instead of being taken out, the next three to go have been Carl, Gabby and Christian.

Yes I know tribal lines only go so far, especially this deep into the game. But if they didn’t turn on Carl so quickly (off the back of Gabby being pissed off with him), then it would be a very different outlook for some of them now.

Take Nick for example. Was in an excellent position with them believing he has 2 idols. But all of sudden, that’s amounted to nothing and now he’s a big chance of being next.

Agree. It’s hard to see Davey and Nick not being the next two to go.

Reckon Davie and Nick can get thru if it involves strength, not so much balance.

When players go off in the dark or first light looking for idols, we probably don’t see the others at camp realising it. After all, it is not as if they are going for food and probably too long for a toilet stop. All part of the editing.

I’m guessing there’s going to be a few people Nick annoyed with his discovery of the fake idol play. He’s possibly a bigger target right now than Davie, who is close behind.

Mike/Alison/Kara and Angelina are sitting in a good position. They have the numbers and can side together now that the Davids have imploded.

That partially answers this poster from another site who was confused about the voting:

Now explain the voting to me:

Nick targets Alison then turns his sights on Davie, but ends up voting for Christian.
Mike wants Christian gone but ends up voting for Davie.
Davie wants Nick gone, but then changes his mind and votes for Alison. (that one kinda makes sense)
Mike and Alison vote together.
Kara, Angelina and Nick vote together.

What is going on???

Someone responds:

There's a thing players do to deal with Hidden Immunity Idols. It's called "Splitting the Vote". This way, even if the HII is played for one of their targets, the other target will go.

The first poster then questions the editing and what we don't get to see:

So the Goliaths thought Davie or Christian had an HII? Where was that in the episode?

If they were just splitting the votes, then why did Mike vote for Davie instead of Christian, the guy Mike was targeting? Why did Nick vote for Christian instead of Davie? It can't be because he was voting with Mike, because Mike voted for Davie. And why did Alison vote for Davie instead of Christian, the guy who has been gunning for her the past few weeks? Where in the show were any of these votes explained or discussed?

I remember when Survivor was so much simpler. :p
Much of the confusion can also be explained by the TV edit - they are going to edit it in such a way as to dramatise the expected result eg if all the audience knows who the next vote is going to be is it as enticing to watch? No. For mine five players worked together and split the vote 3-2 between Christian and Davie, probably with the theory that they might have one idol between them. Even if the idol is played for the person receiving 3 votes the five can then target the other in the revote (ie target Davie after the 2-2 tie with Alison.)

Much of the confusion can also be explained by the TV edit - they are going to edit it in such a way as to dramatise the expected result eg if all the audience knows who the next vote is going to be is it as enticing to watch? No. For mine five players worked together and split the vote 3-2 between Christian and Davie, probably with the theory that they might have one idol between them. Even if the idol is played for the person receiving 3 votes the five can then target the other in the revote (ie target Davie after the 2-2 tie with Alison.)
Exactly. Why would you want to watch something when you basically know what the outcome will be. Also, the editing must include the drama, no matter how unimportant it is. The person I quoted has been complaining that the editing has been different this season, that it doesn't provide the important behind-the-scenes details prior to the TC, not to give away who gets voted out, but, rather, to provide the audience with some inkling that something is afoot. I'll have to think about that.

I might try to have a look at Borneo again to see the original. I've never seen a repeat of the entire season. Can't believe it was on over 18 years ago. A summer replacement. LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Editing has definitely been clever, to emphasise or create supposed tension when the vote itself is a lot more clearcut.

The writing was on the wall for Christian I feel when there wasn’t any mention of him as a target in last week’s preview.

Editing has definitely been clever, to emphasise or create supposed tension when the vote itself is a lot more clearcut.

The writing was on the wall for Christian I feel when there wasn’t any mention of him as a target in last week’s preview.
Vote might be reasonably clear cut but there was still enough uncertainty for Nick that he played his HII when he didn't even get a vote.

Vote might be reasonably clear cut but there was still enough uncertainty for Nick that he played his HII when he didn't even get a vote.

Valid point. There was some mind games going on with Nick and Davie beforehand. Nick definitely misread the reactions to when he got up to play his idol.

Or perhaps the gameplay has advanced to such a state that they were prepared for him to play a fake idol, and perhaps even put on a bit of “oh s**t” reaction when he got up in order to make him play the real one?

Wouldn’t surprise me if so.

That could be the move that ruins his game. I can’t see him winning 3 immunities in a row and he’s one of the biggest threats left. No one wants to sit next too him at FTC.

If Mike was as influential on the vote as what the edit made out, then he could be in some strife. The “he’s running this game” talk could start.
No one wants to go to the end with a David, not even the Davids. That's why they've all turned on each other in the last 3 TC. If David and Nick make it to the end, they have the best chance of winning. They've made moves, played and found advantages and will have to win Immunities/Find more advantages or make some ballsy moves to get to the end. They could still lose to a Goliath getting all the votes but I doubt that will happen.

I think Mike is playing a really good game. He's voted with the majority every vote post merge. He's been the instigator of a couple of big votes and the one to lead the Charge against Christian last episode. His only negative is he's a rich celebrity and people may not want to reward his game for that reason.

Everyone keeps talking Allison up as a threat, she's good at challenges and well liked. But she hasn't made any moves (and been critisized for not doing so). She's been the target quite a few times.

Kara is the Natalie White of the season. If people are discounting Mike because he's rich and Angelina because she's a goat, then Kara could win in the end. She's popular with the Brochacho Goliaths, and was friendly with Karl/David from Vuku. Gabby might vote for her to ensure a female victory.

I think Mike is playing a really good game.
Sorry to snip but I agree. I think though that the post-modern Survivor doesn't always reward good game play. Juries aren't quite as personal and bitter as they once were (although that's still a factor) and gameplay is a big deciding factor at final tribal. You need to play a good game, be recognised as having played a good game but, to avoid being seen as a threat, not particularly stand out as having played a good game, at least until the final couple of days. Mike may have timed his run perfectly because he was well under the radar (based on the edit) for long periods of the game in terms of "big moves". The question in my mind is what the successful decapitation of Christian means for his perceived "threat level".

A week ago, he was alongside Angelina as my perfect two to go to final tribal with because he was perceived as a bit inert and had the further disincentive of already being rich and famous. Now, I think those who respect the game will look at him and say "he actually changed the course of the game" - which puts him ahead on gameplay compared to the other Goliaths. Now I think Angelina/Allison are the right combo for final 3 if I were Nick or Davey. I'd want Mike out of the running.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back