FTA-TV Survivor: Samoa (season 19) *SPOILERS*

matty p

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Survivor: Samoa, the 19th season of the long running reality series, premieres on September 17th.

The first full commercial for the season was released yesterday in the US. It will feature 20 castaways, includng apparently "the biggest villain ever".

Here's the video:

[YOUTUBE]mHdOnFM5wzU[/YOUTUBE]

The cast is released tomorrow. There is also a rumour that one of the cast members will be back for season 20, an All-Stars season which is currently filming now, also in Samoa.

matty p

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
The cast for Survivor: Samoa has been released:

survivorgroup19.jpg

Their bios can be found here: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/bio/

Here's a video of Jeff's cast assessment:

[YOUTUBE]MdAAafs9eTw[/YOUTUBE]

And here's a Meet The Cast video:

[YOUTUBE]uWuUDc9Zrts[/YOUTUBE]

You can also watch individual videos for each cast member on youtube.

Russell H will be the "Biggest Villain of all time". Looks like a very interesting cast.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
My first observation.......Good God, that Southern blonde in the bikini is amazing!

Im more of a Marissa fan myself. :D

I did learn something though that made me a bit less enthusiastic about this season, but nevertheless it should still be good. Ignorance is bliss :(

likka

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Mar 12, 2004
Rehab
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good work matty_p although TBH I'd rather watch the start of the season knowing absolutely nothing about the contestants or the location.

I don't mind looking at pics of the season's cast, but it really annoys me when Mark Burnett leaks minor spoilers (ie biggest villain ever tag) to try and drum up expectation in a season.

In these instances it usually means I don't enjoy some sort of twist or epic moment as much as I should as I kind of anticipated it was coming.

Hopefully its a good season though, tough competition to better Micronesia and Tocantins (less said about Gabon the better).

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
In the meanwhile, Im obtaining the China season to watch. I think I know who the winner is already though, but from word of mouth, it was a good season.Taking for ever to obtain though, the sea of torrents is very slow :D

likka

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Mar 12, 2004
Rehab
AFL Club
Collingwood
China is brilliant, so many awesome twists and turns. The casting in that season was just about perfect.

Only season I haven't seen is Marquesas, which I think was season 4... instead Nein showed their woeful home grown Survivor attempt instead.

Rohan25

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
China is brilliant, so many awesome twists and turns. The casting in that season was just about perfect.

Only season I haven't seen is Marquesas, which I think was season 4... instead Nein showed their woeful home grown Survivor attempt instead.

That's the only one I haven't seen as well. It's all there on todou, but it can be a little bewildering trying to navigate that site. I always intended to buy the DVD, but they seem to have dried up too.

likka

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Mar 12, 2004
Rehab
AFL Club
Collingwood
Managed to find a Marquesas torrent, but the quality is quite poor... oh well, better than nothing I suppose. Now I just have to cross fingers there are enough seeding to get the whole season.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
China is a very impressive season, even though I already know the winner. Always interesting to notice the edits too with this knowledge in hand.

1 Week to go!

matty p

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Here are the preview ads for Survivor: Samoa, which premieres Friday morning our time. All of the ads have been centred around the villain Russell H. He's pure evil.

[YOUTUBE]k5EzY6SEqmI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]nPIGrIJR8i4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]KJ9QpzmguJc[/YOUTUBE]

Multiple alliances, pouring out all the water, burning the socks, hiding the flint, telling the New Orleans hurricane lie, what else will he do?

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Cannot wait, it has been a long one, thats for sure. Im not watching any more video's, already spoiled it a bit too much :D Hopefully this season will be as good as the excellent seasons of late (China, Micronesia and Tocantins).

That Russel H looks rough and primed for a fight. It will be interesting to see him play the game.

Rohan25

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
I mostly enjoyed the first episode, even with 20 cast I find I actually can remember some names and faces better than I thought I would to this point. And that's in spite of evil Russell being taking up half the episode alone just mwahaha-ing.

I don't know about this guy. I mean, his basic reasoning about causing tension in the tribe while working hard and being everyone's friend, so they are distrust everyone except him, is almost logical, but it won't do him much good if Foa Foa lose the next 5 immunity challenges, which is where they're heading. Also, I don't think burning socks and emptying water canteens will just be brushed off so willingly by the rest of the tribe after 15 days when they're all hungry, thirsty, sore, and irritable. He wasn't exactly stealthy about it, anyone of that tribe could have woken up and seen him at the canteens or the fire. Some sharp questioning would probably have uncovered his duplicity on the first day.

*sigh* Goodbye Marissa, we hardly knew you.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I mostly enjoyed the first episode, even with 20 cast I find I actually can remember some names and faces better than I thought I would to this point. And that's in spite of evil Russell being taking up half the episode alone just mwahaha-ing.

I don't know about this guy. I mean, his basic reasoning about causing tension in the tribe while working hard and being everyone's friend, so they are distrust everyone except him, is almost logical, but it won't do him much good if Foa Foa lose the next 5 immunity challenges, which is where they're heading. Also, I don't think burning socks and emptying water canteens will just be brushed off so willingly by the rest of the tribe after 15 days when they're all hungry, thirsty, sore, and irritable. He wasn't exactly stealthy about it, anyone of that tribe could have woken up and seen him at the canteens or the fire. Some sharp questioning would probably have uncovered his duplicity on the first day.

*sigh* Goodbye Marissa, we hardly knew you.

It is a pity that Marissa went first episode. However, while she was hot, she had a grating voice, so its bittersweet.

Russell's plan will begin to come unstuck eventually IMO, surely with the scheming, coupled with the mysterious occurrences, people are going to detect the rogue in him. When he has to talk his way out, then we will see how good he really is at this game.

The other tribe seem very optimistic, but on the other hand quite lazy as well, and with the lack of hardline leadership , they may find themselves in trouble too.

It will be interesting though to see whether Russell H. can burn Foa Foa into the ground.

However, you can just tell that Russel H is the Coach of this season in the way that he will take up 75% of the episode every week.

matty p

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
My analysis of the episode:

- Tribes: Foa Foa seem to be the more interesting tribe and will probably continue to get more of the focus

- Russell H: In case anyone couldn't tell from the ads, he's the star of the season. Will be very interesting to see how his strategy plays out.

- Shambo: The potential fan favourite for this season. I'm not the biggest fan but she provides a nice contrast to all the young ones in Galu.

- Betsy: Already suspicious of Russell. Had a very interesting first episode. I think she will win. The season looks like it'll be about the cop (Betsy) trying to catch the criminal (Russell H).

- Ben: He seems like Tyson to Russell's Coach. Came out with some hilarious lines, bit of a jerk. He's the antithesis to what JT was last season - He's the not-so-good ole country boy.

- Russell S: I love the contrast between the 2 Russells - Good vs Evil, Black vs White, Tall vs Short, Positive for Galu vs Negative for Foa Foa. Russell S will be one of the fan favourites if he lasts a while.

- Ashley: My favourite. Seems a bit naive but I hope she can go far.

- Jaison: Loved how he could swim and therefore destroyed Mike's stereotype. I didn't like Mike and Liz bringing up the race issue in this episode.

- Marisa: Sad to see her go first. She had potential to be a good character.

- The rest of Foa Foa: Mick (the leader) is boring, don't like Liz or Mike, Natalie basically wasn't shown.

- The rest of Galu: Erik seems funny and Dave has potential. John seems like he has no idea how to play the game. Brett (reminds me of Erik from Micronesia) and the girls on Galu weren't really shown.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
To be fair, it is slightly difficult to show all 20 people extensively in 45 minutes. I think one of the ones that gets the quiet edit will be in the final four, always seems to be the case.

Russel is the new Coach though, taking over the very large slice of the coverage pie. It got so bad last season, the show should of been renamed the Benjamin Wade hour. 'Survivor: Tocantins' was genuinely quite misleading.

Mar 13, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United
Why do all the cuties go out first? :(

This season definitely has potential with Russell, what a nutter! I actually liked Coach but this guy is on a different planet. Hope he stays a while to make the show interesting.

Booma

Debutant
Aug 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I couldn't believe it when I saw Russel emptying everyones water bottles, this guy is going to create some classic moments if he sticks around. As much as I hate him for being such a delusional and cocky a-hole, he will make some sparks fly.

Found it hilarious when he made that statement about what happens when you 'play with fire', as he is doing just that. But I guess he doesn't really care to much as he isn't in it for the money. He was quite full of it in saying that he came on to show how easy it is to win Survivor, as the way he is playing it, he doesn't stand a chance.

Felt sorry for Marissa as she, along with the police officer was one who doubted Russel. You gotta feel for her, she is hardly going to reject an alliance that early in the game and she was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. I thought John's tribemates were quite harsh on him in regards to the swimming leg as he was clearly beaten by a tremendous athlete, and if it was anyone else they wouldn't have been so harsh on him. At least two people said that he should go home purely based off that performance, which is ridiculous, even if he did do a bad swim, he looks like he'll be better in challenges, as he is educated and could well be a physical threat, as opposed to Shambo. I think John was quite reasonable in taking his time in approaching the construction of the shelter. This is a place where some people could potentially be spending weeks living in, and John merely wanted the best possible result, that would result in the most comfortable shelter which would benefit the tribe when it came to keeping dry and getting whatever sleep possible.

Was surprised Shambo was picked as the 'smart' one, when that guy with the huge IQ, who definetely looks a bit like a nerd was standing there. Hope to see more of him as the game progresses.

Audacious

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
im not liking this Russell. Last season Coach was sort of likeable because of his arrogant quotes: "Thank you god for creating me as an individual" for example.

Russell is just the slimey dirty scumbag that you wouldnt want your daughter to be within 100 yards of. Its unfortunate that Marissa and Betsy didnt share their collective thoughts on Russell together. They both suspect him and if they could have discussed their suspicions with the others Russell might have gone.

However Russell doesnt strike me as being particularly smart. Makes you wonder how he became owner of some rich oil company eh. Must have been blind luck cos it appears he has shit4brains.

Audacious

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
ok just wanna add that i hope Jaison wins. The whole black guy dominating the swimming was a winner for me, and he seems like a top bloke too.

Who i think will win: Laura.

Booma

Debutant
Aug 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had quite a funny observation, I'm sure there are two Law students and 3 people who are practicing law on the show. What is the deal with that?

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Jaison would have to be one of my early favourites, Betsy too. Shambo is quite a character too I think.

However, I don't even know some of the players names, many barely got a mention in the first episode so get back to me in a couple of weeks.

I would be suprised if Russel H makes it far.Like a horse who bolted from the starting blocks, just tried to implement his game too early. Would be much better to be kind for the first bit then slowly begin to subtly implement evil plans.

Apparently though, he will be back for season 20, Heroes v Villains, though that is speculative at this stage.

likka

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Mar 12, 2004
Rehab
AFL Club
Collingwood
Finally got around to watching it and **** me I don't think I've laughed so hard during an episode of Survivor.

I think Russell has become my favourite contestant ever, and I've only seen him in one episode...
- creating the "dumb ass girl" alliance
- emptying everyone else's water containers overnight
- the New Orleans bullshit story about losing his dog and spending 2 days on the roof of his house during Katrina
- throwing other contestants socks secretly into the fire had me in stitches

:D :thumbsu: :D

Brilliant casting to include a sociopathic oil tycoon millionaire whose only purpose for being on the show is to make everybody else's experience difficult. He doesn't need the money, he is purely there for his own pleasure, messing with people's minds all the way. Here's hoping he manages to bullshit and scheme his way through to the merge at least.

I absolutely despised Coach last season, mainly because he was a delusional phony elevating himself above others due to make believe "events" he invented in his own fantasy world. I hate people whose self esteem and self worth is based solely on lies, and in Coach's case very obvious and ridiculous lies.

Russell on the other hand is completely different. He doesn't care what people think of him and will seemingly play whatever role he needs to try and hatch his evil little schemes.

I'm also hoping that Russell is included in the All Star season, filmed directly after this one also in Samoa. None of those former contestants will have seen him, and whilst many will initially concentrate on those they know Russell will be free to burn more socks!

Back