FTA-TV Survivor Season 39: Island of the Idols

Remove this Banner Ad

What'd he say? I don't bother watching reunions any more
His usual love everybody crap.

Most people go overboard after they've been voted out and doll up for the injury. She just rocked up on the jury in the same gear she was voted out in :thumbsu:
I pray that she at least washed it.

Rubbish season but at least it was a good final episode with Dean getting interesting. Funny that the winner didn't go the the Island of the Idols, funny that Jeff looked like the black Wiggle in the finale. Some real delusional people in the jury to.

From a historically unlosable position Dean managed two whole jury votes, justifying the bimbo persona assigned to him. To be fair, he only fell into that fire-making position because of an uninformed decision made by the most oblivious finalist ever in Noura. At least they both owned their games in the Outwit portion of the FTC discussion, confessing they had no strategy nor any idea about what was going on--just sit back, chillax, and let everybody else make the moves... exactly what "real fans" respect, right?

With Elaine out of the way, it was an EZ road to victory for Tommy, who understands the game because he understands people. Relied on his relationships and self-awareness, rather than idols and advantages. Quite a fitting winner considering the season's throwback feel. A lot of memorable moments from the final tribal. My personal favourite was Aaron saying that Dean's achievements shouldn't be undermined, or in other words: "stop trying to win, Tommy! waahhh"

Very interesting chapter of Survivor which will hold up over time a lot better than the hysterical reactions to it. On the IoI twist/theme, it was only as good as the effort and thought put into it. If they try it again, I don't know why it wouldn't still be half-baked (possibly with less appealing mentors too), so hopefully this was a one-and-done.

I still wants the Island to play more of a role in the end.

Season 40 looks good - Feb is not too far away at least

I liked the season overall. Tommy a deserved winner, managed to eliminate the threats at 5 and 7 then sneak his way into FTC, despite being the best at fire in all likelihood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine after twenty years, getting so many iconic winners to agree to come back

And you bring back Edge of Extinction.

fu**. Off.
People hated All Stars and Game changers because the final contestants were the all so rans. This is just risk minimization.

It depends who they send there, but Im hoping more quit, or suffer rather than the kumbaya we got in 38.

This was easily the worst series of Survivor. I know lots of people watch tv and movies and read books to think and learn and be challenged, but I don't - it's meant to be fun, it's meant to be light entertainment. And this was just too much for me. Not in an "I don't want to think about this stuff" way, but in a "this was so against my values and I hated what was being presented as 'entertainment'" way.

It would've been different if they'd turfed Dan out when it happened.

Much as Probst tried to make a big thing about changing how they'll handle "Dan issues" in the future, they failed their first test. They put Kellee in a really awkward situation where she was expected to speak on behalf of a whole gender that's dealt with these issues forever. We don't know what happened behind the scenes, we don't know what she wanted by way of having a voice (at least I don't, cos I haven't looked into it today and no one has posted anything here) - but I thought it was really uncomfortable watching her in that situation and not being able to really answer Jeff's questions, and (I think) being visibly overwhelmed by the situation.

I feel like it was also presented as something that the show hasn't had to deal with before... and yet I seem to remember they brought Richard Hatch back for a comedy spot 5-6 years ago (the series that Cochrane won) after he sexually assaulted Susan in front of the friggen cameras, resulting in her being memorably distressed and quitting the show. I know a lot has happened over the last few years in the gender equity space, but don't pretend like this was some unprecedented issue that caught them by surprise and that they justifiably didn't have processes in place to deal with.

They got mad lucky that they've got a really exciting "Winners at War" series coming up, cos I think I'd probably be one of many 20-year Survivor addicts who would've bailed out after this season. They let down women, they let down their audience, and worst of all they let down Kellee, who they had a duty of care over as a participant in the series.

edit: the more I thought about that Hatch comedy spot the angrier I got. This was only 5-6 years ago, and they had Rudi Boetsch (RIP) on their ragging on Hatch as "a queer" as though it was a joke. Don't ******* tell me that these issues have arisen out of nowhere.

Last edited:
People hated All Stars and Game changers because the final contestants were the all so rans. This is just risk minimization.

It depends who they send there, but Im hoping more quit, or suffer rather than the kumbaya we got in 38.
You have 20 winners playing. There is no bad finale combination.

Any combination of Ben, Adam, Nick, Michelle, Sophie and Sarah would be pretty unpopular with the fandom.
First of all, Sophie is the absolute best and as long as she doesn't get her awful winner edit from South Pacific, no finale with her could be bad.

But I agree, that's not ideal, but as absolute worst case? It's fine.

You have 20 winners playing. There is no bad finale combination.
20! But I wanted them all

veruca-salt.gif

This was easily the worst series of Survivor. I know lots of people watch tv and movies and read books to think and learn and be challenged, but I don't - it's meant to be fun, it's meant to be light entertainment. And this was just too much for me. Not in an "I don't want to think about this stuff" way, but in a "this was so against my values and I hated what was being presented as 'entertainment'" way.

It would've been different if they'd turfed Dan out when it happened.

Much as Probst tried to make a big thing about changing how they'll handle "Dan issues" in the future, they failed their first test. They put Kellee in a really awkward situation where she was expected to speak on behalf of a whole gender that's dealt with these issues forever. We don't know what happened behind the scenes, we don't know what she wanted by way of having a voice (at least I don't, cos I haven't looked into it today and no one has posted anything here) - but I thought it was really uncomfortable watching her in that situation and not being able to really answer Jeff's questions, and (I think) being visibly overwhelmed by the situation.

I feel like it was also presented as something that the show hasn't had to deal with before... and yet I seem to remember they brought Richard Hatch back for a comedy spot 5-6 years ago (the series that Cochrane won) after he sexually assaulted Susan in front of the friggen cameras, resulting in her being memorably distressed and quitting the show. I know a lot has happened over the last few years in the gender equity space, but don't pretend like this was some unprecedented issue that caught them by surprise and that they justifiably didn't have processes in place to deal with.

They got mad lucky that they've got a really exciting "Winners at War" series coming up, cos I think I'd probably be one of many 20-year Survivor addicts who would've bailed out after this season. They let down women, they let down their audience, and worst of all they let down Kellee, who they had a duty of care over as a participant in the series.

edit: the more I thought about that Hatch comedy spot the angrier I got. This was only 5-6 years ago, and they had Rudi Boetsch (RIP) on their ragging on Hatch as "a queer" as though it was a joke. Don't ******* tell me that these issues have arisen out of nowhere.

Great post.

And yep, I had in the back of my mind the whole Susan/Hatch incident when Jeff was going on and on and on about how this was "the first time they had to deal with it in a season of survivor".

Horse. s**t. mate.

I've never understood why she's so highly rated by some
As a player she's a mid tier winner, but Ive heard her on RHAP many times, and she's always hilarious. She happily s**t talks anyone, and CBS cut that side of her out of South Pacific because you've got to have a likeable winner, and just left this bland nothingness instead. I could see her being a great villain on WaW if she doesn't need a winners edit.

First of all, Sophie is the absolute best and as long as she doesn't get her awful winner edit from South Pacific, no finale with her could be bad.

But I agree, that's not ideal, but as absolute worst case? It's fine.
Ok Sophie was a stretch. I love Sophie, and think she's got a good chance in 40. But if she won there would be alot that would see her as a Amber or Sarah type winner, rather than Sandra/Parvati.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back