FTA-TV Survivor Season 39: Island of the Idols

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I’d have liked her to stay around

Me too, she was the only decent bit of eye candy.

US Survivor used to have more good looking people, this is like Island of the Uglies.

Awful episode that.

Start with that bizarre flash forward thing. Wtf is the point of that.

First half of the episode is basically
1. Boring island of the idol crap
2. A rushed idol find
3. One tribe positioned as, these are the weird but likeable underdogs and these are the people who are on top who are dicks.

And from that point its very easy to work out who is going to tribal and who from that tribe is going home.

2. A rushed idol find
3. One tribe positioned as, these are the weird but likeable underdogs and these are the people who are on top who are dicks.

And from that point its very easy to work out who is going to tribal and who from that tribe is going home.
Much rather the 10-minute IoI segment, where you get to know one of the contestants better, than a separate challenge for spices.

Every idol found by accident is gonna feel rushed, I doubt there was anything else to show. Should've been less time allocated to it (i.e. none, beats me why they're hiding idols at camp at all this season).

I didn't get the sense that one faction was being portrayed as more likable than the other. It was more Jason = sneaky, Noura = annoying vs Jamal = overconfident, Molly = Parvati 2.0. The middle group could've easily voted a different way, based on what we saw.

Awful episode that.

Start with that bizarre flash forward thing. Wtf is the point of that.

2. A rushed idol find

I agree that it was a pretty dull episode compared to the first. They maybe didn't have much to work with.

They are obviously told not to reveal he who is on idol island. She also came back with the urn smashing bs
As rumour and speculation continues to mount, this excerpt from an interview with Jeff remains incontrovertible:
Let’s say you had gotten that first visit to Sandra and Boston Rob and then had to return back to your tribe. Keeping in mind that others will visit there and learn that you were lying, what would you tell your tribemates?
That was the one thing we were the most curious about: Would players keep it a secret or would they expose the entire thing? I was very impressed that out of the gate, Elizabeth, the first visitor, lied about what she experienced.

So I think it's safe to say Matt van Wagenen isn't off screen making Elizabeth or Kellee swear to secrecy. But, perhaps like the season as a whole, maybe we aren't getting the whole story about Rob and Sandra's involvement. Not hard to imagine them incepting these mere mortals with the idea that it's safer to go back and tell their tribe it was basically just Ghost Island.

I think that the longer Aussie episodes are definitely a better thing. You do get to know them all better.

ANd considering all the extra challenges the Aussie version has to come up with (longer season and separate rewards and immunity)- they still come up with some brilliant ones.

US could learn a thing or two from us.

ANd considering all the extra challenges the Aussie version has to come up with (longer season and separate rewards and immunity)- they still come up with some brilliant ones.

Australia f**k yeah!

Yeah the one hour ep is too short.

A one hour 20/30 would be better.
Nah. Prefer the short US episodes. You know what your gonna get in each episode. The Aus episodes drag on for too long.
It’s the IotI twist and the continuous new twist that they have each year that take away from the two tribes’ screen time.
Keep the game simple, in my opinion.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico

Eh, most of the challenges were just re-using the American ones.

The swimming against the tide in that river was definitely a unique one, but it could never be used on a US season because they'd be accused of being racist because most black people can't swim and don't get the opportunity to learn

I wanna see this challenge again. Because it focuses on Outwit and Outlast rather than Outplay.

AFL footy ones probably most likely all us too..
It’s usually a basketball variant of the same concept.

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners
It was a boring episode last night - I love these Harvard smart people who should excel at retaining information and yet fail in the detail.

Hey at least it wasnt buried in popcorn.

Actually...

The American version of Survivor is so "hair'est". I mean, how the hell would bald people be able to hide their easily won idols!?

milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres
Leads me to believe milhouse1 might be on the money with the theory it was suggested by production to keep the surprise of Rob/Sandra for as long as possible

Yeah still fairly convinced from the second episode they are at least very strongly pressured into not telling the truth about Rob and Sandra. From listening to a couple of podcasts (including from a reporter on the scene during the taping of the first episode), it seems that Rob and Sandra themselves are telling them to lie and what to say when they go back to their tribe. Wouldn't be surprised if producers are also in their ear about it, but if not it is at least being done through Rob and Sandra. I'm sure in this next episode whoever goes to the island will talk to Elizabeth about it, and they'll show a scene of them saying how it will be good to keep it a secret between themselves as a bond

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah still fairly convinced from the second episode they are at least very strongly pressured into not telling the truth about Rob and Sandra. From listening to a couple of podcasts (including from a reporter on the scene during the taping of the first episode), it seems that Rob and Sandra themselves are telling them to lie and what to say when they go back to their tribe. Wouldn't be surprised if producers are also in their ear about it, but if not it is at least being done through Rob and Sandra. I'm sure in this next episode whoever goes to the island will talk to Elizabeth about it, and they'll show a scene of them saying how it will be good to keep it a secret between themselves as a bond
The Ioti twist is going to be good tv, but screw with the outcome of the season. I think, much like Ghost Island and EOE, The twist is going to get pretty stale by the merge.

I also have huge concerns with why Rob and Sandra are at tribal every week. I'm expecting them to vote, or coach the jury on who they think is playing the best game.

Back