FTA-TV Survivor Season 39: Island of the Idols

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Did they even show Vince returning to camp? Don’t recall seeing it, think that was edited out. Was curious what his explanation would have been for staying overnight.

Yeah that's where it gets frustrating. They obviously edit things out to suit the narrative they want, but there's certain things that you just can't skip over. While the IOTI story isn't widely known, it's one of the most critical parts of each episode: how the tribe member handles the return to camp. They may as well skip over the immunity challenge and just go to the tribes heading back to camp or just tell us whether Vince was successful or not in completing his challenge. In fact, I'd probably prefer that.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Yeah that's where it gets frustrating. They obviously edit things out to suit the narrative they want, but there's certain things that you just can't skip over. While the IOTI story isn't widely known, it's one of the most critical parts of each episode: how the tribe member handles the return to camp. They may as well skip over the immunity challenge and just go to the tribes heading back to camp or just tell us whether Vince was successful or not in completing his challenge. In fact, I'd probably prefer that.

Agreed with everything you’ve said here. Returning to camp is “a thing” this season with the way it’s been set up by the producers and editing. To then gloss over it entirely, especially when a player has been there overnight (which would surely conjure a raft of questions from his tribe mates) is a very strange decision. This episode suffered because of that IMO.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Did they even show Vince returning to camp? Don’t recall seeing it, think that was edited out. Was curious what his explanation would have been for staying overnight.
According to exit interviews, Vince said he played a game and lost and so he had to sleep outside in the rain. He then later told the women that he lost and so had no vote. Apparently he had a brief conversation with Elizabeth about the Rob and Sandra bit but it didn't amount to anything.

Vince in the end was voted out because he was expendable for both Alliances, and was easily justifiable because he went to IOTI.

The editors made the episode more about Karishma's indeciciveness because they didn't want to highlight Vince's idiocy/naiviety, and none of the women were giving good confessionals as to why Vince was the one who had to go.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
According to exit interviews, Vince said he played a game and lost and so he had to sleep outside in the rain. He then later told the women that he lost and so had no vote. Apparently he had a brief conversation with Elizabeth about the Rob and Sandra bit but it didn't amount to anything.

Vince in the end was voted out because he was expendable for both Alliances, and was easily justifiable because he went to IOTI.

The editors made the episode more about Karishma's indeciciveness because they didn't want to highlight Vince's idiocy/naiviety, and none of the women were giving good confessionals as to why Vince was the one who had to go.

Thanks for the info, does sound like an interesting scene to play play out though. Even just for the moment between two tribe mates who have both been to that island and know the real deal.

milhouse1

All Australian
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Diego Padres
Agreed with everything you’ve said here. Returning to camp is “a thing” this season with the way it’s been set up by the producers and editing. To then gloss over it entirely, especially when a player has been there overnight (which would surely conjure a raft of questions from his tribe mates) is a very strange decision. This episode suffered because of that IMO.

Yeah, my cynical mind suggests that the producers may have been trying to reduce the connection between Vince having to make up a fake cover story about IoI to then being voted out.

It was interesting in an exit interview Vince was asked directly if he was allowed to tell the truth about IoI to his tribemates, and he basically just said that he didn't think he was allowed to answer that question. It all seems rather unfair to the contestants to put them in this awkward position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Something seriously off with this season, the game play isn't actually that bad however at no stage have I cared who went home. Not sure if it's just Survivor fatigue but can barely remember a single name after 4 eps, they just seem incredibly bland and the Idol Island isn't helping.
There's a few very similar people ill give you that.

ORANGE TRIBE:
Karishma: srilankan lady who mopes around.
Missy: African American young woman. Trying to keep Karishma around as a goat. Playing really aggressive.
Elizabeth: ex Olympic Swimmer with curly hair, was the first to go IOTI.
Elaine: the country trucker lady.
Tom: The 'Canadian' ex hockey player. Likes to nap before tribal. Working with Elaine, and the other guys.
Aaron: the tattooed AA guy.
Dean: the non tattooed guy that was close to Chelsea.

Purple Tribe:
Jamal: the AA dude with dreads.
Dan: The old touchy feely guy.
Jason: bearded, nerdy guy. Was the Caller/puzzle guy in this episode.
Jack: the long haired guy.
Tommy: the ranga in thr blue singlet.

Kellee: Asian woman who has an Idol from IOTI.
Noura: the really loud one.
Janet: the old lifesaver lady.
Lauren: the blond dreaded AA lady.

That's off the top of my head. Maybe it helps. There's a fair few guys that haven't defined themselves so far.

Seeing people make fools of themselves on this show will never get old for me. Chelsea either thought the topic of conversation at tribal council was all for show, or that Plan Z actually involved "blindsiding" the most obvious target!

Interesting how Vokai can hear a boat off in the distance, whereas the orange jokers were oblivious last week (when I first posited how they might be a terrible tribe). If this was real life, or even just a season in Kenya, Lairo would already be swinging over a crevice in a spherical wooden cage... or simply been eaten alive by lions.

The only thing I think has felt off was Karishma's hand injury. Reminded me of the scene in Game Changers with Debbie going nuts at Brad Culpepper for no reason while he supposedly sat calmly and silently. Had to have been crucial moments left on the cutting room floor in both cases that would more accurately portray what was going on.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's a few very similar people ill give you that.

ORANGE TRIBE:
Karishma: srilankan lady who mopes around.
Missy: African American young woman. Trying to keep Karishma around as a goat. Playing really aggressive.
Elizabeth: ex Olympic Swimmer with curly hair, was the first to go IOTI.
Elaine: the country trucker lady.
Tom: The 'Canadian' ex hockey player. Likes to nap before tribal. Working with Elaine, and the other guys.
Aaron: the tattooed AA guy.
Dean: the non tattooed guy that was close to Chelsea.

Purple Tribe:
Jamal: the AA dude with dreads.
Dan: The old touchy feely guy.
Jason: bearded, nerdy guy. Was the Caller/puzzle guy in this episode.
Jack: the long haired guy.
Tommy: the ranga in thr blue singlet.

Kellee: Asian woman who has an Idol from IOTI.
Noura: the really loud one.
Janet: the old lifesaver lady.
Lauren: the blond dreaded AA lady.

That's off the top of my head. Maybe it helps. There's a fair few guys that haven't defined themselves so far.

Hopefully a few can stand out after merge but it feels like it’s going to be a chore getting there. Will obviously stick with it cos it’s survivor and I love it but it’s not an easy ride this season.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
But can Rob play for the million dollar prize?
I am wondering if Rob is reading from giant cue cards off screen?
Wat was funny seeing was the snippets of earlier seasons of Young Rob and Eric.
The game has evolved though. There’s almost a predictability in what NOT to do (eg No Power Couples allowed) but also keeping the Older Players on. There was a couple of seasons there where if you were 40+ gone at the first Tribal.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Another blindside, well played by those who pulled it off. Bit of an average episode otherwise.

I must say though the tribe choosing to sit Noura out of the challenge is just about the moment of the season so far. The look on her face when she was told, after the story she concocted (which was so easily picked apart by her teammates). Outstanding stuff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back